• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GUIs

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
What is it that you are trying to do?

What is it that you are trying to do?
A lot of different things for one concept.

Basically, I have an apache server running on an ubuntu-like OS. However, I have a dynamic IP address from my provider and I am behind a router. I got a free DNS and attached my IP address to a subdomain. However, if the address changes I have to go update the subdomain.

Well, I wanted to automate that process. Therefore, I am creating an application to run in the background of my server to periodically check if the IP address changed. If it has I am going to have this log-in to the free DNS site and update the IP address. To avoid hardcoding the username and password into the application I have created a pop-up to prompt for username, password, and IP address. This way the data is stored during run time, but not else where.

The annoying issue has been dealing with python's Tkinter class in 2.7.10. Much later I have my custom GUI up and the ability to check the IP address I gave it against an external service. The most troublesome issues was trying to pass parameters to a custom function/method that was being bound to the act of pressing a button on the GUI. Had to use some weird lambda work around. Then, how to destroy the main GUI after I was doing using it and continue with the program was another annoyance.

Anyway, I have a healthy disrespect for trying to set-up GUIs.

Top Bottom