• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heart of the Cards: Deepsea Assault

Shiri

Smash Chump
Link to original post: [drupal=1392]Heart of the Cards: Deepsea Assault[/drupal]

This deck is a build that I honestly thought I'd never get to attempt. After being submerged in the tournament scene for some time, there are certain nasty truths that just make themselves clear to you. One of those truths is the fact that, no matter how epic and awesome some moves would be, some people just like to say, "No," to whatever you're trying to do. Now, as butthurt as this usually makes me, negation is actually my favorite part of the Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG hands down; nothing fills me with more pride and excitement than denying another player of a move that they want to make.

My most recent tournament deck, which I did not post (as it never actually completed itself) was based on negation using plants, their new support from Crossroads of Chaos (Tytannial and Black Garden, specifically), and lots of counter trap cards. It basically worked like a Counter Fairy deck without the recycling of traps and draw power, but with lots of brute strength and special summons. Unfortunately, the two pinnacles of negation for this game, Solemn Judgment and Dark Bribe, never came to me, so the deck never reached its intended goal. Who would have guessed, however, that Konami would eventually release Solemn Judgment in monster form?

Stardust Dragon/Buster. Known in the TCG as Stardust Dragon/Assault Mode (I like the /Buster theme better), this monster builds upon what was one of the most gamebreaking monsters when it came out in September of 2008. Now in March of 2009, Stardust reaches new levels of annoyingness and negation with a beefed up form sporting classy armor, +2 levels, +500 attack and defense, and his broken effect negation.

As usual, there is a downside. The /Buster monsters are regular effect monsters; that is to say, they belong in the main deck. They also must be special summoned from the deck. On top of that, they have to be special summoned by a trap card. The support and timing required to make /Busters work takes up some pretty valuable deck space, but gives all decks that want to work with them a nice template to work with.

Without further ado, the deck:

Deepsea Assault: 41

Monsters: 18
Superancient Deepsea King Coelacanth [2]
Stardust Dragon/Buster [2]
Royal Swamp Eel [3]
Golden Flying Fish [3]
Oyster Meister [2]
7 Colored Fish [3]
Deep Diver [1]
Buster Beast [1]
Phantom of Chaos [1]
Sangan [1]

Spells: 14
Monster Reborn [1]
Heavy Storm [1]
Giant Trunade [1]
Terraforming [2]
Mausoleum of the Emperor [3]
Assault Teleport [2]
Pot of Avarice [2]
Foolish Burial [2]

Traps: 8
Fish Depth Charge [3]
Buster Mode [3]
Threatening Roar [2]

I currently do not know how to side for this deck. The structure seems so delicate that taking even three cards out from any area would break the whole thing.

As for the main deck, this is the first deck where I have to say that Sangan is probably one of the worst cards I have to draw. I may drop it for another Buster Beast, Phantom of Chaos, or Deep Diver. Sangan has very few targets for searching and cannot tune with the tuners in the deck. While the deck can handle most 4 star monsters, Fish Depth Charge is able to take out any really haunting threats while allowing me to draw into more of the finishing combo. Oyster Meister is absolutely clutch for defense and makes abusing Fish Depth Charge both beneficial and easy.

The main point of this deck is to bring out Stardust Dragon/Buster. More precisely, the point is to bring out two Stardust Dragon/Busters simultaneously and as soon as possible. Summoning either Superancient Deepsea King Coelacanth (through Mausoleum of the Emperor, if possible) or using Phantom of Chaos to copy a Coelacanth's effect in the graveyard allows me to special summon as many level 4 or lower fish from my deck as possible. This means two tuners (Royal Swamp Eels) and two of any other fish (depending on whatever is left in the deck). Synchro Summon two Stardust Dragons and set two Buster Modes. This is the most optimal situation for this deck.

Heavy Storm and Giant Trunade are an absolute must for this deck. Clearing the field to get ready to play Mausoleum or summon anything to get the combo started needs to be performed without interruption since this requires lots of hand commitment. Since Teleport Dark's neutering in March 2009, the deck that used to be the absolute best at supporting /Busters (or any type of synchro for that matter) is now slowed to a very vulnerable pace while fish have the destruction, the pace, and the field presence to summon Stardust and his /Buster form as fast as possible.

As for consistency, I truly cannot say how good it is, as I have only faced very heavy theme decks since the introduction to the new format. For certain, Stardust Dragon/Buster destroys any sort of deck that chains effects to accomplish combos. Having two out basically stops that type of deck dead in its tracks. Decks capable of getting out 2000+ monsters consistently that have strong field presence will give this deck a very hard time. Jinzo also makes this deck close to unplayable; Jinzo is vulnerable to the Deepsea King and Golden Flying Fish, however.

This is my take on /Busters so far. It's not the best or most popular way to run them, but I feel its pace and deep theme are untouched by the other /Buster builds that I have personally seen. This deck is surprisingly low budget and any higher budget adjustments can be made, but may end up ruining the balance of the deck. Thanks for reading, and if you leave any comments, please make sure they're comprehensible and polite. Until next time~

D

Deleted member

From my vague knowledge of the Yu-Gi-Oh TCG, it seems like a good deck. I think. I haven't played Yu-Gi-Oh competitively in maybe half a decade, and the cards were way different then, so I dunno if it's good by todays standards.

Redson

Smash Journeyman
No Monster Reborn4u. Last I heard, that card was banned. Might be a few more in that deck, actually! HAHAH.

IMO, Yu-Gi-Oh TCG went downhill after Pharoh's Servant. Metal Raiders was the best booster ever, imo.

finalark

SNORLAX
No Monster Reborn4u. Last I heard, that card was banned. Might be a few more in that deck, actually! HAHAH.
Resurrection of the Dead (Monster Reborn) is actually limited. It hasn't been ban for a long time.

IMO, Yu-Gi-Oh TCG went downhill after Pharoh's Servant. Metal Raiders was the best booster ever, imo.
Two words: Antique (Ancient) Gear.

Okay, not on track. I've always wanted a deck that says "screw you!" to your opponent when s/he tries to do something. By the looks of it, that's a pretty good deck you've built. And as for your problem with the side deck... I never play with a side deck so I don't know what to say there.

Redson

Smash Journeyman
Resurrection of the Dead (Monster Reborn) is actually limited. It hasn't been ban for a long time.

Two words: Antique (Ancient) Gear.

Okay, not on track. I've always wanted a deck that says "screw you!" to your opponent when s/he tries to do something. By the looks of it, that's a pretty good deck you've built. And as for your problem with the side deck... I never play with a side deck so I don't know what to say there.
Aah, I see. I haven't been in the YGOTCG competitive scene for a while, now. So I really shouldn't be allowed to talk about it, lol.

My deck consisted of anything able to buff one monster- Buster Blader. Oh my god, I love that card I love that card I love that card. And there were a lot of people that I played that LOVED Dragons, which made it FUN TIMES for me.

OTherwise- your Deep Sea deck is REALLY nice looking.

Cease Tick

Smash Ace
Cool deck. I used to <3 Yugioh, but no $ + no other players + no time made me quit. I've been out of the metagame for a while, what are tuners/ what is a synchro summon?

finalark

SNORLAX
Cool deck. I used to <3 Yugioh, but no $ + no other players + no time made me quit. I've been out of the metagame for a while, what are tuners/ what is a synchro summon?
Tuner and monsters are a new type of monsters used to summon synchro monsters. To use a tuner monster, you summon it and then add its level to the level of the other monsters. If the add up to be equal to that of one of your synchro monsters, you may discard those monsters to summon a synchro monster.

Top Bottom