• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Have you ever fought someone online that plays so bad that they are kind of good?

Can a player be so bad that they are good(at least online)?

• Total voters

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
It's weird... They chose the most ridiculous move to use in a situation and it's so unexpected especially if your used to that not happening. Lag is involved in this type of situation too since they get away with stupid things that would not happen offline. Luck is involved too with these types of things... What do you think?

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Me in a nutshell. Although in my case, it never works for wins. I have a 15% win rate :(

1FC0

Smash Lord
This "I lost because my opponent is too bad" is probably one of the most ridiculous johns ever.

When a game starts it might happen that I overestimate the opponent causing him to get a few hits on me. But if he really is that bad then his playstyle is obvious and easy to figure out, which means that I figure him out and proceed to 2-stock him anyway. If you cannot figure out someone fast enough to win a 2-stock match then you probably got outmindgamed and played worse. And who knows, maybe those people who you think played so bad that you lost just outmindgamed you so much that you still do not realise it.

The only thing that makes me john is very heavy lag since when they is a 1 second input delay or something like that the game is almost unplayable but few games are so laggy that I start johning so I guess I have good internet.

Last edited:

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
Thx that covers this thread pretty well. It's like an all or nothing lol.
This "I lost because my opponent is too bad" is probably one of the most ridiculous johns ever.

When a game starts it might happen that I overestimate the opponent causing him to get a few hits on me. But if he really is that bad then his playstyle is obvious and easy to figure out, which means that I figure him out and proceed to 2-stock him anyway. If you cannot figure out someone fast enough to win a 2-stock match then you probably got outmindgamed and played worse. And who knows, maybe those people who you think played so bad that you lost just outmindgamed you so much that you still do not realise it.

The only thing that makes me john is very heavy lag since when they is a 1 second input delay or something like that the game is almost unplayable but few games are so laggy that I start johning so I guess I have good internet.
I agree for the most part. That's why I said mostly online. It's weird when an obviously terrible player does mind games though. I use mind games in my playstyle usually. Charging your smash attack to the maximum really throw off aggressive players lol.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
The term 'Beginner's Luck' when applied to fighting games pretty much applies to what @ Nah Nah linked. Fighting games have always been about reading the player and not fighting the character in higher levels of play, and when the opponent has no base knowledge to apply to the fight they'll start experimenting. You really can't guess what experiments they'll be doing, which is why they'll catch you off guard. As they get better, they start developing patterns that veterans can read and start learning just like the rest of us.

It can be frustrating, but it is how it is. It's why you can suddenly be beaten by a 6 year old who has only the base knowledge of how games work, as they are the closest a human can get to a true random generator.

Top Bottom