• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having serious Trouble vs. Snake

Arctic

Smash Cadet
A friend of mine mains snake and has become unbearable with his projectiles and down throw tech chasing, not to mention great use of grenades and tranq>c4>uthrow>ceiling kill. I tried my best Ness and Jigglypuff but resistance was futile

I need help playing his Snake, So any advice on how to play Snake with my Sheik? It's my last option, or is there a perfect Snake counter out there that I'm missing?

Thanks for any advice!

RedEyesWhiteSwaggin

Smash Apprentice
Snake is pretty BS in terms of his ability to get sticks and early kills with them. Sheik does pretty well IMO against him.

1. NEVER attack him when he has a grenade. Go charge needles. If he pulls one you CAN go for a well spaced fair on shield or otherwise go for quick throws if the nade timer is fresh.

2. ALWAYS keep track of the grenade timer. You NEED to know when to back off and let a grenade explode, otherwise you will both get hit by it and snake will get a follup uair.

3. Needles>nades. You win the camp game. Thrown needles on reaction if he throws a nade at you from the ground. You will blow up the nade and hit him with the rest of the needles. Use needles to destroy his mines (dsmashes). Use landcancelled (aerial) needles on him constantly, he doesn't have much of an answer. Shield the grenades and its not very scary.

4. Play the MU like brawl. Always keep track of his explosives, juggle him, and **** HIM OFFSTAGE! You should NEVER let him come back from off stage. Cypher is annoying but you should just keep bair/fairing him especially if he recovers high. You should be able to react to and hit him if he tries to C4/grenade himself to live.

5. His tilts/jabs/dtilt is VERY SCARY. He can crouch under you're grab and thats dumb. Pressure him with grab/ftilt/jab/dtilt as you would normally. RESPECT his crouch and his fsmash.

6. uthrow combos are dumb but he cannot cover every option with dthrow techchases even with explosives.

Upload some matches if you want more specific help.

Arctic

Smash Cadet
Thanks a million, I'll have video on Sunday, more than likely multiple matches.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Snake main here. The above suggestions are pretty accurate, especially the "play the MU like Brawl" part - as improved as Snake is, a lot of his weaknesses in that game carry over.

One of his biggest strengths is stage control, but Sheik has the small silver tools to combat that. Snake hates Needles. Needles blow up his explosives. Needles can pester his recovery. Needles force him to approach, which Snake would rather do sparingly.

Be very wary of the punish game. Sheik can get more punishes, but to extend them she has to get reads. Snake often will not need to read you once he connects with a few key moves - his punishes are intense.

Arctic

Smash Cadet
Snake is pretty BS in terms of his ability to get sticks and early kills with them. Sheik does pretty well IMO against him.

1. NEVER attack him when he has a grenade. Go charge needles. If he pulls one you CAN go for a well spaced fair on shield or otherwise go for quick throws if the nade timer is fresh.

2. ALWAYS keep track of the grenade timer. You NEED to know when to back off and let a grenade explode, otherwise you will both get hit by it and snake will get a follup uair.

3. Needles>nades. You win the camp game. Thrown needles on reaction if he throws a nade at you from the ground. You will blow up the nade and hit him with the rest of the needles. Use needles to destroy his mines (dsmashes). Use landcancelled (aerial) needles on him constantly, he doesn't have much of an answer. Shield the grenades and its not very scary.

4. Play the MU like brawl. Always keep track of his explosives, juggle him, and **** HIM OFFSTAGE! You should NEVER let him come back from off stage. Cypher is annoying but you should just keep bair/fairing him especially if he recovers high. You should be able to react to and hit him if he tries to C4/grenade himself to live.

5. His tilts/jabs/dtilt is VERY SCARY. He can crouch under you're grab and thats dumb. Pressure him with grab/ftilt/jab/dtilt as you would normally. RESPECT his crouch and his fsmash.

6. uthrow combos are dumb but he cannot cover every option with dthrow techchases even with explosives.

Upload some matches if you want more specific help.
Thanks a bunch this weekend was a great success I finally managed to triumph the snake, if only for one game. Hope is restored. I did run into the problem of Zelda however. Any ideas for the Zelda Matchup? I keep getting juggled and forced into powerful combos, how do I beat Zelda?

Fortress

Smash Master
Do not try and go toe-to-toe with Snake in a straight-up tilt/jab battle unless you know you have the advantage. Your weak attacks will get beaten out by his (or anybody's) crouch-cancel, and his tilt game packs a wallop. This is especially bad for you if you get nailed with U-tilt, as Sheik's relatively poor aerial movement (both for her tier placement and relative to her superior ground movement) can be a boon to the Snake player. As far as I'm aware, Snake also struggles in that respect, but he has a better SHFFL game all around, so a straight up air-to-air fight might be tough.

