• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help me land Utilt!

Thamoo

Smash Rookie
Well title says all. I realised all the KO potentiel of Utilt and regulary get my kills with it. But I have troubles landing em.

Normally when my opponent as 110-140% dmg I just go into 'gotta land a Utilt move' mode and spam it. I realise that its really predictable and noob but I just can't land the Utilt normally ._.

Any suggestions or ideas to set-up for a Utilt? thx in advance =)

DarkHero9360

Smash Cadet
just think of it as fox's up smash, try and bait them into jumping with your f-tilt & d-tilt ,u could also try and catch them when they try and come back on the stage (not on the edge) like dk , spotdodge and doing it works a good much of the time also like when their attack misses and the person tries to roll behind u they'll get hit if they are too close to your back.

Fishin

Smash Rookie
Yeah, also try and mix it up with other KO moves. Simple strategy but it's probably the best way of doing it.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
I suggest that EVERYONE configure their controller to set their Cstick to attack.

Tap to jump is extremely useful for DDD as it allows you to do things like DI immediately upwards while you perform a Dair.
and it lets you easily control weather you are doing a Fair or a Bair in your WOP.

and using upA for the tilt is just not fast enough.
even if you have "tap to jump" turned off to avoid jumping, it still takes too long to hold up and then A first to avoid doing an UPsmash.

setting it o the Cstick makes it SOO much easier.
you can run, sheild-cancel your dash, and uptilt directly after it.
you can Utilt directly out of a sheild.
and you can FF a Nair and immediately do n Utilt or two after it.

learning to smash with A is really verry easy.
however you will have to learn that you can now do a Nair with the Cstick by pushing it diagonally, but that becomes a benefit once you get used to it.

limitbreak

Smash Ace
I suggest that EVERYONE configure their controller to set their Cstick to attack.

Tap to jump is extremely useful for DDD as it allows you to do things like DI immediately upwards while you perform a Dair.
and it lets you easily control weather you are doing a Fair or a Bair in your WOP.

even if you have "tap to jump" turned off to avoid jumping, it still takes too long to hold up and then A first to avoid doing an UPsmash.

however you will have to learn that you can now do a Nair with the Cstick by pushing it diagonally, but that becomes a benefit once you get used to it.
Very true. C stick set to attack is the way to go. Ive tried all of the combinations for c stick and i think this might be the best set up. Especially good for forward tilting.

Thamoo

Smash Rookie
Thx for the replies everyone ^^. Several questions tho :

1. Whats a spotdodge?
2. If I set the C-stick to attack, will I still be able to do reverse glide tosses with peach? (My other main)
(3. how do I add a custum avatar? I don't like having the same as every other dedede player =p)

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Thx for the replies everyone ^^. Several questions tho :

1. Whats a spotdodge?
2. If I set the C-stick to attack, will I still be able to do reverse glide tosses with peach? (My other main)
(3. how do I add a custum avatar? I don't like having the same as every other dedede player =p)
Wait one sec. Call me stupid for asking this, but you can really set the C Stick to be used for tilt-attacks?

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
1. NOOB!
2. Go. A-way!
3. you dont

... ok, now to be serious.

1. it is holding down on the sheild and pressing down. a side-step... extreemly useful.
2. yes, all setting Cstick does is take away the ability to smash with the Cstick and adds the ability to Nair and pull off quicker tilts with the Cstick.
3. you dont... not unless you have enough money to pay monthly for a premium account.

ValorInVendetta

Smash Rookie
A note on the utilt. From what I've seen, the hit box extends further to the ground on the side that DDD is facing.From behind it can't reach shorter characters on the ground but from the front it can pick up even the shortest of characters. Landing one really is as easy as getting your opponent to stand next to you long enough to release the tilt.

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
if you have good control and get used to it, you can just tilt your joystick slightly (not enough to do a smash) to do tilts too

so you don't have to hold it and wait

Samus-T

Smash Lord
if your opponent is coming back to the level, edgehog and most of the time they are forced to recover upwards. when they land, just utilt and it should hit them. works well for me anyway

Save the Asians

Smash Cadet

The heck. This is amazingly easier and I had a concern that the aeriel attacks were going to be taken out if I switched it from smash to attack. Thanks =) very much,

Vayseth

Smash Master
Best way is to try and hit them at that percentage with a waddle dee. It'll launch them up usually every time and if you're on a stage with platforms they'll have to land sometime, usually above you. Also, if you forward throw off the edge, they'll try to jump back on and that's when you can hit it. OR, wait for them to whiff an aerial attack.

VenomInk

Smash Apprentice
Best way is to try and hit them at that percentage with a waddle dee. It'll launch them up usually every time and if you're on a stage with platforms they'll have to land sometime, usually above you. Also, if you forward throw off the edge, they'll try to jump back on and that's when you can hit it. OR, wait for them to whiff an aerial attack.
That's reaaaaly good advise...use it well

Negative Zero

Smash Apprentice
Utilt out of shield ftw? I haven't tried, but I bet you could use it instead of a shieldgrab.

MLG Mune

Smash Cadet
imo, if ur opponent is good, they know u want to utilt. i cant get a utilt on my bro unless i trick him or if he messes up a dodge. i best way is to spotdodge -> utilt. and if u think u might not hit due to distance, spot dodge -> dsmash. kills at about same percentage. if u havent spamed dtilt for a while, it can kill at like 130% and is very quick and decent range.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Go to the stickied vid archive.
cearch for the only snake vid there, and look at the last minute of that vidieo...

Nair -> Utilt.

Top Bottom