• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help me! I can't win without bananas :S

Falcord

Smash Apprentice
Which doesn't mean I'm a banana spammer.

Having bananas around is the core of my game, i play and combo so much swiftly when they're close... Toss, grab, aerial, catch, toss, aerial, smash, spike, grab, toss...

If you take "toss" out of the equation I'm dead.

I guess this characteristic is common to all the diddy players, because most of this character strategies are based on these yellow friends, but I'm sure you're not as addicted to bananas as me.

I can't win without them. Since some stages seriously screw with the "banana play" like rainbow cruise or, oh well, even battlefield (**** platforms) I find myself in a serious trouble fighting unless I'm in final destination.

I want to become better with diddy, so seriously, I need help.

What should I do to cut down on bananas? Should I practice fighting without using down-B at all to get used to it? Do you have any advice, any style of play you take specifically when you can't use them?

Thanks in advance :).

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
just do what i , and other people even with other characters, do:

whenever you do friendlies and whatnot, just dont use your best move (for diddy, it'd be bananas. Another example may be a meta knight tornado or dsmash/depending on your preference) Whenever you use a banana, instantly go pick it up and throw it off the stage.
Do that for a month or more, depending on how hard it is for you to break the habit, until your melee skills are pretty good. When you finally do use bananas in tourneys or more serious games and whatnot, you'll see alot more options

That should not only get you more accustomed to all of your moves, but help you find out the precise spacing/timing of those moves and when to use them succesfully for when your opponent isnt on their *** from a banana :laugh:

DUB

Smash Lord
Yeah I feel almost helpless on stages like Norfair and Cruise. I play really defensive without nanerz so, I just do a lot of weird movements ( dash dancing, fox trotting, just moving in unpredictable ways) until my opponent messes up for I know what they are going to do. Thank god for Diddy's quick aerials.

Oblique

Smash Apprentice
Another trick that you can do is try using a char (with no items aka Zero suit),i used Mario and got really good at combing without the use of nanerz. Then take the skills you learned and transfer it over to Diddy.

At the very least you will be able to see more possibilities.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
Develop a non-banna game. You have to understand that you need a banna game and a vicious Diddy all in one. I 0-deathed someone with Ike because they depended on Bannas.
Work on both.

Falcord

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I think I took a decission.

In every practice fight I do, both vs CPU and friends, I will kill their first stock using bananas, and the rest without using them.

This way I will spend more time practicing my banana-less diddy without losing practice with them. What do you think?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i dont know why people dont pick up secondaries in this game. its absolutely necessary. (unless you play metaknight)

Cirno

Smash Journeyman
On stages like those I use alot of smash bananas and catch them before they fall off the cliff, and keep my movements around or under a descending banana.

I don't see anything wrong with being able to fight without them, but know you don't have to.

Raidein

Smash Cadet
i dont know why people dont pick up secondaries in this game. its absolutely necessary. (unless you play metaknight)
*meh*It's just like my big bro >_>...

Back in my Melee days, He's ALWAYS been a Samus main. I'm like: "Dude. Why don't you freaking try out new characters? Maybe you can find someone better..." He didn't listen.... So over the years I countinued to own him until eventually he wasn't even a challenge to me anymore. :embarrass

So like Oblique implied, seek other characters with the possibility of learning new skills to another.

Falcord

Smash Apprentice
So why do you people think I only play diddy kong :p.

The "I can't win without bananas" applies only to the time in which I play DK. I also play lucario, marth, rob, falco and zelda to the same extent and the same level of skill (maybe a bit more with lucario, he is my true main)

Top Bottom