• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Halo fanboyz need to chill when it's time to Brawl

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Link to original post: [drupal=767]Halo fanboyz need to chill when it's time to Brawl[/drupal]

(Note: I have nothing against Halo. I love to play the game too, though I epic fail at it. I also have nothing agaonst Halo players as well.)

Hey guys, this is my first time blogging, so bear with me. I just felt like letting loose the frustrations I dealt with last night involving a friend of mine who plays Halo competitively.
Since school was cancelled the next day due to water issues, me and some friends got together to play Brawl and Halo 2/Halo 3. Naturally, since I can't play FPS games for my life, I played, more Brawl. And for my last five matches of the night, I would be facing some of the toughest competitors yet.

We were doing best of 5 matches. I switched characters frequently. I teamed with a Link, and even though Link is low tier, this kid plays an amazing Link, being the only character he uses. My opponents played Lucas and Wolf, and they are quite the spammers (THIS ISN'T A JOHN!) Basically in my opinion, there are two kinds of spammers. Those who spam mindlessly, and are easy to beat, and those who have a well strategy, and know what they're doing. These guys were the 2nd of options in this case. The Wolf user is a profesional Halo player. And even though this was friendly matches, he treated them as if they were big.

Round 1
The first match was on Battle Field. Falco/Link vs. Lucas/Wolf. Pretty even match. We lost though because in the end, it was me vs. Wolf, and I've only been playing Falco for a week now, so I had difficuulty fighting back. ENTER HALO EFFECTS! Wolf user didn't like using my wavebird, because it had lag or something. I argued back, saying that WaveBird lag is very minimum to the point that nobody notices it. I said maybe his moves weren't working because he wasn't used to the controller after playing Halo for 3 hours previously, or maybe the lag was slightly present since he played Halo and it seemed slower reaction to him. He said no. "Wireless controllers always have lag!" Ironically, he was using a wireless XBOX 360 controller earlier with no issues. Never the less, we let him switch controllers mid-battle.

Round 2
Delfino Plaza. Bowser/Link vs. Lucas/Wolf
Wolf user was not pleased with this counterpick since it was a "stage that can kill you," (stages he hates.)But we played it and won, probably because I'm very comfortable with the stage, even though Bowser has weak recovery. We knocked Lucas's first life off in 30 seconds, and the rest followed. It was then me and me and Link vs. Wolf. Now, in team attack, I get nervous about hitting my teammate, so I stood off to the side and let Link make the kill, hitting when I could. Wolf was upset, but we moved on.

Round 3
Lylat Cruise. Same characters.
We. Got. *****. and Wolf never stopped reminding us. It ended up being me vs. them, and let me just say, PK thunder is a real pain (for lack of a moddable word) in doubles. But we sucked it in and moved on.

Round 4
Bridge of Elden. Pokemon Trainer/Link vs. Lucas/Wolf
I let Link choose our counterpick, and he chose this. I made a fair warning that the stage was banned, but surprisingly, Wolf said sure (even though it's a killing stage.) Wolf ened up losing his second life early by getting trapped under the bridge, and his last life followed. I let Link fight Lucas like in round 2, and we won. Wolf was pissed because the stage killed him, even though he agreed to play there. and he was crapping about his new controller. I figured by now, controller issues were probably his fault, but I said nothing. We had a match to win.

FINAL ROUND
Smashville. Falco/Link vs. Lucas/Wolf
God, this is a tiny stage for doubles. Luckily, Lucas died early on his second life, giving us the advantage. In the end, it was me and Link vs. Wolf. Wolf put up a nice fight, but like round 2, it was because I stayed to the side more so Link wouldn't get hurt. Even though Link had 100% at the start of Wolf's last life, he managed to bring Wolf up to 90% before dying with some help from me. It was a struggle, since we both had high damage, but I managed to pull out an Up smash, giving us the win. Me and my teammate were happy for beating the team nobody had beat in a while. Lucas user was courteous in saying "good games." and we were the same. But Wolf had something else to say.

He johned by blaming his controller, though he had PLENTY of time to switch out. He did not offer any kind words like we did, which really irked me, being that we had to him. He also talked on how he shouldn't have lost since he apparently ***** us in 1 vs. 2. I brought up that if he was doing so, he should have won (I should have also said that I was sidelining for a reason, but I figured that sounded Johnish.) But even so, Link took him to the limit on his last life, though he had 100% so tell me. Who got *****?

That just irks me to no end. I am happy we won, and I believe we deserved it no matter what he said. It makes me laugh to see him john all the time, but it also irritates me that he can't admit that he lost, especially since Brawl isn't his speacialty in video games. Halo is. and even though Halo is a great game, I believe he brought the bad and stereotypical aspects of it to Brawl. I mean, CALM DOWN! We were playing some casual matchs, and you're treating it like it's your life or something. Sure, I get mad at videogames too, but at least I can admit I lost and not complain about why I did and how it was "unfair" or why I should have won. Meh, I guess maybe I'm making a big deal of this, or I just don't get the whole competitive gaming thing but COME ON MAN!

Yeah, what do you think?

Geist

Smash Master
I'm really glad not ALL halo "fanboyz" are like this. Unfortunately, it's still the majority.
I play Halo competitively, and it pisses me off to no end to hear the constant excuses, yelling, johning, complaining, etc. In tense competition I can understand SOME of it, but they still find ways to John that baffle me. It's even worse when it's in casual matches.

That's one thing I'm grateful for in the smash community. I can't help think if the competitive Halo scene had a common word that mirrors Johning, it wouldn't happen as often.

Maybe you should tell him that people who complain don't improve as fast as those who don't. It's a proven fact. Some people spend so much time complaining that they don't take the time to figure out what they did wrong, and can't learn from their mistakes.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I know this guy well. He'd most likely get mad and tell me he could pwn me or somethng, and nothing would be proven.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
They do not. I use them all the time, and besides the rumble, I feel no difference from a regular controller.

AssaultX

Smash Apprentice
No he wouldn't. I know Smitty too well. And also...Wavebirds have ridiculess lag!
see the pun? ridicu LESS? just pointing it out.

besides that, my cousin got absolutely obsessed with Halo as soon he got it for PC (typical for a 6th grader :/ ) and he absolutely refuses to play brawl anymore. All he does now is Halo, Star Wars, Halo, Star wars. His Wii's not even a part of his entertainment anymore.

And worst of all, he talks to himself when he's playing. Some quotes:

"Kill them!! Kill them all!!!!1!!"
"Uncle, you just made me waste a shot from my sniper rifle!!!1!!"
"Stop looking at me when I'm playing!!!1111!"

>_>
<_<
-_-

Now because of that, I just completely lost interest in Halo, even though I never had the Xbox to play it :p.

Thats just my story with Halo. About your blog, I remember that 1UP show for Brawl where they talk about Smash's community being 9001 (lol exaggeration) times friendlier than the Halo community. I guess that means you got a good taste from the Halo community, I'm sorry to say.

From what I see from this, here's the basic summary of both communities:

Halo: JOHN JOHN JOHN JOHN JOHN WHINE JOHN JOHN JOHN WHINE WHINE WHINE

Smash: GG GG GG *funny john* GG GG GG GG GG GG

Top Bottom