• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help against Mac!

King Zekrom

Smash Apprentice
Hey, CF main here, and like the title says, I have a problem against Mac. No, not For glory Macs, but custom ones (on with friends). With the Guard Breaker custom, I can't gimp Mac at all. The Mac I play uses smashes a lot, so I cant challenge him. Down smash and spot dodge is my worst enemy on Mac. Rapid fast jab, so it is too dangerous to grab.

What can I do?! Thanks in advance

LifeMushroom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LifeMushroom1
Second post here, lel

So, Little Mac. He's helpless in the air.
Falcon has a really good dash grab and some great speed. If he tries to dash attack, shield and try to throw him off the edge.
Jolt Haymaker/Guard Breaker leaves you helpless and Guard Breaker has very poor momentum, so he's pretty much screwed even more if he has that move and he's off the edge.

Falcon does a good job with aerials, so try to keep him in the air and gimp him with Nairs. Potentially, you could also try to read airdodges.

Hope this helps.

King Zekrom

Smash Apprentice
Second post here, lel

So, Little Mac. He's helpless in the air.
Falcon has a really good dash grab and some great speed. If he tries to dash attack, shield and try to throw him off the edge.
Jolt Haymaker/Guard Breaker leaves you helpless and Guard Breaker has very poor momentum, so he's pretty much screwed even more if he has that move and he's off the edge.

Falcon does a good job with aerials, so try to keep him in the air and gimp him with Nairs. Potentially, you could also try to read airdodges.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, will try some of this when facing him. I can read his airdodges fine, but my problem is punishing them (when hes offstage) as his airdodge covers him until he gets onto the edge :(

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
My only advice is stick to throws. Mac is almost as fast as Falcon, and he rolls and attacks faster ON THE GROUND. I now it may sound obvious, but Falcon's dash grab is arguably the best in the game while Mac's is terrible. If you can shield to defend and grab to punish, you could get some combos rolling, which is exactly what Falcon needs. Also, if you're having trouble edge guarding, try to simply stand next to the ledge barely out of range of an attack get up. If he gets up with an attack or a normal get up off the ledge, punish with a grab. If he jumps off the ledge, punish Mac being in the air with a smash attack or aerial. If he rolls off the ledge, your are standing right where he will be, so down smash. If he just stays there on the ledge you can try to approach slowly and up tilt spike, or bait an attack get up, shield the attack and then grab immediately. Hope this helps.

And sorry for the lecture.

King Zekrom

Smash Apprentice
My only advice is stick to throws. Mac is almost as fast as Falcon, and he rolls and attacks faster ON THE GROUND. I now it may sound obvious, but Falcon's dash grab is arguably the best in the game while Mac's is terrible. If you can shield to defend and grab to punish, you could get some combos rolling, which is exactly what Falcon needs. Also, if you're having trouble edge guarding, try to simply stand next to the ledge barely out of range of an attack get up. If he gets up with an attack or a normal get up off the ledge, punish with a grab. If he jumps off the ledge, punish Mac being in the air with a smash attack or aerial. If he rolls off the ledge, your are standing right where he will be, so down smash. If he just stays there on the ledge you can try to approach slowly and up tilt spike, or bait an attack get up, shield the attack and then grab immediately. Hope this helps.

And sorry for the lecture.
Wow, loads of advice here. This is exactly what I need, thanks. No need to apologize for the lecture, I'm a fast reader anyway XD
Now I just need to wait to challenge him again, and if these strategies work, you both deserve cookies :)

Douglas Jay Ganon

Smash Apprentice
Am I late? wellp, here I go.

A good Little Mac (LM) will know how to hit you with his D-Smash while you're trying to get on the stage. To avoid this, stay right down of the ledge while recovering. Any Diagonal recovery try will result in a powerful D-smash, and most certainly death.
Also, a good LM won't try to follow you in the air, so when trying to land into the stage, don't try to attack or get close to mac. Get as far and safe as you can of him while landing, so you have a lot of time to react his advance.
While trying to edgeguard, bait his airdodge. Act as you would attack him, and do it. If he airdodges you, it's completely ok, so the next time you go for him he might think you want to attack and he will airdodge. That'll be your chance of the edgeguard, with a nice b-ai for example.

