• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help a new guy out

JSharpie

Smash Rookie
I only started using Pichu full time, on top of that a little more hardcore in SSBM about two months ago. And before anything said, I only played this game casually as in REALLY casually.

Yes I read NGCXX and T0MMY's guides. I may end up asking questions that will be explained in their guide and if so please answer them in this thread so it'll be easier for me to read the answers for me.

I learned wavedashing and I got that working well with Pichu although I can't find situations to use it and if I do find that situation I end up jumping. Is this normal at first? Is it also normal that Pichu doesn't move very far wavedashing.

Does it take a while to short-hop with Pichu cause I feel like I have to be super fast with this character to push the X/Y button to short hop. I mean I can get it sometimes but I want to know if Pichu is naturally harder to short-hop than most other characters?

Is SHFFLing really nessessary with Pichu with it's fast recovery rate or does it have it's benefits?

_Pedochu

Smash Cadet
I only started using Pichu full time, on top of that a little more hardcore in SSBM about two months ago. And before anything said, I only played this game casually as in REALLY casually.
'Pichu' in the same sentence as the phrase "full time" without a word negating those words together makes me happy.

I learned wavedashing and I got that working well with Pichu although I can't find situations to use it and if I do find that situation I end up jumping. Is this normal at first? Is it also normal that Pichu doesn't move very far wavedashing.
I suggest not implementing wavedashing into your game for a while, until you have it mastered. The way I learned it was with characters who jump as fast as Pichu while fighting against level 1's. I practiced wavedashing while they very slowly approached me. I doubt anyone has ever done it this way or found it useful besides me, but you might want to listen to it.

If you are jumping, it means you are doing it to fast, or too slow. To fast=you have airdoged before the 4th frame. Too slow=you have waited until a good while after Pichu leaves the ground. Both commonly happen, but can be fixed with some motivation.

Yes, Pichu doesn't go very far, but his wavedash is very useful. He has the 5th worst wavedash in the game. You might be airdodging very close to straight down. To get the best effect, wavedsh almost horizontally. To see the difference between these two, try it with Luigi.

Does it take a while to short-hop with Pichu cause I feel like I have to be super fast with this character to push the X/Y button to short hop. I mean I can get it sometimes but I want to know if Pichu is naturally harder to short-hop than most other characters?
Pichu has the fastest short hop in the game tied with others. You have to hit it within 4 frames. 1 frame = 1/60 of a second. It is difficult, and I recommend the button sliding method. This means that you hit the very edge of the X/Y button (assuming you are using them, you should be). And slide your finger off of it.

Is SHFFLing really nessessary with Pichu with it's fast recovery rate or does it have it's benefits?
SHFFLing is the most important advanced technique, more than wavedashing. It most definitely is necessary. The only characters that don't need it as much are Shiek, Samus, and Ice Climbers, although it is still very useful for them.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Jumping while wavedashing is normal, in fact I still do it if I'm not warmed up sometimes. Also Pichu has a really short wavedash. Sometimes I'll find myself wavedashing back expecting to escape an attack, and still getting hit (you can see me get pwned by KevMoney here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coqzTqK1X_M ). It may be a bit worse for me than most people, though, because I play Ice Climbers, lol.

Pichu's short hop is, I think, the fastest in the game, tied with Fox at 4 frames. That's one-fifteenth of a second. You have to release the button in that time or you will full hop. For that reason Pichu is one of the fastest characters in the game, and that speed gives him a great aerial game.

SHFFLing is absolutely necessary, and very very useful. You won't be able to do his best combos (such as Fair > Up-smash, Dair > U-tilt > Grab, Uair > U-tilt > grab > U-throw > Dair, and Nair > F-smash) without proper SHFFLing.

Pichu is a very difficult character to play effectively, but every single game you win, and everytime shock given (heheh) to the people you see how truly vicious he can be make it well worth the effort.

Top Bottom