• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HDPVR 2: Subpar HD quality?

Xolcin

Smash Rookie
NNID
Xolcin
First, I hope this is the correct place to post this question. My apologies if not. Feel free to redirect me to the appropriate forum.

I currently use a Hauppauge HDPVR 2 and off-brand component cables with my Wii to record. Normal gameplay on the screen is fine, but whenever the video goes through the PVR, the playback gets a little weird. Attached is a screenshot of an instance I am referring to. It seems whenever there is high movement, tearing/shearing (not sure of the correct terms) occurs. Anyone know of an explanation or fix?

Does it have to do with the component cables being off-brand, and maybe not as good? Or am I completely naive because Wii is 480 resolution? I also often use a Mac for recording, but have tried my PVR multiple times on a PC with the same results. Not sure if there is a setting. My Xbox 360 recordings playback flawlessly, but not so much on the Wii.

Attachments

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
Looks kind of like interlacing artifacts.

Have you made sure that your Wii is set to 480p and not 480i?

Top Bottom