• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guerrilla Luigi's Guide to Platforms

ELStalky

Smash Apprentice
I have been exploring Luigi for a while now and what i found recently never stood out to me in matches that i have seen, i surely have not seen that many and maybe i am not attentive enough to notice, or people just do not use it because they don't know about it or they don't think it's worth the trouble.

What i am referring to is the fitting in of another action when doing a dropping aerial from platforms. In some scenarios the window is prohibitively small but in others (think about how high Dreamland's lower platforms are), it is quite easy.

Possible sequences include:
Walk/slide off platform
-> Aerial
-> Air-dodge
-> Wave-land to safety
-> Re-jump
-> Fall through platform instead of landing (completed aerials only)
-> N-Air (for large windows)​

I started to accumulate some data on how much time there is for all the drops and what hence can be done. The letters refer to the aerial made.

Battlefield
Upper Platform to Lower Platforms
Lower Platforms to Ground
Air-time:
30-31 Frames​
Auto-cancels:
U, D, F​
Complete:
B: 2-3 Frames
Interruptible:
D: 2-3 Frames
U: 1-2 Frames

Dream Land
Air-time:
27-28 Frames​
Auto-cancels:
U, D, F, B​
Air-time:
33 Frames (predominantly)​
Auto-cancels:
F​
Complete:
U: 0 Frames
D: 1 Frame (enough for an air-dodge when input upon completion leading into that frame)
B: 5 Frames
Interruptible:
U: 4 Frames
D: 5 Frames
F: 1 Frame

Yoshi's Story
Air-time:
26 Frames (predominantly)​
Auto-cancels:
U: 11 Frames
D: 3 Frames
F: 7 Frames
B: 8 Frames
Air-time:
29 Frames​
Auto-cancels:
U, D, F​
Complete:
B: 1 Frame
Interruptible:
D: 1 Frame

Pokémon Stadium
Platforms to Ground
Air-time:
30 (predominantly)​
Auto-cancels:
U, D, F​
Complete:
B: 2 Frames
Interruptible:
D: 2 Frames
U: 1 Frame
Water
Lower Platform to Pond
Air-time:
30 (predominantly)​
Auto-cancels:
U, D, F​
Complete:
B: 2 Frames
Interruptible:
U: 1 Frame
Upper Platform to Lower Platform
Air-time:
24 (predominantly)​
Auto-cancels:
U: 9 Frames
F: 5 Frames
B: 6 Frames
Fire
Shelter to Stage Frame
Air-time:
26-27 Frames​
Auto-cancels:
U: 11-12 Frames
D: 3-4 Frames
F: 7-8 Frames
B: 8-9 Frames
Shelter to High Ground (Right Side, Straight Down)
Air-time
24-25 Frames (24: 4x, 25: 6x)​
Auto-cancels:
U: 9-10 Frames
D: 1-2 Frame/s
F: 5-6 Frames
B: 6-7 Frames
Shelter to Low Ground (Left Side, Hole)
Air-time
28-29 Frames (predominantly)​
Auto-cancels:
U: 13-14 Frames
D: 5-6 Frames
F: 9-10 Frames
Complete:
B: 0-1 Frame/s
Interruptible:
D: 0-1 Frame/s
Tree Platform to Stage Frame
Air-time
32-33 Frames (predominantly)​
Auto-cancels:
F​
Complete:
D: 0-1 Frame/s
B: 4-5 Frames
Interruptible:
U: 3-4 Frames
D: 4-5 Frames
F: 0-1 Frame/s
Rock
Right Middle Platform to Ground
Air-time:
26-27 Frames (predominantly)​
Auto-cancels:
U: 11-12 Frames
D: 3-4 Frames
F: 7-8 Frames
B: 8-9 Frames
Right Upper Platform to Left Lower Platform
Air-time:
21 Frames (predominantly)​
Auto-cancels:
U: 6 Frames
F: 2 Frames
B: 3 Frames
Left Upper Platform to Right Middle Platform
Air-time:
25 Frames​
Auto-cancels:
U: 10 Frames
F: 6 Frames
B: 7 Frames
Grass
Upper Platform to Lower Platform
Air-time:
24 Frames (predominantly)​
Auto-cancels:
U: 9 Frames
F: 5 Frames
B: 6 Frames
Lower Platform to Grass on the Left
Air-time:
25-26 Frames (25: 3x, 26: 7x)​
Auto-cancels:
U: 10-11 Frames
D: 2-3 Frames
F: 6-7 Frames
B: 7-8 Frames
Lower Platform to Grass on the Right
Air-time:
24-25 Frames (24: 7x, 25: 3x)​
Auto-cancels:
U: 9-10 Frames
D: 1-2 Frames
F: 5-6 Frames
B: 6-7 Frames
Lower Platform to Grass Below
Air-time:
27-28 Frames (27: 5x, 28: 5x)​
Auto-cancels:
U: 12-13 Frames
D: 4-5 Frames
F: 8-9 Frames
B: 9-10 Frames
Complete:
B: ? Frames (While my small measure samples yielded nothing above 28 i was still able to wave-land after a back-air and jump after a down-air, so maybe an input can be made one frame earlier than i thought or sometimes the air-time is longer.)​
Interruptible:
D: ? Frames (See above)​
Tree to Grass Below
Air-time:
<16 Frames => Not enough for anything (If you drop through you get more air-time and can auto-cancel stuff)​
Tree to Grass Below the Lower Platform
Air-time:
17-18 Frames (predominantly)​
Auto-cancels:
U: 2-3 Frames

