• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help against bowser jr!?

Doc. (ThatAlphGuy?)

Smash Rookie
I have a mm coming up this weekend against a bowser jr player and Im very unfamiliar with the match up. Specifically I need to know how to DI his strings and when I can act out of his multi hit moves. I play Luigi and Alph/olimar so any help works!

Burruni

Smash Hero
I have a mm coming up this weekend against a bowser jr player and Im very unfamiliar with the match up. Specifically I need to know how to DI his strings and when I can act out of his multi hit moves. I play Luigi and Alph/olimar so any help works!
DI up out of jab and either back or down from F-Smash, you need to judge that one off of how deep into the drills you are. D-Air is left or right depending on position but namely it's best to be countered by shielding.

One of the biggest thin in the Junior match-up is knowing your opponent. The normal mix-up with jumping out of Side-B into either N-Air or B-Air is hard countered by Up Smash.

And if your opponent is ever forced to recover low, edgeguard them with your own Abandon Ship. It'll intercept them, knock them away from the ledge, and they'll be unable to use their recovery again.

Edit: MM means "Money match," not "Mirror Match." Well, still take my points into consideration besides the point of edgeguarding xD

Last edited:

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
i hope your money is ready. :V

Anyways, Jr. has several advantages going for him over Luigi (I'm not as familiar with Olimar)
- Outranges him with disjointed aerials.
- Good stage control with mechakoopas (down B)
- Excellent strings off of his kart dash (side B). Also a huge boost to Jr's mobility.
- Stronger kill moves in his smashes, and Up B.
- Better edgeguarding game.
- Arguably better recovery unless you can mash cyclone without your second jump.
- Heavier, will survive longer.

That being said, Luigi can seize on several of Jr's weaknesses...
- Jr's heaviness doesn't help him escape Luigi's crazy grab combos. If you read the DI correctly you can get massive damage in on Jr.
- Cyclone barrels through many of Jr's attacks, but don't abuse it because it's still punishable.
- Jr's grab is super slow, so shielding many of Jr's options is safe and lets you punish. Watch out for shield pressure tactics cuz if Jr's offense isn't stopped, he will break your shield and kill you.
- Your Nair can interrupt Jr if he has poor spacing.
- Fireballs can stop Jr's approach if you hit Jr himself (the car has super armor on his side B, so hitting it from ground level won't help. If you short hop and fireball you should be able to hit Jr.)
- You can pick up the mechakoopas and throw them back at Jr.

Since you don't have much MU experience, you should try to find a few Bowser Jr. players to fight (check the player finder thread) and do your best to get some decent practice in before your money match.
Good luck!

Doc. (ThatAlphGuy?)

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the input guys, I'll post on Saturday on wether or not I win. This is a pr'd ranked 5th in az vs an honorable mention (that one being me) though I'm confident I can still win this one

Doc. (ThatAlphGuy?)

Smash Rookie
Update! We both ended up meeting up the same smash fest and did 2 seperate best of 3's. Sorry for you bowser he lovers but I am now $10 richer and further in the running for next PR ;)

Top Bottom