• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Have any tips for practicing the short hop & L cancel with Samus?

Boolossus

Smash Ace
I can't seem to pull either one off consistantly, and I think that they would really help me move up to the next level of gameplay. Your help is much appreciated.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Here is how i practice.

ShortHop: Go to training and press jump hard, and see how high she jumps. Then press is softly and she will jump lower! Now practice it running and get used to pressing it lightly!!

L-cancel: For this i found it best to play a charactor like Link because he is SOO easy to L-cancel with. After you see the lag go away with Link and l-canceling try Samus.
Why Link first? Because its easy with him and its hard to see the l-cancel with Samus, but not with link!

Hope i helped!

REDRAGON

Watty

Smash Lord
red dragon is right do a bunch of down airs with link and once u see him take th e sword out really fast ur l canceling.

I dont remember how i practiced SH with samus, I think I did it with sheik or marth first cause samus SH sux its almost as tall as her normal jump so its again hard to see so I would work on it with some1 else floaty

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
For short hopping, go to Pokemon Stadium or Yoshi's Story, and try learning the platform missile cancel there. To do it, you have to short hop, so you'll notice yourself overshooting the platform height if you mess up.

For l-cancelling, practicing with a laggier character (like Ganon, Bowser, or just Link's dair) will help you learn the timing, but it won't help you in actually using the decrease in lag. For that, try landing on standing 0% damage characters with a dair, l-cancelling, and dsmashing as soon as possible. If you do it right, training mode will acknowledge it as a 2-hit combo. Also, this is the whole point of l-cancelling: to attack (or dodge, run, jump, wavedash, etc) faster than you normally would be able to. So make sure that you practice l-cancelling into something else ASAP, or you'll be wasting one of the best techniques in the game.

EDIT: For the dair -> dsmash combo thing, I meant to do it with Samus, sorry if I didn't make that clear at first.

Samus247

Smash Journeyman
Here is how i practice.

ShortHop: Go to training and press jump hard, and see how high she jumps. Then press is softly and she will jump lower! Now practice it running and get used to pressing it lightly!!

L-cancel: For this i found it best to play a charactor like Link because he is SOO easy to L-cancel with. After you see the lag go away with Link and l-canceling try Samus.
Why Link first? Because its easy with him and its hard to see the l-cancel with Samus, but not with link!

Hope i helped!

REDRAGON

i know i screw up when to FF a lot, which in turn screws up the L-cancel timing. Make sure you're FF correctly. Also, pressing jump quickly is the key, you can press it as hard as you want as long as your quicky about it.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
i know i screw up when to FF a lot, which in turn screws up the L-cancel timing. Make sure you're FF correctly. Also, pressing jump quickly is the key, you can press it as hard as you want as long as your quicky about it.
Yeah, i messed up. I meant quickly not lightly.......

IM_A_HUSTLA

Smash Journeyman
even thought samus' SH sux its still useful for things like SHMC and LC-missles,

the way i learned, was to practice alot with characters that its very easy to do it with(falco, bowser, etc.)

once u got those down jus try to use the same movement for samus

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Thanks all. I can actually pull off the L-Cancel consistantly with Link, but his falling speed is greater different then that of Samus, so would that affect my timing?

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)

The fast fall is the hardest bit if you ask me. Most other characters have such a quicker short hop that I FF purely by reflex where I think I should...only with Samus, she is still going up =/.

Different characters have different fall speeds, and given attacks and such, it is hard to perfectly L-cancel everyone. But if you can get the general idea, just try to cancel everything you possibly can, the timing will come eventually.

Mars-

Smash Champion
I dont remember how i practiced SH with samus, I think I did it with sheik or marth first cause samus SH sux its almost as tall as her normal jump so its again hard to see so I would work on it with some1 else floaty
I don't know what your talking about, it’s so easy to see if you SH in a level with platforms. I learned to SH from playing falco for fun and then trying fox. I eventually got good at SH lazering with fox and fox’s SH is a bit harder then samus’s so I could then SH with samus.

I also got my L-canceling precise with fox because I was having trouble getting the l-cancel with the drill shine. I just started looking when I was half way through their body then I press L.

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
Personally I started out doing the same thing. I'd practice L Cancelling with fox's dair to shine, but it never really helped me with Samus' timing. My suggestion would be to L Cancel Samus Uairs, because you can really tell when she does it. Just do a uair and hold either left or right while she's falling and L cancel. If you do it right she'll start walking right away.

SH's are really hard with Samus, you kinda have to graze the jump button with your thumb. Fortunately, once you master SH with Samus, you'll pretty much be able to SH easily with any other character after that. So practice your SH with Samus.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Personally I started out doing the same thing. I'd practice L Cancelling with fox's dair to shine, but it never really helped me with Samus' timing. My suggestion would be to L Cancel Samus Uairs, because you can really tell when she does it. Just do a uair and hold either left or right while she's falling and L cancel. If you do it right she'll start walking right away.

SH's are really hard with Samus, you kinda have to graze the jump button with your thumb. Fortunately, once you master SH with Samus, you'll pretty much be able to SH easily with any other character after that. So practice your SH with Samus.
Yeah, what I do now is tap the very bottom of the X button. =P It works really well.

Top Bottom