• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide to the Flashy Yoshi

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
A moveset to play as flashy as possible with our cute little friend Yoshi, by Mind Trick.

Take note a lot of these are most of the time inferior to non flashy alternatives in terms of effectiveness, but it's definitely both more fun to do and more fun to watch for other people. :) Everything listed here have at least once been succesfully performed in a match against a human opponent (be it friendly or tourney).

Divided them in a couple of subcategories, with the amount of yoshi's stating the move's difficulty level (1 being easy, 5 being very hard).

General showing off/Taunting/Movement/Shield stuff

Sprinkler :yoshi:
Engage and immediately release shield. Not much to it, very basic.

Platform Wavelanding :yoshi::yoshi:
Because of yoshi's good wd and unique double jump (not to mention ability to turn around), you can make this look pretty ****ing fast, fastfalling for even more speed. Alternatively, stay on one edge of a platform and continually waveland off it to break your opponent's concentration by all the moaning your yoshi is doing.

Double Jump Landing :yoshi::yoshi:
Done by jumping and immediately double jumping to have your yoshi make a weird move on the ground. Not that flashy, but looks kinda cute when combined with crouching and turning it around.

Double Jump Wavelanding :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
Jump, double jump, waveland in quick succesion. Not too much difference from a normal wavedash, except for the added (small)risk factor, the dj noise and the ability to turn around midair. Can be used as an edgehog as well if your facing away from the centre of the stage.

Light Shield Platform Punish :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
Light shield on a platform, you can make your light shield last pretty long, get hit and slide off, immediately follow up with either a (R)DJC Nair/Fair or a DJC Upair, depending on if they were on or under the platform.

Light Shield Approach :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
Get hit on the back of your light shield and you will slide forward, simple as that. Pretty hilarious in teams if you can coordinate it with your teammate, have him use a strong attack and yoshi has his own superwavedash. In 1v1 use is pretty limited apart from samus her smash missiles (Falco's lasers are somewhat similiar but not practical at all to use here, and very limited distance covered). Crouch underneath the missiles, and when they get over your head, engage light shield.

Crouch Powershield -> Wavedash :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
One of the more positive things about yoshi's shield, execution and timing is tricky though against say falco's lasers, but if you reflect it succesfully pretty much any followup can be used (although dependant on your distance from him) because of the laser stun. It can really take the rhytm out of falco's SHL game.

Supershield -> DJC aerial:yoshi::yoshi::yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
If you can do this on command, then kudo's to you, you are now invincible :D

Edge Play

Eggslide :yoshi:
Dash -> Egg toss. Basic way of getting the edge.

DJC Eggtoss -> edge hog :yoshi::yoshi:
Jump, double jump and immediately egg toss to keep downward momentum. While in this animation you can grab the edge with your back to it. Looks pretty nice as well with a turn around in it, after you use the jump option of getting back on the edge.

Moon walk -> short hop dair :yoshi::yoshi:
Good for gimping mostly horizontal recoveries, drags them down nicely.

Edge Egg roll :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
Let go of the edge and immediately egg roll

Moonwalk -> (optional jump) ground pound edge hog :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
Alternate slower edgegrab than most alternatives, but comes with a bit of added protection and good offensive power. Timing is crucial here when going for an edge hog, if your too late and opponent goes for the edge, youll jump into your doom.

Edge Cancelled Eggs :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
Hang on the edge, let go, double jump, egg throw, regrab edge. A risky move, but one of the best assets of yoshi. Don't be afraid to spam it if your opponent isn't expecting it/is in no position to punish it. Watch out for simple jabs, general quick moves, moves that hit below the edge and projectiles that dont have a linear path.

Dtilt/Dsmash -> turnaround egg lay :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
Pretty fun thing to do, can be followed up most of the time with a dair drag after you get back to the edge. Some opponents might still mash after they break out, potentially doing a move that wont let them make it back.

Yoshi Dropzone :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
Run off the edge to fair for the meteor. With good timing you can make it back with either downb or airdodge. At least as amazing as Captain Falcon's dropzone, probably even more so. Surprisingly, have had a pretty high succesrate with this one. Can be performed off a platform as well, and has a greater timeframe in which you can perform it and still make it back.

Reverse Edge Cancelled Eggs :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
Edge cancelled eggs, but with an added turn around when you double jump. Very hard to do consistently. Lets you cover more of the offstage and less onstage.

Edgehog -> let go turnaround egglay (yoshicide) :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
Pretty hard to pull off, but amazing if you do, Battlefield is the best stage to do this.

Reverse dropzone :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
Most of you know about walk off edge grab right? If you don't, it's done by simply turning around at the right moment as you walk off the edge to grab the ledge. Now in the time between walking off and grabbing it, perform a fair. Pretty ****ing amazing if you can pull this one off and even more so if you make it back as well (although of course, for this one, the sheer awesomeness allows a yoshicide).