The Snake player knows that Sheik loses her advantage once she's in the air for any extended amount of time. Both of you excel on the ground, so try and stay there as much as possible. Snake suffers once in the air, just like you do, so take advantage of that. The battle is going to boil down to who can stay on the ground the longest. Of course, Snake's multitude of projectiles limit your own ground movement, but Snake only gets the most out of them when followed up by his grab-game. Don't forget though, that your grab game is superior, and should be your whole game as Sheik while on-stage. Just play it cool, use your needles to kill his mines, and stay grounded as much as you can. If you do need to get into the air, make sure you've got a reason to; Snake wants to get you up there to needle out his mines, he wants you to get to where you will be your least effective. Don't let him.

Last edited:

Arctic

Smash Cadet
Do not try and go toe-to-toe with Snake in a straight-up tilt/jab battle unless you know you have the advantage. Your weak attacks will get beaten out by his (or anybody's) crouch-cancel, and his tilt game packs a wallop. This is especially bad for you if you get nailed with U-tilt, as Sheik's relatively poor aerial movement (both for her tier placement and relative to her superior ground movement) can be a boon to the Snake player. As far as I'm aware, Snake also struggles in that respect, but he has a better SHFFL game all around, so a straight up air-to-air fight might be tough.

The Snake player knows that Sheik loses her advantage once she's in the air for any extended amount of time. Both of you excel on the ground, so try and stay there as much as possible. Snake suffers once in the air, just like you do, so take advantage of that. The battle is going to boil down to who can stay on the ground the longest. Of course, Snake's multitude of projectiles limit your own ground movement, but Snake only gets the most out of them when followed up by his grab-game. Don't forget though, that your grab game is superior, and should be your whole game as Sheik while on-stage. Just play it cool, use your needles to kill his mines, and stay grounded as much as you can. If you do need to get into the air, make sure you've got a reason to; Snake wants to get you up there to needle out his mines, he wants you to get to where you will be your least effective. Don't let him.
I found that the best way to counter all of the projectiles is to wait out until there is an open opportunity to attack. Croutch canceling was the main reason why I wasn't killing him in the close proximity game. Snake is really easy to chain grab and even easier to attack out of a down throw. I found that space is the most crucial element in the matchup.

Fortress

Smash Master
Croutch canceling was the main reason why I wasn't killing him in the close proximity game.
Yes, I should've seen it before... Snake's true power lies in his manhood, and the mullet. Sheik, being manhood-less(?), is all but powerless to stop it. Snake confirmed for 'hard'-counter to Sheik. Crotch-cancelling OP.

But, yeah, pretty much everybody is going to beat Sheik out if they couch-cancel her attacks, Snake being no exception. Just grab him, tech chase him, and punish him for his high-lag Jab3 and F-smash attempts when he does decide to close the gap.

Arctic

Smash Cadet
But, yeah, pretty much everybody is going to beat Sheik out if they couch-cancel her attacks,
Apparently sheik cannot overpower the mighty God Tier that is the Couch. Looks like the Cardi's Brothers just snuck their way into the next tier. Cushion OP!

But really sheik doesn't have an unbeatable matchup, fantastic character if you figure out how to be patient and develop a strategy to work around the character you're facing. Sheik needs to be played differently for every character in the game, it's all about exploiting their weaknesses. I do have some trouble with Link but that's only because I worked too hard for snake and the projectile change is harsh.

Fortress

Smash Master
Just learn to powershield, and remember that Sheik in general performs poorly from far away with her limited options (needle harassment is viable, but not a be-all-end-all solution to a matchup), and Link excels when he's at a short-to-large distance from his opponent. He struggles up close, so take advantage of that. At the range that Sheik is most effective at (grabbing distance), Link's bombs take too long to prepare, ditto for the bow and boomerang, and most of his normals are punishable on shield.

Stick to the ground (again, in general for any MU as Sheik), and you should be fine. Link's strength lies largely in his ability to cover a stupid-large amount of space with his multitude of projectiles, which hinder the options of many characters who do perform well in the air. Sheik, however, is mainly a ground player, which leaves Link's boomerang only one direction to be thrown; forward. You'll find that Link's options are 'dumbed down' when it comes to the Sheik MU, since Link will find Sheik less inclined to be in places where his projectiles shine. Once you've made trivial his 'rang, the rest is gravy; just get in his face and don't let up.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
Apparently sheik cannot overpower the mighty God Tier that is the Couch. Looks like the Cardi's Brothers just snuck their way into the next tier. Cushion OP!

But really sheik doesn't have an unbeatable matchup, fantastic character if you figure out how to be patient and develop a strategy to work around the character you're facing. Sheik needs to be played differently for every character in the game, it's all about exploiting their weaknesses. I do have some trouble with Link but that's only because I worked too hard for snake and the projectile change is harsh.
A good jiggs is nearly unbeatable. Ice climbers down through ***** sheik. The main annoying part against snake is the fact that he can crouch grabs, crouch your attacks to 160 percent and chain grab you for 60 percent with uthrow.

Top Bottom