• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

having major DS issues

kyletree

Smash Cadet
For some reason, the game de-synchs every single match I play. It's gotten to the point where it's not even worth playing anymore, anyone have any idea how to fix this? Mariguas is the one hosting, and he said that he doesn't have this issue with anyone else, so I know its my computer. Also, I'm connected through ethernet to a fast connection. Thanks in advance

Sangoku

Smash Master
Have you checked jaime's thread on DS first? If not I suggest you first read it to see if you can prevent some secondary causes of DS. http://smashboards.com/threads/desy...nalysis-on-causes-and-how-to-fix-them.298904/

If nothing works then you might have to play with a different emulator and convince your opponent to use the same one. We're currently in the process of thinking we might have to try to all switch. Check out the last page of the smash index, Madao linked to a version of mupen that's supposedly better and with the best plugins.

kyletree

Smash Cadet
We tried mupen today actually, but it wouldn't let me connect when he hosted. Do you have to do something special to get p2p working in mupen?

Zeds

Smash Apprentice
I know one of my friends, yaowa, had this exact same problem. Drove us nuts; no lag, just ds'd every other game. He fixed it and said it was a problem with his internet. He's out of town atm but i will inquire further nd hopefully hit you back with a solution.

Sensei

Smash Lord
It could be your ISP. I had a similar problem where I was getting slower connection than usual or just drop but then it magically started working again. I did a benchmark test and talked to my ISP and I think they might have working on something outside and it just started working eventually.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
The official website being...? Let's hope it's not smasher's blogspot website.

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
I've been trying to use Project64K and am having the same issue, the crazy thing is I've tried it on 2 different computers (one with XP and one with Windows 7) and 3 different ISPs now so I just don't know what's up. Not only does it desync basically every match I play but I can't even get it to run smoothly on my computer at all. Should I switch to mupen or something?

Madao

I've been trying to use Project64K and am having the same issue, the crazy thing is I've tried it on 2 different computers (one with XP and one with Windows 7) and 3 different ISPs now so I just don't know what's up. Not only does it desync basically every match I play but I can't even get it to run smoothly on my computer at all. Should I switch to mupen or something?
Yes you should. You mind elaborating on not getting it to run smoothly?

The majority of the time, desync is caused by the emulator and not your internet connection. Sure if you're dropping packets or something, it's more likely to happen, but also a good emulator prevents desync even with bad connection.

Sure it would be a good idea to check your internet and improve it if possible, but that's not the only thing you should do to prevent desync.

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
Actually I just read Jaime's post about some of the causes which I didn't even realize: I tend to try to switch to fullscreen, and also I'm using the Nrage plugin because it works better with my ****ty mayfire adapter. I used to think it was probably the ISP at my old house but at the place I'm staying now the connection is much faster and I was still having issues today so it's probably my emulator/set up.

Madao

Actually I just read Jaime's post about some of the causes which I didn't even realize: I tend to try to switch to fullscreen, and also I'm using the Nrage plugin because it works better with my ****ty mayfire adapter. I used to think it was probably the ISP at my old house but at the place I'm staying now the connection is much faster and I was still having issues today so it's probably my emulator/set up.
It certainly is your emulator. As I've mentioned earlier, I ran 2 pj64k exes and connected to local host and desynched from the start. That's how you know the emulator sucks for netplay. At the start, I saw that the character in the intro was different.. That's why people were under the assumption that cpu players cause desync, but in reality, the cpu simply exposed the fact that each player didn't have the exact same game state.

What version of Nrage are you using? It's been a while since I used a controller, but I know using keyboard has some weird intentional delay on the newer ones, so I like Nrage 1.61. I believe 1.83 had the delay, and I don't feel like trying every single version, so I'll stick with 1.61.

It really boggles my mind how people would prioritize other things over reducing desync. To each their own I guess.

Top Bottom