Eggslide/DJC Egg/RECE to edgehog -> RDJC Fair (yoshicide) :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
**** me, this is hard, positioning of your opponent is very strict as well. I've only been able to pull this off in 1 match as of yet.

Combo Stuff & Other

(Moonwalk for bonus points) Short hop bair -> DJC upair (-> juggle) :yoshi:
Basic move that handles the bigger targets like bowser, dk and ganon extremely well.

Double Jump Wavelanding -> dtilt/ftilt/fsmash :yoshi::yoshi:
Can be quite unpredictable if you use the turnaround of the double jump, dtilt is usually the best follow up because of shieldstabbing, good speed and range, not to mention the set knockback is really usefull for early % gimps.

Pivot ftilt/fsmash :yoshi::yoshi:
Ftilt to start a juggle, fsmash mostly for finishing/getting them offstage. Fsmash variant is extra amazing because of the added pullback of your own hitbox.

Moonwalk -> shorthop bair :yoshi::yoshi:
Moonwalk to get a little bit of extra horizontal momentum.

Platform Wavelanding -> RDJC Fair :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
Covers a great distance and is a great set up move for a combo. If you're opponent is not too familiar with Yoshi's great aerial mobility this can come as quite a surprise.

Yoshi's Semi-Pillar :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
DJC Nair -> Jab -> Repeat. If your opponent is not too great in handling shield pressure this can result in a shield break as well. Best when done on the back of someone's shield (dash past RDJC Nair for bonus points). On low % DJC Nair -> Jab -> Grab is a great setup.

Pivot alternative DJC Bair :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
Dash away, DJC Bair back in (execution can be tricky at first) and follow up with ftilt/fsmash/djc upair/rdjc nair/upsmash.

Floatie Juggle :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
As the %'s on floaties go up, djc upair usually doesnt work anymore very fast or gets interrupted by a high priority dair. Instead, after doing right amount of upair, full jump turn around egg lay, hit them while they are in the egg with an aerial of choise (very dependant on their di), then try to lay them again in an egg or camp beneath them for the upsmash/fsmash kill.

Signature Yoshi Combo:
Set up move (fair/ftilt/uptilt/bair/upair) -> juggle(uptilt/upsmash/djc upair/ftilt) -> full jump fair -> dsmash
:yoshi::yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
A lot of variations on this one, mostly depending on what fallspeed class you are facing. In theory this looks like you can't pull the whole combo off all too often, but it seems to have a decent succes rate. The setup and juggle can pretty much not be escaped if you have the %'s right on your opponent's char and you make no tech mistakes. The fair will work a lot as well, if you do it after the right amount of juggling. The dsmash can of course be teched, in place and behind yoshi can still result in a dsmash hit though.

Jab Reset Combo :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
For fastfallers, you usually cant keep up with their fallspeed with DJC upairs when they are low %, but most of the time the tech is pretty hard if you keep them guessing by switching it up with DJC nairs as well. Jab them and immediately grab em to downthrow to continue the juggling.

Dair platform techchasing (-> platform cancel -> djc upair) :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
Get an opponent down on a platform by for example an upair or fair, get under the platform, then predict their tech, follow it with a dair to rack up damage, and be extra amazing if you platform cancel it into a DJC upair.

Stage Specific

Corneria Topfin grab :yoshi::yoshi:
On Corneria, when you stand at the right place on the back of the ship and perform a ground pound, you can instantly grab the topfin ledge. Be sure to release down asap or you won't grab it. One of the few places to do 'safe' (R)ECE as well.

Yoshi's Story Groundpound Edge Cancel :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
Groundpound to grab the edge, but this time move slightly forward than where you usually would downb. If you did it right you'll grab the ledge, but the damaging stars will appear on stage as well.

Mute City (Onett) Light Shield Car Approach :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
Use light shield when the cars appear and let them slide you to your opponent. A bit easier to put to actual use (although still very limited) on Onett, but that stage is usually banned for good reason.

Jungle Japes ECE Edge Switching :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
Jungle Japes has funky edges. With good timing of your double jump and egg toss, you can make it underneath the stage and grab another edge. You can even let the river take you from the right side to the left side and perform an ECE, although of course it's a bit suicidal with klaptraps flying around, but hey, yoshi is pretty suicidal as it is right? ^^

I'll probably add more as I think of it ^_^

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: MIND TRICKKKKKKKKKKKK

You still play? GG @ this guide! SUPERSHIELD TO DJC NEUTRAL AIR IS YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
Still repping yoshi to the fullest :)
A quick break for brawl, but then realised it sucked so bad, so back to meleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee xD
Ive actually been going solo yoshi much more in tournaments lately, it's better than its ever been, even taking some games from the top players around here :dizzy: (and ****** germany's :chuckle:)

really need to get some footage though...

rustedfencepost

Smash Apprentice
thanks man, i got a tourny on the 4th and ZHU (dude who got wombo combo'd) is guna be there so i need to look extra rage and here is a thumbs up for a job well done
........and a monkey :monkey:

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
Updated a bit with stuff I forgot including the dropzone (how dare I), stage specific tricks, light shield stuff.
@rustedfencepost
... All I can say here is good luck, you're gonna need it xD
although if you can get in a jab reset combo on him, you'll be my hero forever <3

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Jungle Japes ECE Edge Switching :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
lol I do this when I want to be as cool as forward!

