• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hardest character to edge guard?

blazegoat

Smash Rookie
NNID
blazegoat
Hello. So Ive noticed that in about every smash game I've played, i usually tend to pick characters with lack luster recoveries and sometimes I get exploited by them (i.e. people jumping down to intercept my recovery as Ness so they can tech the wall after). So I was wondering, who are the most difficult characters to edge guard?

Last edited:

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Obviously characters that have large recoveries with plenty of options, but it's beneficial to have hitboxes on them, no matter how powerful, so that anyone trying to attack you will have a harder time. Try Luigi, Wario, Fox, Falco, or Wii Fit Trainer.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I would say ZSS and Villager are contenders for best recovery. Both have multiple options for recovery which can even be used in tandem.

ZSS has her boost kick, which gives her decent vertical recovery (and opponents respect or die); her flip jump, which goes vertical and horizontal and is risky to take on in the air; and her tether recovery, which lets her avoid a lot of temporary charge edgeguard moves while recovering an obscene distance. She is very scary to edgeguard, to the point that it's not really worth it for many/most characters.

Villager can recover from basically anywhere with Lloid and Balloon Trip. Granted, balloon trip doesn't have a hitbox, but being able to basically go anywhere freely more or less makes up for it imo. And Lloid has all your hitbox needs covered.

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
Tooting my own horn but Ike has 2 options to recover with, Aether is really hard to punish without getting hurt due to its armor, quick draw is easier to punish but still a viable recovery

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Definitely freaking villager, he can recover from anywhere. Pacman also has a ton of recovery options.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm gonna have to agree that it's Zero Suit Samus.

At least three reliable recovery options, each of which can make your day miserable in its own way.

EDIT: Unless you play her.

In which case, good for you!

Last edited:

eviljoeybonkers

Smash Apprentice
NNID
eviljoeybonkers
3DS FC
4897-6248-0097
Villager easily. That recovery is possibly the best in the game with how much distance it covers and how tough it is to pop the balloons.

blazegoat

Smash Rookie
NNID
blazegoat
I thought about villager, but when he recovers with his ballons its pretty easy to just sit on the ledge and hit him since it has no hitbox.

Any character that outright teleports is good for returning to the ledge through any hitbox wall your opponent is trying to set up. Sheik, Zelda and Mewtwo can do it, from memory. The only issue is that many of these have an exploitable cooldown after reappearing, but hey, at least you make it back onto the stage.

Nintendoge_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bwooper
3DS FC
1306-6166-5014
I thought about villager, but when he recovers with his ballons its pretty easy to just sit on the ledge and hit him since it has no hitbox.
Not really. The balloons can block most attacks (not exactly sure how they're blocking/absorbing mechanic works, but I almost never seem to get hit by anything that hits a balloon before it hits me), and you have tons of projectiles to keep people off the ledge or force them into shield while you safely recover. Are you far away from the ledge? Send off a rocket so that the opponent will be forced to dodge/shield it while you get back! Are you closer to the edge and your opponent is waiting there, attempting to set up an edge guard? Hit them back with slingshots while you hop back on stage!

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Pikachu is the only character who I simply cannot gimp.

Greninja is pretty difficult, too.

Lucario is easy unless he's high on percentage but then it wouldn't really matter.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Obviously characters that have large recoveries with plenty of options, but it's beneficial to have hitboxes on them, no matter how powerful, so that anyone trying to attack you will have a harder time. Try Luigi, Wario, Fox, Falco, or Wii Fit Trainer.
Did you just say Fox is hard to edgeguard? I hope I'm reading that wrong.
I'm going to say Pikachu, because I'm pretty sure Quick Attack is truly impossible to interrupt.

Man of shame

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ManOfShame
Jiggly puff multiple jumps fast air speed
villager great recovery
Pikachu Super fast up b
Most characters with teleport up b's
King dedede: multiple jumps, gordos to create shield,and a great recovery that has super Armour and meteor smashes if the player goes to deep.

Top Bottom