• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*HELP* - Cannot Recover Vs. Meta Knight

Phoenix Reborn

Smash Cadet
I was playing a Meta Knight the other day and I CANNOT for the death of me figure out how to approach a Meta Knight properly without getting hit. All my ground attacks (Save for my Neutral-B) were effectively countered by Meta Knight's F-Tilt. Any attempt to attack from the air, be it a SH N-Air rush or RAR B-Air is also countered by his F-Air or U-Air.

When I'm in the air, I'm constantly juggled because I have no attacks that can match the speed of his U-Air and F-Air and mind games don't seem to work because Meta Knight can easily change his air direction quickly since he floats. This also significantly takes away the effectiveness of Air Dodging for me.

On the ground, his F-Tilt and Down-Smash make short work of a lot of my "A" attacks and Down-Smash and when he's got me down, no matter what I try to recover be it rolling in either direction or doing a wake-up attack, he'll just simply walk up to me and F-Tilt (Again) before I can shield, dodge or retaliate. Next thing I know, I'm either down again or knocked back up into the air for another round of juggling.

An example of just how bad this became for me is this one game that I played against a Meta Knight where we both started off with 4-stock and the Meta Knight was able to juggle and combo my Wolf with no hope of retaliation or escape on my end to the point where I died three times before I managed to kill him once (And that was probably because by that point, the player has most likely stopped trying)

I'm totally out of ideas and any tips would be good. Thanks!

Mizar

Smash Ace
A friend of mine also plays Metaknight so I've gotten used to him. When he tries to juggle me after his U-tilt I try to ''stun'' him with the blaster and dodge my way back to the stage. I know this sounds a bit obvious but with good timing of dodges you should be able to get back up on your paws. Wolf is kind of weak against Metaknight, same goes vs. pit (just my opinion). Oh, and when Metaknight is close to you to spam his A, try to escape with his deflector. That always works for me.

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
oh **** so many people who's dodge button doesnt work, crazy yall must be usin the wii mote, in all seriousness though, why the f*ck would u ever approach meta knight?? u got a blaster? hes got a p*ssy sword. when he tries to juggle air dodge, when he tries to approach u shield grab / fsmash, don't dsmash, NEVER SH TOWARDS HIM and don't let him juggle u, hes a super easy matchup just be PATIENT, if hes mroe skilled then u then w/e guess ur screwed

Falkor720

Smash Rookie
short hop shine in air... that should take care of your approach towards him. If he is camping, use your up b and direct it towards him, he cant stop that with a ftilt. while you are being juggled, either dodge out, up b out, or nair out. force him in the air with your blaster, from there its all about spacing and combos.

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
short hop shine in air... that should take care of your approach towards him. If he is camping, use your up b and direct it towards him, he cant stop that with a ftilt. while you are being juggled, either dodge out, up b out, or nair out. force him in the air with your blaster, from there its all about spacing and combos.
thats wrong in so many ways, best disregard it rather than correct it..

Phoenix Reborn

Smash Cadet
My air dodge problem probably has something to do with my timing because I swear there are times when I do it and I still get hit anyway. As far as shield grabbing goes, I've tried it several times and have found that the success rate is situational. If he does a Dash-A, I can shield grab him no problem, however F-Tilts and dashing Up-Smash / Down-Smash from Meta Knight knocks me backwards and puts me out of range for a shield grab.

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
My air dodge problem probably has something to do with my timing because I swear there are times when I do it and I still get hit anyway. As far as shield grabbing goes, I've tried it several times and have found that the success rate is situational. If he does a Dash-A, I can shield grab him no problem, however F-Tilts and dashing Up-Smash / Down-Smash from Meta Knight knocks me backwards and puts me out of range for a shield grab.
cant see any situation where f-tilt cant be beat by a laser (shield grabs are only for when theyre comin at u and out of projectiles power) dashing f0smash is very very very easily punishable by your fsmash, try it

Phoenix Reborn

Smash Cadet
I'll give it a try. My blaster only works for so long. I can keep a Meta Knight at bay for awhile, but that gun isn't exactly fast so I do my best not to rely too much on it, especially when they see it coming and are ready to dodge it into an F-Tilt while I recover from the shot.

I must admit though, it's handy how Wolf's blaster is one of the few attacks I know of that can actually stop Meta Knight's Tornado Attack dead on its tracks on impact. At least I know how to keep Tornado and Side-B Meta Knight spammers at bay.

Illussionary

Smash Journeyman
I was playing a Meta Knight the other day and I CANNOT for the death of me figure out how to approach a Meta Knight properly without getting hit. All my ground attacks (Save for my Neutral-B) were effectively countered by Meta Knight's F-Tilt. Any attempt to attack from the air, be it a SH N-Air rush or RAR B-Air is also countered by his F-Air or U-Air.

When I'm in the air, I'm constantly juggled because I have no attacks that can match the speed of his U-Air and F-Air and mind games don't seem to work because Meta Knight can easily change his air direction quickly since he floats. This also significantly takes away the effectiveness of Air Dodging for me.

On the ground, his F-Tilt and Down-Smash make short work of a lot of my "A" attacks and Down-Smash and when he's got me down, no matter what I try to recover be it rolling in either direction or doing a wake-up attack, he'll just simply walk up to me and F-Tilt (Again) before I can shield, dodge or retaliate. Next thing I know, I'm either down again or knocked back up into the air for another round of juggling.

An example of just how bad this became for me is this one game that I played against a Meta Knight where we both started off with 4-stock and the Meta Knight was able to juggle and combo my Wolf with no hope of retaliation or escape on my end to the point where I died three times before I managed to kill him once (And that was probably because by that point, the player has most likely stopped trying)

I'm totally out of ideas and any tips would be good. Thanks!

I've noticed in fights like this, is that timing is everything. So time your spot dodges and sheilds correctly, and counter effectively. If you are able to get a blaster fire off, run in and begin comboing, if the same thing happens again, just Rinse and Repeat.

Zink

Smash Champion
this is something all wolf players need to learn.
AS LONG AS YOU CAN LASER SPAM YOU HAVE NO REASON TO MAKE AN APPROACH.
step yo game up.

LANDMASTERED!

Smash Rookie
Laser Spam I find is cheep (but I use it at times lol) but any case, USE YOUR LASER! With characters that can attack quickly, hit them with a laser. If Meta Knight apporoaches you, hit it with your laser at a distance, or your barrier if it is close. Your F-Smash is good if you can time it right. If you are in the air and he edge guards, it will be hard to come back. Oh and by the way, his side B should fool Meta Knight users if you know how to time it, unless they know how to spam Meta Knight's Down B............yea nothing to say after that.

Then there is the Smash Ball........LANDMASTERED!!!!!!!

Top Bottom