• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has anyone noticed this?

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
This has happened quite a few times, im olimar and ill get knocked off the edge, and they will procede to edgehog me, and i do my up and hit them and they plumit to their death (along with me of course since i cant use it again) they dont die all the time, i think if they have high % then it obviously works much better... i was wondering if having a purple pikmin at the end might be what did it (or killed them).

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
I'm not sure if purple Pikmin are the reason why this happens, but I've done the exact same thing. Usually it's because the opponent edge-hogs too early, making them vulnerable to getting spiked by Olimar's tether. I think it works with any color Pikmin, as long as you hit them at a 45 degree angle, and it must be perfect.

Delere

Smash Rookie
I just did a few minutes of testing on this. I'm almost positive that this will vary by stage and the weight of the character, so for clarification I was on Final Destination vs Lucario. Keep in mind that I only did this stage versus this character. I did not do any extensive testing, but I did enough to know that the following is true:

For the knockback to have any effect at all, you have to hit the person directly with the last pikmin on your tether. So you have to be at ~70 degree angle from them to hit them, because of Olimar's little short hop up before the tether shoots out.

I found that of the 5 colors of pikmin, all but yellow had the same spike effect downwards. The yellows seemed to knock the opponent to the side away from the stage(ex, right ledge on the stage, the yellow pikmin sent it to the right) but not far enough to matter very much at 0, 30, or 50%.

Of the four that spiked downwards, purple seemed to be very slightly more effective than the other three. I didn't notice any difference between red, white, and blue (no pun intended) surprisingly--I was expecting the white to be weaker--but they didn't seem to be.

Basically the same results for purple, white, red, and blue-

At 0% damage, lucario was able to recover fairly easily, although it did knock him down off the screen, he still recovered.

At 30%, lucario was BARELY able to recover, mid-air jump + bup barely got him to the ledge.

At 50%, lucario was stunned too badly and was dead before he could do anything.

That's all the testing I did, and am probably going to do, at least for tonight.

From what I can tell, this would be a good weapon to use if you get gimped and can't recover(no purples, miss on the throw, etc)

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
Is there a good way to test this without having two people? ive tried testing it via training mode, giving myself control over both, but i dont have time to try and recover with the other remote while im attacking with the first one.

Id like to see more information on this, since tether recovery is olimars pretty much only weakness, anything that helps him out in that area is gold! im supprised more people arent interested in this!

Delere

Smash Rookie
Is there a good way to test this without having two people? ive tried testing it via training mode, giving myself control over both, but i dont have time to try and recover with the other remote while im attacking with the first one.

Id like to see more information on this, since tether recovery is olimars pretty much only weakness, anything that helps him out in that area is gold! im supprised more people arent interested in this!
I did it by myself, just get into position, Bup with Olimar, grab the other controller and spam tap jump.

Top Bottom