King Zekrom

Smash Apprentice
Merci beaucoup for all the help guys, it's finally getting me a bit more wins- but not all of them yet. So I am determined to keep on fighting Mac and getting better :)

Am I late? wellp, here I go.

A good Little Mac (LM) will know how to hit you with his D-Smash while you're trying to get on the stage. To avoid this, stay right down of the ledge while recovering. Any Diagonal recovery try will result in a powerful D-smash, and most certainly death.
Also, a good LM won't try to follow you in the air, so when trying to land into the stage, don't try to attack or get close to mac. Get as far and safe as you can of him while landing, so you have a lot of time to react his advance.
While trying to edgeguard, bait his airdodge. Act as you would attack him, and do it. If he airdodges you, it's completely ok, so the next time you go for him he might think you want to attack and he will airdodge. That'll be your chance of the edgeguard, with a nice b-ai for example.
"don't try to attack or get close to mac"- ah ha, this is where I fail. I always try to sneak in a bair, but he armours through it w/ fsmash instead :( Will keep this in mind though.
Also, with baiting the airdodge, which of CF's moves do you think it would be ideal to punish him (after an airdodge)? I find it pretty hard to land nair :cry:

LifeMushroom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LifeMushroom1

Oh, and let's not forget your down tilt. This sends people at an angle which makes it hard for them to recover.

Last edited:

King Zekrom

Smash Apprentice
^Hahahaha, got a good laugh out of that, but I don't know whether it was the music or the mac XD
But the sad part is I don't have as much skill as Trifroze :(

King Zekrom

Smash Apprentice
YEESSSS! I AM MAKING PROGRESS!
I am starting to take out the Bruiser of the Bronx now. Thanks to all of your help, I use Falconkick! more often (to catch out airdodges), Dsmash near the ledge to catch him out, use Falcon's dash grab, Dair and I can punish so much better!
I may become invincible between my friends now! :D Yayyyyy!!

Last edited:

Douglas Jay Ganon

Smash Apprentice
I am starting to take out the Bruiser of the Bronx now. Thanks to all of your help, I use Falconkick! more often (to catch out airdodges), Dsmash near the ledge to catch him out, use Falcon's dash grab, Dair and I can punish so much better!
That's great! Always remember: Hit Falcon Punch or Knee? sH0w m3 D4 MewB$!!1! (show me your moves)

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
Nice, glad I could help. Little Mac can be tough, but definitely get rekt by Falcon too, if you learn how. Maybe now you can even work on styling with some knees, up tilts, and Falcon Punches!

King Zekrom

Smash Apprentice
Soz for the bump, but I just realised I cam gimp Mac's custom Side 2 with Falcon Dive.

Game, set and Match.

Last edited:

ItsIve

Smash Cadet
It seems like you've already gotten a lot of great advice, but one thing I do as a mix-up is when I grab Little Mac near the ledge, I will pummel him until he is released. If he jumps early, throwing out a down-tilt will send him at a terrible angle that can kill him very early, especially because he no longer has his second jump and his other methods of recovery won't be good enough. Doing this with an up-tilt works just as well, but only if you hit with the meteor hitbox. A smart Mac will adapt to this strategy and delay his second jump. If you catch onto this, you can then space yourself well enough that you won't get hit with his up-b hitboxes on his way up, you can get the tilt punish again. This creates a 50/50 heavily in your favor because even if you fail to gimp him, you still have stage control against a character with a terrible recovery. I've fought and beat very intelligent and skilled Little Mac players, and this strategy works quite consistently, but only as a mix-up option. I actually think Acid calls it the "Fraudfinder 5000", but I'm actually not sure on that. Hope this helped!

Top Bottom