• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hello, casual Kirby player here! Looking for advice to get better :-)

Koggers

Smash Rookie
I've been playing ssbb with my friends for some years now, usually beating them and making me look like a good player, but I know I'm not, we all just play with no knowledge of advanced techs, terms, etc.

The Nintendo fest is coming to my country and there will be a ssbb tourney (as well as other games tourneys) so I'm trying to get better at the game, I play with Kirby the most and know some basic stuff, like SHFF with b-air (sometimes i forget ff), the f-grab -> u-air -> f-grab -> f-special combo, and meteoring with d-air, what DI is blablabla...

Still I see tourney videos and the people playing there move like bullets and react extremely fast (aka. Chu), i wouldn't even hit them once, I know that learn by playing but I'm just sick of playing so bad and slow..

Well there goes my story, now:

+ I just changed from wiimote to gamecube controller, I'm still getting used to it; as a Kirby player should I b-stick? the special jump is useful to b-air but the c-stick has other advantages, what do you people use?

+ I know sometimes jumping (specially short hopping) with X is better, but should I use X/Y (pref X as far as I know) to jump or Up too?

+ Should I smash with forward + A or with C-stick?

+ I noticed R/L are triggers, should I keep them semi-pressed to shield more easily? or just press it like that when I need it?

++++ I have no problem with practicing and playing, but I dont even know if I'm in the right way to play good and fast as other people, I try and try but can't really see improvements, maybe I'm not doing a cancel I should do, I really need help on this

Thank you if you can help me with at least one question :)

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing ssbb with my friends for some years now, usually beating them and making me look like a good player, but I know I'm not, we all just play with no knowledge of advanced techs, terms, etc.

The Nintendo fest is coming to my country and there will be a ssbb tourney (as well as other games tourneys) so I'm trying to get better at the game, I play with Kirby the most and know some basic stuff, like SHFF with b-air (sometimes i forget ff), the f-grab -> u-air -> f-grab -> f-special combo, and meteoring with d-air, what DI is blablabla...

Still I see tourney videos and the people playing there move like bullets and react extremely fast (aka. Chu), i wouldn't even hit them once, I know that learn by playing but I'm just sick of playing so bad and slow..

+ I just changed from wiimote to gamecube controller, I'm still getting used to it; as a Kirby player should I b-stick? the special jump is useful to b-air but the c-stick has other advantages, what do you people use?

+ I know sometimes jumping (specially short hopping) with X is better, but should I use X/Y (pref X as far as I know) to jump or Up too?

+ I noticed R/L are triggers, should I keep them semi-pressed to shield more easily? or just press it like that when I need it?

++++ I have no problem with practicing and playing, but I dont even know if I'm in the right way to play good and fast as other people, I try and try but can't really see improvements, maybe I'm not doing a cancel I should do, I really need help on this

This is the Project M forum, which is different than Project M. I just want to make sure you know that we're here to answer Project M questions, which has different combos, a different physics engine and different matchups. If you'd like Brawl tactics, please go to the Brawl Forums friend =]

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman

The gonzo combo (Fthrow Uair etc...) from ssbb doesn't work on a lot of characters in PM, but you can waveland out of it to do something if they or DI from it.

Dthrow is kirby's best friend and can lead to kill from Usmash or Fsmash on several characters.

1. I personally use c-stick and i use X to jump, but that is your personal preference. A lot of people use up on control stick, Y, or even some random set up (a friend uses right trigger). Pick what you comfortable with.

2. Same as 1. what are you comfortable with. I personally use c-stick for quick smash attack, but i do use A sometimes.

3. For the R/L trigger learning to semipress would be something that could help.

Best way to get better is to play a bunch of people, but you won't know how good you are until you play your first tournament.

Three most important basic things someone can learn. L-Cancel, Tech, and DI.
You have to learn L-cancel and in PM if you do it correctly you will see your character flash white when you hit the ground (easiest to see on bowser).

Another thing you will need to learn in tournaments is how to tech. This is incredible important. Teching is when you are hitting a surface you hit the shield button and you will quick get up, or roll, so you can act quicker before you opponent can get to you or hit you.

DI and Smash DI are very important... learn them... It can extend your stock which is ALWAYS a good thing.

Lastly, most people new to tournaments get shield grabbed a lot. They will end up recklessly charging in and attacking. The opponent shields and blocks the attack and grabs you. One easy way to counter this is short hop inhale for a easy (9-10%).

Koggers

Smash Rookie
This is the Project M forum, which is different than Project M. I just want to make sure you know that we're here to answer Project M questions, which has different combos, a different physics engine and different matchups. If you'd like Brawl tactics, please go to the Brawl Forums friend =]
my bad, got a little excited about posting a thread, just got to this page 2 days ago.
hmm srry for the newbie question, but how do i delete this post? n_nU

Top Bottom