• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people."

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashattack

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by Nall:
But I’ll say that guns are still a problem, and it makes killing a lot easier for people not responsible enough or people who like to kill.
I agree with you on this, but I if I replace one of those words with another, it makes just as much sense:

But I’ll say that knives are still a problem, and it makes killing a lot easier for people not responsible enough or people who like to kill.
Or even:

But I’ll say that big rocks are still a problem, and it makes killing a lot easier for people not responsible enough or people who like to kill.
Do you see my point?

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Originally posted by Nall
But I’ll say that Fluffy Pink Poodles are still a problem, and it makes killing a lot easier for people not responsible enough or people who like to kill.
But I’ll say that Alcohol [is] still a problem, and it makes killing a lot easier for people not responsible enough or people who like to kill.
But I’ll say that TV [is] still a problem, and it makes killing a lot easier for people not responsible enough or people who like to kill.
But I’ll say that Death sentences are still a problem, and it makes killing a lot easier for people not responsible enough or people who like to kill.
But I’ll say that Purple Monkey Dish Washers are still a problem, and it makes killing a lot easier for people not responsible enough or people who like to kill.
I like this game....

I suggest that one and all who wish to be even somewhat effective read through the entire debate...

Hmm... Maybe I'll go through sometime and post the highlights to make it easier on everyone...

BeeboW

Smash Journeyman
But all those things that you substituted in place of guns were not designed to kill. A car was not designed to kill, it is a mode of transport (like duh). But this is different from guns. They were deisgned to kill. Their reputation as a killing weapon is worldwide and this influences people to buy them if they happened to be feeling like killing some people.^^ They are circulated by the millions in the blackmarket and the ignorant promotion of them by the companies that make these guns do not help the problem.

smashattack

Smash Journeyman
I see what you're saying about guns being designed to kill, but they can serve other purposes as well. Have a lock you can't get past and you left your birthright lock-picking set at home? Fear not if you have a simple handgun! Blow the lock off!

But what the object was designed for does not matter. What does matter is how many deaths are caused by that object. If I trip on a vine on a sidewalk, bump my head, and get a concussion, should I sue the manufacturers of the vine and demand that all vines be banned to prevent further injuries to innocent people?

You're right about the black market as well, but I will quote one of my favorite phrases:

Outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns.
The black market will still exist no matter what. The only way to counter the outlaws is to fight fire with fire--or, in this case, defend yourself against a gun with a gun.

BeeboW

Smash Journeyman
I totally agree with what your saying, but i wasn't sure if we were talking about practicalities here. Because i agree that it would be totally impractical to ban all guns. I was purely arguing on hypotheticals in that if we could ban guns, should we?
Because if we were actually talking about banning guns being practical or not, this topic would not have much to talk about.

smashattack

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by BeeboW
I totally agree with what your saying, but i wasn't sure if we were talking about practicalities here. Because i agree that it would be totally impractical to ban all guns. I was purely arguing on hypotheticals in that if we could ban guns, should we?
Because if we were actually talking about banning guns being practical or not, this topic would not have much to talk about.
Oh, I see. In answer to your question, I don't think that even if we could ban guns that we should. It would solve nothing, because, as I said earlier, only outlaws will have guns. The lawful citizen will be at risk.

I'm not too sure what this debate really is about... I think Massy started it just to have his/her say about why handguns are "bad". I joined in to give in some facts that state guns are no less bad than your common bathtub!

thebigxer

Smash Journeyman
if u wanna hurt someone and dont have access to a gun there are other ways of killing a person with out using a gun. guns just make it easier. i doubt it will decrease violence and death. although in some cases like columbine, i wonder what those kids would have done with out guns they probably would have been playing pokemon or something.

Anyways i always like to say "Any punk can shoot some one from across the room, but it takes a real man to go up there and stab thme."

Nall

Smash Cadet
Smash attack: Good point, it is easier to kill with big rocks and knives. But what if two people, one with a knife, and a big rock, were out to kill another person with a gun just as the person with the gun is out to kill the two people. And lets say they're at a somewhat further distance away from each other. Who's going to win?

Massy

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm not too sure what this debate really is about... I think Massy started it just to have his/her say about why handguns are "bad". I joined in to give in some facts that state guns are no less bad than your common bathtub!
Obviously it would have been too much of an effort to read it. Someone put this thread out of its misery already.

smashattack

Smash Journeyman
But what if two people, one with a knife, and a big rock, were out to kill another person with a gun just as the person with the gun is out to kill the two people. And lets say they're at a somewhat further distance away from each other. Who's going to win?
Let's step back for a moment. Guns have been banned, and as I said, only outlaws have guns. This situation is perfectly normal in the conditions of guns being banned.

The two persons with the knife and the big rock are the good, law-abiding citizens who have given up their guns. The one with the gun is the outlaw who doesn't follow the rules and has kept his gun.

The outlaw wins because he, by his conscience, is not subject to the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom