• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having troubles fighting yoshi.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
There are several characters I have been experimenting with and I have been having troubles against yoshi with pretty much all of them, so instead of posting for match up suggestions in three or so different threads I figured I would ask for some anti-Yoshi advice from the Yoshi players themselves.

The characters that are having Yoshi troubles are Bowser, Snake, and Kirby, what would be some good general or match up suggestions? Thanks in advance.

didds

Smash Lord
I can tell you that bowser probably isn't your best bet, Yoshi does well against fattys

In short, he struggles with disjoints and strong projectile play.

but yea maybe snake and wall Yoshi out. A good Yoshi is pretty unpredictable and will grab anytime s/he gets the chance so try not to shield too much, you'll be eaten and punished a lot.

you can grab egg roll

idk stuff

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
Kirby, Zelda, and Ganondorf are definitely my most hated MU's as Yoshi.
Honestly, it would help a lot more if we knew what characters you are playing as instead of us giving you general anti-Yoshi knowledge.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
SHHHHH guysss don't give away the weaknessessssss

My Two Cents:
Kirby has more priority in his moves than Yoshi, Zelda has interrupts
Yoshi poops on snake a and Bowser. Bowser because of his massive hitbox, and snake because there isn't much snake can do to keep Yoshi off of him.
Yoshi may have armor on his DJ but multiple hits can eat the armor, even at early percents. Yoshi is an un-gimpable character unless the Yoshi makes a mistake and you capitalize on that. try to catch him in eggroll on recovery.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
What, does yoshi's dj armor function differently in pm? At least in melee a move either eats armor or it doesn't, hits don't reduce armor, and therefore most multihit moves don't eat his armor. Yoshi isn't ungimpable either. Falco can gimp yoshi with shine, marth with fsmash, sheik with bair. It is just hard to do.

Last edited:

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
What, does yoshi's dj armor function differently in pm? At least in melee a move either eats armor or it doesn't, hits don't reduce armor, and therefore most multihit moves don't eat his armor. Yoshi isn't ungimpable either. Falco can gimp yoshi with shine, marth with fsmash, sheik with bair. It is just hard to do.
Gimpable, to an extent. His armor just negates most knockback at lower percents, and at higher percents it decreases the knockback.

Kirby is not a problem for me. Haven't faced too many competitively tho.
Don't use bowser. For your own good don't.
Snake could be a good option, but he's a little on the heavier side so watch out for combos.

Best MU's for you that you could try are Ganon, Zelda, Maaaaybe Mario. I've also had trouble against squirtle.

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
Gimpable, to an extent. His armor just negates most knockback at lower percents, and at higher percents it decreases the knockback.

Kirby is not a problem for me. Haven't faced too many competitively tho.
Don't use bowser. For your own good don't.
Snake could be a good option, but he's a little on the heavier side so watch out for combos.

Best MU's for you that you could try are Ganon, Zelda, Maaaaybe Mario. I've also had trouble against squirtle.
This part is really cool because knockback increases at a decreasing rate, so after DJ armour is broken Yoshi will still barely be knocked back anywhere at high percents. Like if Yoshi's DJ armour breaks at 50% from an attack, then at 100% he won't be hit through DJ armour as far as he'd be hit at 50% normally.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
This part is really cool because knockback increases at a decreasing rate, so after DJ armour is broken Yoshi will still barely be knocked back anywhere at high percents. Like if Yoshi's DJ armour breaks at 50% from an attack, then at 100% he won't be hit through DJ armour as far as he'd be hit at 50% normally.
Yes, that's true. Though I've never looked at the numbers. That's cool. Keep that in mind, like i am.

Top Bottom