• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Have Schools Been Exploiting Students?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liszt

Smash Rookie
Has your school reopened or is it fully online? Are facilities closed down e.g. labs, gyms, and other campus resources that you would normally use on a regular basis? Is there any attempt by your school to reduce tuition? And if so by what monetary value or %. Have there been any massive layoffs or have opportunities like internships been affected by the onset of the virus?

This post is very much a work in progress as I'm slow to articulate most of my thoughts into words and also find that my thoughts on issues tend to change as new information becomes available. Due to smashboards having a notable demographic of students enrolled in 2 year and 4 year programs, masters, and PhD studies I was curious how the Coronavirus epidemic has affected the educational situation. An and all recommendations to refer me to resources would be greatly appreciated as well as anecdotes.

Disclaimer: I am of the opinion that schools are exploiting students with the explosive rise in tuition with little to no change in infrastructure. Schools still relying on one professor to teach a classroom of students with some schools having a 1:200 ratio in big lecture halls. Currently the most well endowed institutions are known for their exclusivity rather than their availability in educational resources. The idea that schools are offering less resources to students without changing base tuition has been a further driver that schools have deviated away from education as a core value and are more focused on exploitation of students for financial profitability.

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"I think there must be something wrong with me, Linus. Christmas is coming, but I'm not happy. I don't feel the way I'm supposed to feel." - A Charlie Brown Christmas

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

"[Federal Student Aid] is nearly 10 percent of our nation's debt." - Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos on the $1.54 trillion federal student loan debt of which 92% is owned by the U.S. Department of Education

Starting with the federal government getting involved in education back with the institution of the GI Bill back in 1944, the government decided to widen its scope by guaranteeing student loans under the Higher Education Act of 1965. In signing the Higher Education Act of 1965 into law, President Johnson said that the act would be a "keystone of the great, fabulous 89th Congress" that would spread "the root of change and reform" throughout the nation. At this time, education was a highly contested topic that had many interlinking themes with the civil rights movement. [Work in Progress]

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
This is a great topic and I appreciate your presentation. I will edit this post later once you've made more progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom