• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having a hard time timing boost smash...

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
I just picked up Falco a week or two ago, and I believe that I've made quite a bit of progress already. Obviously, I have a ton more work to do, but I hope to be a good Falco someday =p

Anyways, I picked up boost smashing the other day, and I've noticed that the dash attack-usmash combo has the exact button combo that the boost usmash does. I want to be able to choose when I boost smash or do the combo, and I'm having a hard time finding the difference in timing.

So basically, I need tips on how to learn/achieve the difference in timing between the combo and the boost smash. If anyone could link a video that helps with this, that would be really nice =) I couldn't find one on these forums=\

Thanks in advance for the help.

homicidalrapist

Smash Apprentice
doing boost smash, you have to immediately press up + Z after C down. the faster you do that, the more distance you cover. i believe a frame perfect boost smash covers 1/2 FD, the average falco should be able to do it 1/4 or 1/5 FD consistently.

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty much what the guys above said.

If you don't use tap jump, try turning it off for the controls under the name which u use. For some strange reason I do it twice as effectively with tap jump off.

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I have tap jump off when I play Falco. It's not that I have troubles doing the boost smash/combo...it's just that I have a hard time doing the combo when I want the combo, and the boost smash when I want to boost smash. I run into the problem of doing the one that I don't want to do. I was wondering, in general, if it's just a practice thing, or if there is some sound, timing, trick, tip,. etc. that you use to help you guys use the right one at the right time. It's probably just a highly frame-specific difference between the two that requires a good amount of practice to get down, but, yeah...if you guys have any other advice to help me, then please, do share :p

Thanks for the input so far, too, guys =)

-mugen-

Smash Journeyman
Just use logic.

It's dash, down-c, up-z. If you end up just dashing, you're not pressing up-z fast enough after you press down-c. If you end up doing a dair, you got the order messed up and you didn't press z. If you end up d-smashing, then you didn't press the joystick sideways.

A tip that may help. Just try dashing for a couple seconds and then press down-c and immediately up-z. If you're not trying so hard to get the control stick movement in quickly, it becomes easier, as you are just focusing on the down-z and up-z input.

ynnek123

Smash Ace
You guys might think I'm weird, but I'm having an EXTREMELY hard time to gatling combo... I can boost smash perfectly, but when I try to gatling combo I either do it too fast(bost smash) or too slow(dash attack)... WTF?

Top Bottom