• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gyro Game

Rodaku

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dallas7174
3DS FC
4554-0450-6263
Hello, i am Rodaku... after a while of Smash 4 i have come to Love R.O.B. so much, and why is that you asked...
well you shouldn't be asking i mean its in the title... GYRO GAMES

The gyro is one of the greatest tools in R.O.B.s arsenal, forget the jet boosters, his lazors and his Supah Spin, its all about dat Gyro, and i am here to tell you how to get better at your own Gyro game so you can beat others with your awesome Gyro Skills.

NEUTRAL GYRO GAME:
Now when the game starts or during the match, after you thrown out your tool of Mass destruction, run pick that thing up. You don't want your opponent to have your greatest tool to destroy everything. Once you have said tool, your at the advantage, your opponent is scarred stiff and he doesn't even know it. Now the best plan after you pick up your gyro is be somewhat far from your opponent and STAND STILL. This is the biggest mind game you force on your opponent, why you ask? cause now they are forced to run in at a gyro to the face at one point.

Now while your standing there staring your opponent in the eyes showing them your means of destroying them, wait for them to rush, at this point time your throw carefully, there are three major points you want to throw your gyro into your opponents face.
  1. When your opponent stops in the tracks and brings up the shield, just wait a bit and throw it at there face, go get your Gyro and start back to the beginning ot the neutral gyro game.
  2. If your opponent just rushes at you with no thought about there safety, chuck it at there face... back to stage one.
  3. if your opponent jumps, at this point you either chuck that Gyro in the air as a trap for later or jump and at the face.
At if any time you miss said Gyro or the opponent shield your Gyro, then its time to go to your natural R.O.B. skills and beat him up for not respectin the Gyro.

OFF STAGE GYRO GAME:
Now here is your most dangerous part of your Gyro game comes, why you ask, well i will tell you in a sec... but for now, when your opponent is off stage, just try to snipe there second jump with a nicely timed Gyro toss or a Lazor to the face, though Try the lazor most of the time, why? because of the Gyros most dangerous tool in this game, and that is once your opponent is getting to the ledge.

If your opponent has dodged your lazor for some reason or you don't think you can hit it, throw your gyro on the stage and quickly pick it up, this is where your gonna tell your opponent that the ledge is no longer safe. You have two major steps at this point.
  1. Step one: Throw that Gyro right on the ledge, make sure that its RIGHT on it and doesn't fall off or to close on the stage.
  2. Step Two: move a bit off the ledge and do a Down Air, and send that sucka Right to the ground
This is the most Dangerous tool of R.O.B.s Gyro, once you do this your opponent is now 99% dead unless you miss your Down Air. The reason its so dangerous is cause of these reasons.
  • If your opponent will try to roll/get onto the stage, they will get hit by the gyro and get knocked back RIGHT into your Down Air.
  • if your opponent thinks about jumping to dodge the Gyro... DOWN AIR.
  • your opponent can drop a bit but.... again... DOWN AIR.
now if your wondering how to do it, here is an example of it at work:

Your Gyro and YOU:
Now we will talk about Custom Gyros and which ones you plan to use in each matchup, i will explain them based on there order in the game. (i won't be listing damage rations for each because there is already a thread for that kind of stuff but might update it if have to)

REGULAR GYRO:
This Gyro is pretty basic, it goes a nice distance when shot out. the longer you charge it, the longer it lasts and lastly the more you charge (like only a secound or two.) the more damage it does when its thrown out. Picking it up and throwing it will change its damage. Here is a key tip throw when you throw the gyro after picking it up.... Depending on the direction you are facing, Thats where the gyro will knock them back. So if you face left and throw the gyro either UP, Down, or Left. once the gyro hits, it will send the opponent left no matter WHICH part of the gyro hits.

FIRE GYRO:
The Fire gyro is pretty much like the Regular gyro with trade offs... those trade offs being that it doesn't shoot out as far and it doesn't last as long when fully charged, but what it makes up for is with DAMAGE... it does more damage once thrown out and when picked back up and thrown so if you don't care for using your gyro as a trap, then use this and chuck it at people.

Slip Gyro:
Last but not least is the Slip Gyro, this Gyros tradeoffs are only slim but they are there. The tradeoff here is that the Gyro won't fly out when shot from the ground, instead it will glide across the ground and slip up people, while it keeps going on its marry way, this means that if it hits someone then you will have to run past them to get the Gyro. Also the Gyro does a lot less damage WHEN SENT OUT, but when picked up and thrown, it acts like a regular Gyro. Lastly to note, when the gyro is thrown from the air and hits someone, it will act like a regular Gyro hit but still with the reduced damage, as well as the Gyro quickly dropping down to the floor.

and with that, i am done teaching the Gyro game, i hope you other R.O.B.s find this information useful and that you can implement this into your GYRO GAME, this is Rodaku signing off.