Mmm I'll make some contributions also! After learning that you can smash out of shine easier but rolling the control stick from the down position all the way to the up position. My friends described it as 'hadouken' because of the rolling motion (just like 'hadouken di').

So I call this Hadouken Eggs (platform drop djc egg toss)!
While on platforms if you do the same motion (roll the control stick from down to up) and throw an egg, you drop through the platform and you will move whichever direction you rolled the control stick up.

Uses:
  • Basic spacing can always be applied, plus I hate being caught standing in place after throwing eggs (lag lag lag)!
  • On many stages of the stages with platforms near the edge like Battlefield, Yoshi's Story or Dreamland you can drop through the platform, throw an egg, and grab the ledge. Great thing is of course it doesn't matter which way you are facing because you can grab the ledge from behind during the animation frames after throwing the egg. This makes it useful for edge guarding, or for playing a little bit defensively.

Enjoy!

rustedfencepost

Smash Apprentice
@rustedfencepost
... All I can say here is good luck, you're gonna need it xD
although if you can get in a jab reset combo on him, you'll be my hero forever <3
dont think it will be that hard to land at least 1 because i have # 10 in BC to practice with when ever i want + his brother. if i can get some videos i'll try to put up the ones of me doing these things............. and here's another monkey :monkey:

rustedfencepost

Smash Apprentice
DOUBLE POST
here are two suggestions that arnt that good or hard but what ever
DJC turn around wavedash, (moonwalk bonus), edgehog :yoshi:
pretty strait forward. do 2 jumps (switching direction in between if desired) and air dodge in approprate direction. not very practical but you could also do a moon walk if you want to look fancy

ledge hop, waveland back (no yoshi's)
ledge hop and hold forward, when you reach ledge wave land back.if done properly i think its faster then down-b or egg from ledge hop

rustedfencepost

Smash Apprentice
ZOMGWTFBBQ i havnt been on smashboards for a while. because i have little life ill go ahead and try, unless ny friend goes and be's a........ well someone will probobly censor whatever i say so you can use your imagination.......and dosnt let me use his capture card but if he does than i could probobly gett most of these

holywhack

Smash Apprentice
how do I do fast continuous reverse ledge eggs? Those are hard for me. I can't seem to make them the same speed as regular ledge eggs.

LittleFumi

Smash Journeyman
dont think it will be that hard to land at least 1 because i have # 10 in BC to practice with when ever i want + his brother. if i can get some videos i'll try to put up the ones of me doing these things............. and here's another monkey :monkey:
zhus alot better than the guy ur talking about though. but u can still land it on him. i have played zhu in tournament b4 and i have been able to land it.

Winnar

Smash Lord
I just recently got back into melee, and even more recently remembered how much fun Yoshi is.

Amazing thread :D

Velox

Smash Ace
heh, yeah, Yoshi is actually one of the most flashy characters in the game with sort of attracts me to him. One thing that you said that was largely ignored back in the day is how crazy Yoshi's waveland game is on stages like Yoshi's Story where you can literally get going so fast that it looks like you just fly around the stage magnetized to the platforms and you can like never touch the ground for entire stocks. It's pretty crazy, transforms Yoshi into a very mobile fast, strange flashy looking character.

heh, I always thought for a drop zone you had to combo into it :D

Winnar

Smash Lord
Reverse dropzone :yoshi::yoshi::yoshi::yoshi::yoshi:
Most of you know about walk off edge grab right? If you don't, it's done by simply turning around at the right moment as you walk off the edge to grab the ledge. Now in the time between walking off and grabbing it, perform a fair. Pretty ****ing amazing if you can pull this one off and even more so if you make it back as well (although of course, for this one, the sheer awesomeness allows a yoshicide).
I totally did this. It was the greatest moment of my life.

:yoshi:

Winnar

Smash Lord
Yeah Fox was offstage and then I was like "...I know what to do."

And then I did it. There were loud noises afterwards, mostly from me.

<3 you for telling me about it

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Huh, looks like more technical stuff has been perfected since I've been here. Good job on the listing - definitely some stuff there I need to try out. ^_^

Top Bottom