• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Guide] How to convert Project M Homebrew version to Hackless, and Hackless to Homebrew

person66

Smash Cadet
Hey all, I posted this on reddit a while back, but I thought I'd post it here too. I made this quick little tutorial to help anyone out who wants to convert their hackless P:M install into a homebrew one, or vice versa, instead of having to redownload all the files and whatnot. Hope it helps someone out!

Homebrew -> Hackless
So I am going to assume you have extracted the homebrew zip to your SD card, so you should have the following files/folders on the root of the SD:
apps/
codes/
projectm/
gameconfig.txt
The first step is to download the SmashStack exploit from here: http://www.wiibrew.org/w/images/4/4e/Smashstack.zip

Inside that zip should be a folder called "private". Add that folder to the root of your SD. Next go into the "apps" folder, and from there into the "projectm" folder (could possibly be named something else, all that matters is that this is the folder containing the project m launcher). Inside that should be some files. The one you want is "boot.elf". Move that file to the root of your sd card. Once that is done, you can delete the apps folder, as you don't need it anymore.

So now the root of your sd card should look like this:
codes/
private/
projectm/
boot.elf
gameconfig.txt
You are now done, project m should launch when you do the stage builder exploit in brawl.

If you want to use a different exploit, such as letterbomb then just download whatever exploit and put the folders on your sd card. Don't touch the boot.elf, though, as that is the file all exploits try to launch, so we want to keep it as the project m launcher.

Hackless -> Homebrew
Again, I am assuming you have extracted the hackless zip to your SD card, so you should have the following files/folders on the root of the SD:
codes/
private/
projectm/
boot.elf
gameconfig.txt
So the first step is to create a new folder on the root of the SD card called "apps", and within that, create a folder called "projectm". Now move the boot.elf from the root of your sd card into /apps/projectm/. If you want a picture and description to show up on the homebrew channel, rather than just a blank tile with the name, then also download this zip and extract it into that folder as well.

So, now the root of your sd card should look like this:
apps/
codes/
private/
projectm/
gameconfig.txt
and inside apps should be a folder called "projectm". Inside that should be the boot.elf, and optionally the two files from the zip.

That is it, project m should now show up on the homebrew channel. You can also delete the private folder if you want, it just contains the stage builder exploit, which you won't need since you're launching from the homebrew channel.

Top Bottom