NOTES:
  • if your against someone using the ranged game, your Gyro game is harder to implement because of the fact your Gyro will go away if it hits some projectiles.... SOME
  • Gyros that are thrown downward can instantly be picked up if you spam out your Neutral or Down Airs, use this on someone guarding from a downward assault to instantly punish the opponents punish if possible.
  • Gyros that are left on the ground after thrown out from your Down Special make great defensive tools for if your going in with your Side B and the opponent guards it, just head back behind the gyro and you might have time to recover... MIGHT.
  • Gyros Spin, spinning = winning.
non-gyro notes: (because we can't always be about the gyro)
  • When using your Up B, don't hold it, instead continually mash the B button or up, this way you get DOUBLE THE LIFT for DOUBLE the recovery.
  • Did you know that if you get hit... and you use Back air after getting hit... the thrust from your back air is gone... i didn't know that either till now.
  • Fighting someone who loves to roll? Side-B is your answer cause it catches them while in the roll animation... Neat right?
  • If you read your opponent right, you can hog the ledge from them, then jump and hit them with a back air... if you read them right that is.

Last edited:

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
I noticed something while watching some clash tournaments vids:
If someone rushes you down while you are holding a gyro, you can drop it next to you and shield. When they get next to you, the gyro will likely cause them to flinch, Allowing for ROB to retaliate with a devastating up-smash. This may not work as well if they intend to go in for a grab(Particularly with characters with a grapple), but may cancel the grab under right circumstances.

EDIT: http://smashboards.com/threads/robot-video-archive-portable-jp-edition.368827/#post-17805809
@dettadeus found this. Gyro-cancelling is back in, although it is a one frame input.

Last edited:

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
This thread is incredible and everyone should read it

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
10/10 Thread made me go into Training and play around with Gyro.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Gyro air drops are giving me a good time on FG 1v1 with the combo's , field control and gimping games that they offer. On FG 1v1 people fear the Gyro and that makes it a great tool too get some room for camping, or a surprise approach if the stay close. I just need to make sure to stand behind the Gyro to shield grab any attempts to steal it. Too bad some people steal the Gyro by running to it and then jumping with an air dodge.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
Gyro air drops are giving me a good time on FG 1v1 with the combo's , field control and gimping games that they offer. On FG 1v1 people fear the Gyro and that makes it a great tool too get some room for camping, or a surprise approach if the stay close. I just need to make sure to stand behind the Gyro to shield grab any attempts to steal it. Too bad some people steal the Gyro by running to it and then jumping with an air dodge.
If they do that just punish the **** ton of landing lag they've just given themselves.

Rodaku

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dallas7174
3DS FC
4554-0450-6263
I has updated.. Now explaining the different Gyros

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Let's not forget how much stage control a still gyro can allow. Throw it on the platform above your opponent to discourage an upward retreat, allowing you to get in lasers or use ROB's melee range to your advantage. A gyro to the middle of the stage will remain a constant threat to your opponent if they want to try to take control of the center-stage, or if you are trying to take center-stage yourself. And don't forget to charge your gyro inbetween the opponent's stocks.

Last edited:

GameQ

Smash Cadet
"Here is a key tip throw when you throw the gyro after picking it up.... Depending on the direction you are facing, Thats where the gyro will knock them back"

I think this needs to be highlight more, like in its own bullet point at the end. I didn't really know this (but rather unconsciously knew it), and now that I'm aware of this trait, have been turning my self around for those up and down throw gyros. And Speaking of downward thrown gyros, here's a trick I've been using a lot, calling it "Gyro Countering".

Gyro Countering:
Input: Jump, throw gyro downward, aerial

Much like a normal counter move, you want to time the jump and down thrown gyro right as someone is coming in for a attack. This also works if they are rolling toward your current position. The gyro will pop the opponent up into the air, to be hit by the aerial attack.

Since I now know the opponent will pop up and to the direction I am facing I know to angle the jump properly to hit with b-air or f-air more reliably, but n-air is usually the safest. Also u-air can connect but only at higher percents.

Rodaku

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dallas7174
3DS FC
4554-0450-6263
I have come, i have updated, and i have bolded an important part that someone told me to bold.

Anyways its time to give you a few notes about Non gyro stuff, because without a good robot, there is no good gyro.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
One thing I've noticed is that if you keep using the gyro, your opponent will REALLY want to get their hands on it. That's where the Gyro Bait comes in.

-Spit out your gyro between yourself and the enemy, and move to about the 1 R.O.B. width away.
-If your opponent moves forward to pick up the gyro, side+B. If you do it early, you can catch them in multi-hit on top of the gyro which will deal extra damage.
-If they do get the gyro, they'll usually try to throw it at you right away. Use side+b to reflect it back at them. This is a huge mind game because at this point, they probably did this because they're already frustrated with getting hit by the stupid thing, and foiling their attempts to use it against you makes it a lot worse.
-If they try to jump over it, sh -> nair or fair (You might even be able to fair them down into the gyro for an extra hit, but it's very situational).

Top Bottom