• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has Shadow Sneak always been like this?

Equin0x

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Th3Equin0x
3DS FC
0189-9475-0972
Hello, frog boards! Im a ZSS and Yoshi user with a question and a lot of anger salt.

During a For Glory session, I came across a capable Greninja user. I was enjoying myself playing him, when something rather... Unorthodox happened.

I prefectly read a landing Fair and countered with a D-smash. Fully confident it would kill, I hit him with an Fsmash, but only the first hit connected. Immediately after the first hit connected, when any of character would be locked in hitsun, he vanished into Shadow Sneak and punished me for trying to hit him with a true combo.

As Yoshi, he did the same thing out of my Dair. It seemed like a new cloud was spawned everytime I he shouldve gotten hit by the move, and after the final hit, he bopped me with the kick I knew was coming.

Has Greninja always bern able to do this, or is this a product of the new patch? Is there some way to avoid this? Is there a list of moves that fail as a result of this? Please and thank you for your help.

Last edited:

bou0010

Smash Rookie
NNID
bou0010
3DS FC
2621-2743-4496
Shadow Sneak can cancel the hitstun from some moves. This isn't new. As far as I'm aware, all 2-part f-smashes can be SSed out of, as well as some other moves/combos

Slickfate

Smash Rookie
NNID
Slikfate
3DS FC
0447-8773-9657
Shadow Sneak has a lot of priority, therefore it can escape moves like that, from my experience. It could also be what @ bou0010 bou0010 said. I don't know any ways of avoiding this, nor a list.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
I'm curious if Shadow Sneak can get us out of ZSS's boost kick? That would be a huge turner of the tables, so to speak.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
Well...This is certainly get use in the future lol.

Makani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CLF.Makani
Hello, frog boards! Im a ZSS and Yoshi user with a question and a lot of anger.

During a For Glory session, I came across a capable Greninja user. I was enjoying myself playing him, when something rather... Unorthodox happened.

I prefectly read a landing Fair and countered with a D-smash. Fully confident it would kill, I hit him with an Fsmash, but only the first hit connected. Immediately after the first hit connected, when any of character would be locked in hitsun, he vanished into Shadow Sneak and punished me for trying to hit him with a true combo.

As Yoshi, he did the same thing out of my Dair. It seemed like a new cloud was spawned everytime I he shouldve gotten hit by the move, and after the final hit, he bopped me with the kick I knew was coming.

Has Greninja always bern able to do this, or is this a product of the new patch? Is there some way to avoid this? Is there a list of moves that fail as a result of this? Please and thank you for your help.
Hi.

To answer your question, yes, Greninja has always been capable of this. A couple of characters are for a couple of reasons, such as Mac's UpB because of it being frame-1 invincible, same thing with Marth/Lucina. Greninja is able to Shadow Sneak out of multi-hit moves and very few single hit moves.
As for you perfectly reading a FAir and punishing it with an FSmash, I knew you would so I just mashed Shadow Sneak for a followup punish.
There's really no way to avoid it other than perfect spacing.

Last edited:

Equin0x

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Th3Equin0x
3DS FC
0189-9475-0972
@ Makani Makani so that was you? You have nooo idea how salty I was. You mentioned perfect spacing, but a friend if mine labbed it with me and even at point blank Greninja can escape ZSS' fsmash with SS. (Even though it registers as a true combo when SS isn't used. :glare:) What did you mean by perfect spacing?

AND I READ THE FAIR AND EVERYTHING FBSI EICTJDH

Makani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CLF.Makani
@ Makani Makani so that was you? You have nooo idea how salty I was. You mentioned perfect spacing, but a friend if mine labbed it with me and even at point blank Greninja can escape ZSS' fsmash with SS. (Even though it registers as a true combo when SS isn't used. :glare:) What did you mean by perfect spacing?

AND I READ THE FAIR AND EVERYTHING FBSI EICTJDH
You can't perfectly space her FAir since she moves forward on the 2nd hit of it, you'd just have to hit with the 2nd hit alone. You can only space perfectly with attacks that don't move you forward.
Aside from that you played a pretty good Samus and Yoshi, I was pretty pressured myself.

Equin0x

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Th3Equin0x
3DS FC
0189-9475-0972
Trying to disrespect me with the FG Ganon smh

Last edited:
Top Bottom