• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help me Donkey Kong !

The Phenom

Smash Lord
I need to know how to start up combos , the attack that starts it all . I really don't have a clue but to grab , is that it ? After beating two DK country games I decided I was worthy to try him out but I suck with him . I don't want to do a up a combo on Fox . If your advice helps all I can do is saying thanks to you or sharing to you something you didn't know .

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
Generally, the start to most of your combos (at least at lower percentages) will be the Cargo-Up-Throw. Combined with DK's Up-Air, that is his bread and butter.

If you are under the opponent, like under a platform, you can SHFFL an Up-Air to start off your combos.

At mid to high percentages a D-Air works too, but is not as effective as comboing at early percentages. At mid to high, you'd be better off getting them off the edge and edge-guarding with his ridiculously good Back-Air.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
DK is too good for combos. Did you pick him up as an alternate to surprise other players or do you main him?

d2Law89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PolarUrs
3DS FC
1263-6319-5484
Lol well, a fun thing to do against fast fallers is when they run at you, to do one session of DK's Down B. This pops them right up and usually they're still holding the joystick in the direction they're running (...they'll DI towards you). Basically you can grab out of a quick Down B

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Lol well, a fun thing to do against fast fallers is when they run at you, to do one session of DK's Down B. This pops them right up and usually they're still holding the joystick in the direction they're running (...they'll DI towards you). Basically you can grab out of a quick Down B
I wouldn't reccomend that against a really good fox, cuz they'll usually just nuetral air you every time, or some other aeriel move. Dk's down b is pretty laggy, so i don't really reccomend it besides for tech chasing, or if your trying to get an opponent coming up off of the ledge.

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
can the down B be combo'ed into anything? even a grab? It seems too laggy for any follow-ups to be possible.
Following up into tech-chasing works on fast-fallers, or when you know you aren't gonna reach someone trying to tech-chase them so you downB because they'll have rolled too far.
If not that just to get them into the air, and make them prone to uairs, especially under platforms

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Ohh...I suppose it would be useful right under a platform. On flatland it would only allow your opponent to Dj and attack you though...

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
Ohh...I suppose it would be useful right under a platform. On flatland it would only allow your opponent to Dj and attack you though...
but on people who don't have much going for them in the air it's useful
like say for example a Zelda, if she is above you and is in high percents she's gone, she doesn't have anything with high enough priority to cancel out the upair

Just because they're able to double jump doesn't mean they're safe, that's why you have to anticipate how they move in the air, and attack accordingly. I believe Dk is in a better position if the opponent in high in the air

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Down-B generally doesn't hit anyone that's off the ground, so it has basically no use in defending against SHFFL'd approaches.

pkmvodka

Smash Lord
I wouldn't reccomend that against a really good fox, cuz they'll usually just nuetral air you every time, or some other aeriel move. Dk's down b is pretty laggy, so i don't really reccomend it besides for tech chasing, or if your trying to get an opponent coming up off of the ledge.
If you hit with the 2nd hitbox of the down b, you can usually get a free grab after it. Fox won't be able to shine or nair or anything.

:)

EDIT

down b is very good against luigi and ice climbers.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
If you hit with the 2nd hitbox of the down b, you can usually get a free grab after it. Fox won't be able to shine or nair or anything.

:)

EDIT

down b is very good against luigi and ice climbers.
But isn't that assuming that the fox doesn't influence away? I mean, i know if they influence towards you, or don't influence at all, you have a free grab, but if they influence away, i think that they'll be too far to grab in time.

**Note: The down b never changes in knockback. Whether someone is at 0 damage or 999 damage, they will get knocked up the same distance. This is pretty useless info, but i personally would just f tilt a fox after a down b if the fox is at higher damage. If they're at high enough damage, it should be enough, and its a little bit less risky than attempting a grab because i'd rather not risk missing the grab. F tilt is faster and has decent knockback.

pkmvodka

Smash Lord
The only way they can escape is if they DI away and you don't hit them close enough.

Ftilt? I never use that move. :(

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
The only way they can escape is if they DI away and you don't hit them close enough.

Ftilt? I never use that move. :(
lol, really? I like the f tilt against certain characters in certain situations. D tilt is usually better in most situations, but i usually like to d tilt someone twice, and then they usually try to jump afterwards, in which case the f tilt comes in handy. It will hit them right as they are jumping, and then they usually get over anxious at that point, in which case a simple dash dance will set up for a free grab. Doesn't always work, but works most of the time

pkmvodka

Smash Lord
Haha, I do the same thing, except I nair after my down tilts.

Or up air against larger targets (ganon >_>)

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Haha, I do the same thing, except I nair after my down tilts.

Or up air against larger targets (ganon >_>)
I used to do that until my friends caught on. lol, i ended up catching a n air from fox when i tried the n air myself. And dk's n air has such horrible priority, it gets beat everytime. After that, i just decided to play it safe with a dashdance, since i can do whatever the situation calls for. lol, but most of the strategies i think of are for use against fox. lol, most of the time i'm afraid to approach a ganon, especially with a n air since it can't beat anything of ganons. Sometimes i would just jump over the person if they go into a defensive stance after the d tilts, and do a b air and try to grab from that

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
PKM, you must learn to abuse the subtle uses the ftilt possesses.

its one of DK's few decent spacing tools. God knows why I'm trying to explain that to you though. >_>

lulz.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
The only time i ever use dk's forward b is if i'm at a stage like brinstar and i'm too far away to reach the edge, i use it to stall myself until the acid/lava/whatever the hell that crap is comes up so it can hit me and get me closer to the edge. Either that or stall myself so that the barrel comes at kongo jungle 64. Other than that, i can't stand that move. All too often when i ledge tech, i accidentally do a forward b instead of an up b. I usually hate the dash attack, but i use it occasionally. I use it if i expect someone to either spot dodge, or when someone techs in that direction cuz they will get hit by my dash attack at the last second, and give me a chance to combo out of it. Its usually not a smart move to use though because its pretty laggy. Dk's u smash is horrid. Sure its pretty **** strong, but the hitbox is so small, and it only attacks directly above him. The only time i use this move is after a d air or f air that pops my oponent up. It works great against characters like fox. At certain damages, if you manage to d air a fox, you can just about fully charge your u smash and land it. Its pretty much always gonna be a ko, lol, and then you can just break into song "just make it clap" *clap clap clap clap clap clap*. I don't use the f smash unless its a guaranteed hit. Sometimes if i u throw a fox/falco/falcon, and i know that they are going to "di" off the stage, i just f smash in that direction because with a bad influence, a f smash is deadly even at low damages. All other moves i use on a regular basis. D smash is good for crouch canceling against an oponent at high damages by the way. If they're at over 100 damage, a crouch councel'd d smash is a great way to put them away

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
good tips mexican.

Cargo uthrow to usmash is also a good way of koing opponents, even with DI. Its works well on fox/falco and falcon. The usmash will connect at even around 120%.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
good tips mexican.

Cargo uthrow to usmash is also a good way of koing opponents, even with DI. Its works well on fox/falco and falcon. The usmash will connect at even around 120%.
Eh, i know you can u smash out of the u throw, but i don't like to personally. If the fox is lower than 100 damage, i usually u air into f air or giant punch. If its over 100 damage, its sh u throw, into a f air. If they're at 120 or over, full jump u throw to u air. All will ko a fox. I just don't like the u smash cuz its a little difficult to time and you really pay for it if you miss. Its easier to hit what i do and its safer, although the f air isn't always enough to put them away. But i can usually guarantee their death with a simple edgehog or edgeguard.

Top Bottom