• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help beating this big penguin

Djanko

Smash Rookie
The "big boss" in my area is a D3 main and I just cannot get even close to beating him. I'm looking for any tips on beating this guy but if it helps I play Rob and bowser. Mainly edge guarding and neutral.

Captain Birdman

Smash Rookie
Using Bowser is going to be a really tough road to beating a good Dedede. Sadly I don't know much about playing as those characters to fight against D3, but I can tell you what I look for when fighting them as well as the little things I notice when my opponents use them.

Bowser - Grabs. Oh my god D3's grab is like the hand of the grim reaper to Bowser. Also, I will abuse Dedede's range with Ftilts and waddle dees. I will make you approach if I really want to win. Your only advantage is a slight speed advantage with some of your weaker hits. Once you connect with them, you HAVE to convert it into either big damage or a kill. If you're in trouble, your UpB is probably one of your safer getaway options. Also, I believe some of your aerials are capable of stuffing Waddle Dash approaches, but don't get carried away with them. You have to play extra careful in this matchup, as it's really easy to get a punish on bowser with the king, and a zero to death isn't the most difficult thing to pull off against fatties like us.

ROB - I've only fought one or two good ROB's before, and I don't get to play them often, so forgive me if I can't give the best advice. Anyways, you may have to play a bit campy in this matchup otherwise you'll end up being wrecked like poor Bowser in this matchup. One of your favorite spammy tools should be your neutral b. It can be helpful in clearing waddle dees from the field as well as poking the king from a distance. Your gyro also has a nice presence as Dedede has to be super precise in order to skillfully avoid it without getting punished. Be careful about using your UpB/SideB to approach too often because if Dedede reads it he can stuff your approach with his disjoints, and I'm sure I don't have to tell you that Dedede is scarier if you get knocked off stage. By using your projectiles, you can try to bait Dedede into his sheild. If you can get him still long enough to grab, I believe your down or up throws are useful for starting combos.

That's some general advice I can give you off the top of my head. Let me know if there's any specific details you're trying to find out that I may know.

Captain Birdman

Smash Rookie
I can tell you what Dedede's doing well as far as punishes go. I can give you some tips on how to avoid whatever Dedede's getting you with. I can't promise to give you some magical character specific tech that'll win you the matchup, but I can certainly give you general advise on what you're doing wrong against the big bird.

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
http://www.twitch.tv/dazee_/b/631550288 I play at 33:35 I play a set with him. Really any help or criticism would be great.
Well the first thing you wanna get down if you fight Dedede is your DI. You pretty much always want to DI down and away on his down throw -> down throw -> X off stage (unless as high percent). You'll be less likely to get hit by anything or re-grabbed onstage if you just DI down and away. Don't fall for rocket hammer shenanigans, it's a terrible move (kind of). Wait for him in a safe distance and punish the massive endlag it has. Also, try not to be under platforms vs Dedede, take him to wide flat stages. Rob can put up a good zoning fight with lasers and tops. Though it is a hard MU (what I'm told from other ROB mains) and this Dedede pretty much knows what he's doing, it's still possible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom