• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heavy Turnips

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
I think they are very undiscovered and have special used but no one seems to use or like them. I hope to change your opinion.

It's great for start a combo. If you hit with it, it sends your opponent in a diagonal angle allowing a flying peach bomber. It also seems that if you down throw it or z-drop it, it can also start a combo.

It has more reward than the others, since turnips are one of her oos options. Switching them out for heavy turnips will just help increase the damage output.

Edgeguarding with them is great because when they are thrown, they go in an angle that's great for edgeguarding low recoveries kinda like what Wii Fit's weighted header custom does. It's pretty good at gimping. It has enough knock back to gimp the opponent. It also seems that the higher you are, the stronger and more damaging it is

Here are my thoughts.

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
I just don't see how the extra damage is all that worth it.
It feels to me just a regular turnip that takes way longer to pull up and moves much slower.

I can adjust easily to the light turnips because it has so many advantages.

I would just stick with light or normal turnips to be completely honest. They're much much safer

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
Since I like them, but haven't found a way to correctly use them, I won't discourage you. Instead, the task I ask of you is: Find a reason that the heavy turnip will over shadow the rapid ability to get a standard turnip that will make your work and time getting it all worth it .

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Since I like them, but haven't found a way to correctly use them, I won't discourage you. Instead, the task I ask of you is: Find a reason that the heavy turnip will over shadow the rapid ability to get a standard turnip that will make your work and time getting it all worth it .
Right now it's looking pretty decent as a combo set up

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
I'm very inexperienced with customs, but I think heavy turnip is good, unlike light, it doesn't have limited uses, not to mention, if you throw it up, you can always get it back quicker then the opponent may comprehend.
Out of the 3, yea it's the best for edge guards, the high base knockback makes it excellent for keeping opponents away, and yea the angle also could catch them off guard. You just need to find a safer option to even get it however.
(Does it deal more shield damage?) I mean regular stitch face deals very high shield damage and I'm sure a heavy stitch face could nearly break a shield, mind testing that? I'm at school

Wow auto correct is the WORST

Last edited:

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
The major cost for all of this is you lose a solid way to approach. Some characters is a must to get in on with a turnip. Or a solid way to slow down fast characters. All these combos and tricks wont mean much if you get get in in a safe way.

Arsenal1x

Smash Rookie
NNID
Arsenal1x
Agreed, say if you do decide to use them in a match, the best thing to consider would be...

1: the match up:
i wouldnt use it against diddy kong or definitely not sheik. But characters like shulk or bowser would be a great counter pick.

2: the opponents recovery:
i think this would be best used against heavy characters, fast fallers and characters with bad recovery like little mac. They can at least disuade approaches and clinch kills off stage for her. (Maybe marth too)

3: how to set it up:
Normally if my opponents not at kill percent but i need a punish i just up throw, because i can get som time to pluck a turnip and still be able to chase their di and gain some positioning. But im not sure if the recovery for heavy turnips is safe enough for an up throw. especially at low percents.

Can comeone think of any set ups for heavy turnips? Only one i can think of would be after getting the opponent off stage with high knockback.

Down smash might work well...

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Agreed, say if you do decide to use them in a match, the best thing to consider would be...

1: the match up:
i wouldnt use it against diddy kong or definitely not sheik. But characters like shulk or bowser would be a great counter pick.

2: the opponents recovery:
i think this would be best used against heavy characters, fast fallers and characters with bad recovery like little mac. They can at least disuade approaches and clinch kills off stage for her. (Maybe marth too)

3: how to set it up:
Normally if my opponents not at kill percent but i need a punish i just up throw, because i can get som time to pluck a turnip and still be able to chase their di and gain some positioning. But im not sure if the recovery for heavy turnips is safe enough for an up throw. especially at low percents.

Can comeone think of any set ups for heavy turnips? Only one i can think of would be after getting the opponent off stage with high knockback.

Down smash might work well...
Ik that turnip to Flying bomber works

Arsenal1x

Smash Rookie
NNID
Arsenal1x
Ik that turnip to Flying bomber works
I meant any good set ups that give you free time to pluck a heavy turnip without losing positioning. Although turnip flying peach bomber would work.

Mainly at low percents would be best, so players can get good opportunities to get one out consistently.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
the only times i can see this working are against characters who aren't difficult to approach or have poor recoveries; :4ganondorf:,:4falco:,:4bowser:? this custom is pretty much crap so i just pretend it doesn't exist.
o
ther turnips accomplish similar things but with generally better rewards; lights punish speedsters (:4falcon:,:4diddy:,:4sheik:), defaults are just all around good, and heavies are to capitalize off of characters with linear neutrals who you don't want to get hit by (namely :4ganondorf:).

IrrationalX

Smash Rookie
NNID
IrrationalX
From the little bit of Peach custom stuff I've tried (I'm very biased/trained to her base moveset), the Heavy Turnips seem interesting, but the downsides of the turnips kill your approach options for so many characters. I honestly think Peach has one of the weakest pools of custom moves in the game, but it's okay since I find her default set is great.

Top Bottom