• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having a bad time with Roy

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
So I fought this Roy on For Glory not long ago. We had like 30ish matches. I tried a variety of characters, Ryu, Lucas, Shulk...but mostly Ness. And I just could not win! I felt like I was running into everything, even when I was trying to be super careful. Could someone watch these videos and critique me. Tell me what I did wrong. What can I do better.

^With this one, I lost my second jump somehow...

Oh, and then I switched to Sonic. First time, he two stocked me. Second time, I finally won. But still, that's like 1 to 29 or something. Here's that video:

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'm not going to write out something I noticed for each video, since a lot of what you did in the first one, you did in the others. Being near the edge puts you at risk for early kills, as it happened in the first replay. When he knocked you away, you'd for whatever reason, go back and try to land an attack on him, when you should have avoided him and tried to get back onto the ground instead. It was the same thing when he grabbed you. Instead of jumping after being thrown down, you descended next to him. Not a good option. You also used an abundant amount of PK Fire. You should learn how to use PK Fire in the air. You've got two good options. Either learn to Double Jump PK Fire Lag Cancel, or Jump PK Fire. Or both, to mix things up a bit. using PK Fire on the ground puts you at a higher risk for messing up, whereas the other two options don't. You should also just empty hop and see how your opponent reacts. Roy blocked often, and in the first replay, you didn't grab once. Also, reduce the number of dash attacks since sometimes your opponent isn't even going to be on the ground.

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
Was there anything I did with Sonic that I maybe could've applied to Ness? Or is Sonic just a completely different beast?

Uffe

Smash Hero
Obviously you did a lot better with Sonic than Ness. That doesn't mean you should drop Ness, though, even though I believe Sonic is a better character than Ness because of his speed, tactics, off stage game, and recovery. With Sonic, you spaced yourself better, and you sort of applied pressure through spins, which typically works against most players, because initiating a spin could mean you're about to spin at them and they want to avoid damage any way they can, thus, allowing Sonic to possibly go for a free grab. I guess feinting wasn't necessary here, but what that is is simply spinning in place and fooling your opponent into believing you're about to come for them when in actuality, you're not. I mean, you could, but it's kind of a mind game in itself. I'd try that out the next time you face someone without a projectile.

Sonic is a completely different character than Ness. Both have their own playstyles. I think a lot of the reasons you were able to get in close with him without repercussion was because your speed. It gave you an advantage that Ness doesn't have. More pokes would be better with your Ness. I mean, you did it with Sonic's f-tilt against Roy's shield several times, and it worked. I understand Ness has shorter legs, but don't dismiss his jabs and tilts. They can be useful. Going back to Sonic, you did space yourself a lot better. You didn't put yourself in a position where you could just be destroyed. You racked up damage on that Roy's second stock before he even removed yours. If you can do that with Sonic, try to apply that same tactic with Ness. Space yourself more, don't fall into your opponents attacks, and you're kind of set. When I fight people, sometimes there are certain attacks I'd like to use, but during the match, I have to think, "Would that be a good idea? Will it put me at risk?" In a scenario, you and your opponent are close to one another and both of you have shield up and aren't even facing each other. What would be the best option? A reverse pivot grab? A reverse f-tilt? A reverse f-smash? Rolling, running, jumping? Realistically, probably running. I'm not the best player, but when going against your opponent, you've got to actively think and try to find a pattern in their game play.

Last edited:

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
Oh no, I'd never drop Ness. I still feel way more confident fighting someone with Ness than any other character. I think a big problem I have is dealing with pressure. I tend to panic when I’m getting combo’d and instead of thinking what to do next, I just try and dodge immediately or do something to get them off me like doing an air attack, which just lands me in further trouble. It’s a hard habit to break, because when someone’s all up in your face, it’s hard to think on the spot of what the best thing to do is.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
"Having a bad time"
Should I be ashamed that the first thing I thought of was Undertale?

Top Bottom