• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having a little trouble

xShadoFiendx

Smash Rookie
I went to a tourney yesterday and got 3rd. I lost to Diddy and surprisingly enough, a Baby Bowser.

This was my first Baby Bowser so I was alittle confused on what to look out for. Is it safe to say the best place you want to be vs a Baby Bowser is below him and to keep juggling him? I was fighting Seagull's on neutral and it was becoming a pain to actually get solid hits on him. Though it was most likely a lack of experience ever fighting one? I'm not too sure.

Also Diddy Kong... Never learned how to truly wreck him in brawl since we barely had any in my region. My inexperience transferred over to Smash 4 apparently. I was catching on to the MU in loser's final but way too late. I wasn't aware glide toss wasn't in the game either until that moment (my fault for not checking). My biggest annoyance in this MU is down throw to up air, which Boss told me is free damage for Diddy. Any advice someone can throw my way for these two MUs? I plan on practicing them abit more before my next tourney on Tuesday, maybe.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Huh.. funny enough, that's a similar predicament I'm in.

... Except I barely got by due to people not knowing how to play the new game, or just screwing up mechanically which allowed me to take 2nd.

*Ahem.* In any case, you have the right idea with Bowser Jr. He really doesn't have a good way to cover his underside. Though I won't lie when I say it's not going to be easy to get into the habit of shielding the entirety of his Dair; should that be their option. Fair to juggle will be your best friend here. That means not being directly under him but being close enough that nothing else will hit you. Shame Fair had to get nerfed; but, oh well. Or if you really like trying to punish him hard for being above you, kick him in the fair with a Bair. It'll trade, or it'll get the weak-hit. Either way, at least you keep him in the air longer.

Truth be told: approaching him doesn't even sound that easy practically speaking. Sure, you can use your raw speed to get in before he has the chance to react. But what if he has a MechaKoopaling, right? That will certainly put a damper in your plans. Best to just hold on to it and toss it at him or up so that; if nothing else, he can't generate another one to annoy you.

Sonic also doesn't have the luxury of being nearly as quick in the air. I feel like if you tried to approach that way, you'd just get Kidz-Bopped with an Uair... or worse; yet, swatted away with wrecking balls. You thought Sonic was ballin', check out the future king.

... Uhm, I hope this doesn't seem like a shameless plug; but, if watching yourself doesn't give you anything, please consider my match with Justin. I do hope that; if you end up taking the time to watch me, that I have some indirect insight to offer you.

I have some other matches on the same channel with regards to another match with Larry. I lost that one; but, you know: a thousand lessons from defeat.

And probably what you may find more critical to be is Lycan's Diddy Kong; who I lost to so I really have nothing I could say to you that would be of any help as I myself am still trying to wrap my head around how I'm going to beat this stupid chimpanzee who gets what is really a free 25% at low levels which actually kills later on. I actually would like some advice myself, TBH.

... Although wise Cammy has told me that apparently it can be DI'd. I'm thinking that it becomes a 50-50 guess where you could Spring, Bair/Dair/Nair/Far/etc. Anything is better than giving the kill away for free, I'll say that much.

Last edited:

xShadoFiendx

Smash Rookie
I'll gladly watch your matches to get some more insight. Maybe that's what I should be doing in the first place. When I was fighting Joe, he'd place the bomb down before him which forced me to either grab it, jump over it (horrible cause BB's aerials seem to really shine), or just try to wait it out. I'll try picking it up and just throwing it up next time though, I hadn't thought of that. That little puppet really makes me slow down in that match up, which is funny and sad. Never knew it'd be so annoying. Orochi, I'll try it out. I didn't try smashing up B, but that sounds like maybe it could work, cause I felt it was barely holding me for the kill when it did hit once.

When it comes to Diddy, I guess the gameplan is still the same with getting him off the stage and focusing on making sure he can't make it back. Forcing them to recover low seems to be the gameplan, but I don't feel comfortable dairing off stage for the spike as of yet. I will say fighting Diddy on FD (Paltuena Omega w/e) felt pretty comfortable. Also town and city. I guess our stage strike for him is still battlefield.. though maybe halberd too because of the low ceiling. With spinshot, Sonic can move about Battlefield well, so I suppose halberd would be our best bet for a strike vs that stupid monkey.

I'll probably try to just throw the banana up and work from there. Also I noticed something strange when fighting this guy's Diddy. Sometimes I'd spindash, and it'd clash with the banana laying stationary on the level. Then other times I'd roll over it and hit him. Any idea why that seems so freaking random?

Top Bottom