• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help countering Squirtle

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Hi there!

I want to know a couple of things about Squirtle since in my region there is a strong one. Im planning to use Roy because of his sword range, but don't know if it's a good idea. Which characters would you recommend to win against Squirtle?

And, by the way, in an even matchup, which stage would you use to counter a Squirtle?

Note: I main Ness, but I can defend myself with Ct. Falcon and Ganondorf. Roy is just a character I like to play as.

Thank you very much.

coopreme

Smash Cadet
Hi there!
I want to know a couple of things about Squirtle since in my region there is a strong one. Im planning to use Roy because of his sword range, but don't know if it's a good idea. Which characters would you recommend to win against Squirtle?
And, by the way, in an even matchup, which stage would you use to counter a Squirtle?
Note: I main Ness, but I can defend myself with Ct. Falcon and Ganondorf. Roy is just a character I like to play as.
Thank you very much.
The only recommendation i have against squirtle is to use... another squirtle! Learning to shell shift taunt cancel is probably your most important move that will get you respect at tournys. I would only recommend playing at training room. If they are being asshats then you would want to counter squirtle at any stage that has walls on it - think green zone or wario's.

Note: The only thing that would make ness better would be if he had a shell and could use bubble jet. :007:

Cloudburst

Smash Cadet
Roy is strong against Squirtle, as a general idea. If the skill levels between a Roy and a Squirtle are similar, and both are familiar with the other's character, I'd give it to Roy most of the time.

Roy has a lot of options for keeping Squirtle at bay - F-tilt, his side-b that goes a respectable distance, U-tilt can knock you out of a SS Jump Bubble unless you space it perfectly, and Roy's neutral B is just a slap in the face. So yeah, I'd say that it's in Roy's favor, but that the better player would win if the skill gap is large enough (i.e. Squirtle spaces his bubbles perfectly and doesn't SD lol)

As for Ness, I'm not sure when PK Fire beats Withdraw, (I assume it does at some %) but Ness can just short-hop dair and it will pop Squirtle out of it every time.

~Dad~

part time gay dad
PK Fire activates on withdraw and you can really easily get caught in the fire as you pop out.

Roy vs Squirtle is in favor of Roy, you have to play super patient against a Roy and do your best to bait and punish. If Roy gets ahold of you you're going to have a bad time. He can juggle you for days and then fsmash/flare blade you to death.

Don't approach from a distance with withdraw.

Don't approach from a distance with withdraw.

DON'T APPROACH FROM A DISTANCE WITH WITHDRAW.

THIS APPLIES TO EVERY MATCHUP.

c:

~Dad~

part time gay dad
But to answer your original question, Roy, Marth, Metaknight, and GDubs give Squirtle a lot of trouble if played well.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Well, I was successful I guess with this Roy. As you said, guys, if he uses Withdraw from a long distance, he's kinda dead. I could start freely some combos whenever he uses that, so he stopped doing that awful technique you Squirtle-lovers use :troll:

Never tried to use Ness against Squirtle though, I was kind of sissy :ness:

~Dad~

part time gay dad
Well, I was successful I guess with this Roy. As you said, guys, if he uses Withdraw from a long distance, he's kinda dead. I could start freely some combos whenever he uses that, so he stopped doing that awful technique you Squirtle-lovers use :troll:

Never tried to use Ness against Squirtle though, I was kind of sissy :ness:

Bad Squirtles spam withdraw, don't lump us in with him lmao

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Bad Squirtles spam withdraw, don't lump us in with him lmao
Well, he wasn't a spammer. He understood the matchup soon, so he become an aerial combo-motherf*****r. But, you know, Roy's range is pretty useful against Squirtle. I think Roy has some advantage, but it's not a broken matchup.

~Dad~

part time gay dad
It's probably my least favorite matchup.

It's really hard to get in on a defensive Roy.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
But to answer your original question, Roy, Marth, Metaknight, and GDubs give Squirtle a lot of trouble if played well.
How does mk beat ss and wd? I remember once I baired WD and it didn't stop it. I didn't say anything, but in my head, I was raging.

~Dad~

part time gay dad
How does mk beat ss and wd? I remember once I baired WD and it didn't stop it. I didn't say anything, but in my head, I was raging.
You don't need to outright beat out withdraw to counter it. MK can get away from Squirtle fairly well, and, like every character, he can pivot grab withdraw pretty good.

You can probably instant dimensional cape it idk I'll try some stuff out tonight.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
MKs dash speed makes running a few feet back and pivot grabbing withdraw on reaction very effective.

I'll write some stuff about Lucas and Roy later.

Top Bottom