• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Improving

Magellan

Smash Cadet
Well, one thing to remember with floaties and fast-fallers is that it is usually easier to kill floaties off the top and fast-fallers off the sides (but not always). Peach flies up a bit easier than other characters. I like to kill her with shines and firebirds off the top. I take Peach to stages with low top blastzones like Yoshi's Story and Battlefield. It's difficult for me to offer much else in the way of match ups. I myself have only been recently introduced to the match up. Try reflecting turnips back occasionally. The Peach I play uses way more turnips, though. If you can't power shield them, just use your reflector the good 'ol fashioned way. Don't do it too much, though, reflecting projectiles with the shine can be dangerous (funny how that works). Also, grab more. It's this hilarious thing we all do. I used to do it so much. Somebody shields and yet we hit them anyway. Why? I dunno. I guess maybe this time the game's mechanics will change. :p When somebody is shielding, odds are if you hit them, it will be blocked. Try to remove the habit of hitting people that are shielding. Sure, shield pressure is a thing, but only do it if you intend to shield pressure. When you see someone shielding, grab that coward, beat on his face, and chuck him out of YOUR neutral.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I bet Rar bair destroys peaches who try to stall when recovering high.

They don't really have a move that covers their face. And this peach in particular was opting for dair a lot. Which is punishable.

You should attend some locals Flash. Or at least do a bracket at your house with all your smash friends.

Anything to even simulate tourney experience would be good.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
I bet Rar bair destroys peaches who try to stall when recovering high.

They don't really have a move that covers their face. And this peach in particular was opting for dair a lot. Which is punishable.

You should attend some locals Flash. Or at least do a bracket at your house with all your smash friends.

Anything to even simulate tourney experience would be good.
I'm going to Shuffle VII this May :)

Boomhound

Smash Apprentice
I feel like I'm not improving anymore
To be honest bud I don't surf the boards as much anymore, my life has had me quite preoccupied-

But I will mention this:
I'm just some guy on the internet voicing his opinion, my advice is questionable at best and just my own insight on your play- I could be thrash for all you know haha.

Start working on analyzing yourself, and don't worry about being optimal if it costs you the quirks that make your play unique.

Above all to improve you need a strong mentality and a deep bag of tricks so that you can adapt whenever you're losing.

Bluffs, baits, reads, mind-games- whatever you want to call it; just like a real fight or a game of poker- these are the skills that will win you games and separate you from the tech-heavy frauds.

This is Boomhound, signing out.
S M A S H B O Y S

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
I may not have made it out in Pools but I have done amazing stuff. Almost took a game off Prince Abu in Melee, Took M2K's Marth to last stock with my Secondary Fox and Ally 3 and 2 Stocked me. I feel like I'm meant to be a top player in Ohio lol.

doodles

Smash Rookie
What's a good way to practice mixing up tech rolls and how should you play the Neutral Game vs. Puff? @ Magellan Magellan @ Lizalfos Lizalfos @ Boomhound Boomhound Everyone is ignoring me in the Melee Falco Discussion Thread.
I think tech rolls comes down to learning your opponent. When you hit the ground, where are they? In the air, pleading you to roll into a f-air? Do they often rush to where you land and start charging a d-smash? Perhaps scrublord 3000 always throws a dash attack when you roll away. It comes down to the play style of the person you're playing then and there. Try and learn what they want you to do, and don't do it. Watch for any patterns and figure out a solid way you can punish their repetition.

DethM

Smash Apprentice
If anyone wants in on the Falco Skype group pm me your Skype.

TooMuchWater

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, ive been grinding out falco for sometime now and ive got tech skill but i need help.

My friend uses mario and always CCs my moves or double jab to grab, spams fireballs and im at like 80% before i can reset to neutral.
I try to implement laser as much as i can but he just shoot fireballs until i approach . He also loves to cape my recovery.
One tidbit is he complains about every character ive used on him, he hates foxes up smash, and shine, falcos lasers, falcons knee, ikes and marths sword but he uses the most braindead character and i keep my mouth shut

AudioSilver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-7513-8784
Hey guys, ive been grinding out falco for sometime now and ive got tech skill but i need help.

My friend uses mario and always CCs my moves or double jab to grab, spams fireballs and im at like 80% before i can reset to neutral.
I try to implement laser as much as i can but he just shoot fireballs until i approach . He also loves to cape my recovery.
One tidbit is he complains about every character ive used on him, he hates foxes up smash, and shine, falcos lasers, falcons knee, ikes and marths sword but he uses the most braindead character and i keep my mouth shut
For Jab to Grab against Mario, I would suggest using zoning to bait out a Jab. After baiting, of course a punish.

If there's an opening for an attack (and you know he'll Crouch Cancel.), you could probably fit a Grab into that opening. (Or a Shine?)

Hopefully some of this helps!

Last edited:

TooMuchWater

Smash Rookie
For Jab to Grab against Mario, I would suggest using zoning to bait out a Jab. After baiting, of course a punish.

If there's an opening for an attack (and you know he'll Crouch Cancel.), you could probably fit a Grab into that opening. (Or a Shine?)

Hopefully some of this helps!
Thank you ill keep this in mind next time.

Top Bottom