• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having MU troubles with Bowser

Janx

Banned via Warnings
Hey y'all,
I've been maining Bowser competitively since March last year, and it's getting tough to get very far at all, my best so far is 3-2. I start every set w/Bowser, but since there are so many projectile spammers and swordies that just cancel out Bowser, I usually lose the first match. Then I might try a secondary like Banjo, which never works since I don't practice with him as much. Should I try to overcome those bad MUs, or would it be best to just drop him entirely and go all in with one of my secondaries? (Secondaries being Banjo and Zelda.)

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Banjo isn't a bad pick if you're having trouble, but often times with Bowser it's an issue of player-to-player. On the ground, Bowser's arms are swords and he has no problem going toe-to-toe against the likes of Marcina. Projectile characters like Link and TLink often have blind spots in their zoning at specific ranges and in mid range we have options to zonebreak. The issue is that Bowser needs to stand strong and not give up stage control without reason. A lot Bowsers move back too far and don't know when to overspace something vs an overly defensive projectile zoner. Should Bowser continue being a problem for you vs these kinds of characters, it's fine to go ahead and switch off and try and improve Banjo. The more cards you have up your sleeves, the better your chances in bracket, imo. Bowser is simple enough that your proficiency won't rust too fast.

Fluidity1895

Smash Rookie
When I play against swordies and zoners, I try to play more patiently by using fair to space out their moves. The matchups that are really bad for Bowser are characters like Palu or Joker who use long combos and have good kill potential afterward.

Last edited:
Top Bottom