• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help a Noob Start up?

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
I'm completely new to the Project M scene, and so far I've kind of got a problem. I know about basic tech stuff (SHFFL, L Canceling, etc. etc.) But the problem is, I'm not knowing when to execute stuff like wavedashing and I'm not knowing how it's really helping me at all. So far I do it, but it doesn't seem to help. So when should I be using these techniques, and how are they helpful? I've looked online, but nothing really helped all that much.

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
Wavedashing depends on the main you are using. All characters use it a lot, but characters like Luigi and Ice Climbers should normally use it as their primary movement option. (at least that's what I've heard from others) But most characters use them a lot to get on platforms much faster and efficiently, and then it is also one great way to edge guard, by grabbing the ledge at the right time, and rolling back onto the stage at the time that they attempt to grab the ledge so you keep the invincibility so they can't hurt you, and they can't grab onto the ledge until after you are done rolling onto the stage.
SHFFLing is primarily used to approach an opponent if your character allows it. With some characters, SHFFLing isn't that helpful.
L-Canceling is just used to speed up the timing at which you can perform different moves after aerials. You should probably be using this every and any time that you use an aerial.

That's pretty much all I know on those subjects, I'm sure there is more that I don't yet know, or maybe something I got wrong, but for the time being, that should help a little bit I hope!

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
You should L-cancel every time. Everything else is a matter of experience and intuition; you can't give a comprehensive answer of when to use them. Don't think of them as techniques you have to use for their own sake, but rather as options that are available to you.

Amongst other things:
• SHFFLing lets you hit the opponent with aerials more safely (less time spent in the air; more frame advantage; harder to shieldgrab).
• Wavedashing lets you move on the ground without changing which way you're facing or limiting your options like dashing does (after the jumpsquat+10 frames of lag, you have access to all of your standing options while you're still sliding).
• Wavelanding lets you get on/off/around platforms quickly (useful and in many case necessary for following up combos when the opponent lands on a platform or when they're too high to reach otherwise).
• Dash-dancing lets you threaten a lot of space at once, keeps your movement/intentions ambiguous, and allows you to bait your opponent into approaching or retreating and then punish them for it (watch any high-level Marth-Fox game in Melee or PM for clear examples of this).

Watch videos of gameplay and copy/analyse things you see. As long as you're not forgetting about the techniques entirely when you play (i.e. while you keep them in mind during games), you'll be able to explore situations you can implement them in. Just experiment, and don't worry about messing the execution up or misusing the techniques.

Last edited:

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
Wow, I wasn't thinking along those lines. Thank you both! I'll keep this stuff in mind!

AudioSilver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-7513-8784
Wavedashing combined with regular Dashing is also useful for Tech Chasing an opponent into a Grab. (Depending on your character's Wavedash length.)

Top Bottom