Fountain of Dreams

[A lot of configurations with subtle differences, hard to describe and discern in-game. I recommend doing some trial and error yourself.]​

On interruptibility:
You cannot interrupt aerials with an air-dodge, you can however jump and start an air dodge on the next frame. This will minimally move Luigi up before the air-dodge resulting in an almost perfect wave-land when done just above the ground, this can be started on the last frame in the interruptibility window without landing.​

On air-times:
This is measured from when Luigi is in the falling animation (inclusive) until you see the landing splash (exclusive).
Aerials can start on frame 1, last air-dodge can be made between the (n-1)-th and n-th frame, presumable because of its start-up.
Frame count can differ because the character probably leaves the platform at a much more precise time than what is rendered, inputs however are evaluated at discreet times are as far as i know though. How Luigi leaves the edge (running, sliding, walking) may also matter...​

Frame window calculations are based on SuperDoodleMan's frame data, i confirmed some results via testing.

A short demo:

(The re-jump wave-lands that i do appear to be imperfect by one frame, i.e. the R button was pressed two frames after the jump instead of one.)

Has anyone used this? Do you people think this could be useful?

Last edited:

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Dude this stuff is next level. I'm going to need to implement a lot of it into my game. Thank you for going to all the trouble of putting it together. Hopefully someone else will stop by and check this out, as its definitely worthwhile.

ELStalky

Smash Apprentice
Damn, someone commented, maybe i need to finish the data accumulation after all...

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Lol. Sorry to revive such a dead thread. I've been playing a lot of Luigi lately, and I noticed your info. It's really good, but I'm not particularly beholden to you finishing it.

Last edited:

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
i knew this stuff already, even though i do think its important to put it here. nice thread !!!

Zelbertoad

Smash Cadet
Thanks for making this! I found it very useful and convenient. I look forward to the Fountain of Death addition. haha

ELStalky

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for making this! I found it very useful and convenient. I look forward to the Fountain of Death addition. haha
Sorry, i'll be scrapping FoD. I just looked at it and there are a lot of configurations with subtle differences, so it is hard to describe which drops i mean and it may even be hard to tell which configuration the stage is in as well.

Zelbertoad

Smash Cadet
Sorry, i'll be scrapping FoD. I just looked at it and there are a lot of configurations with subtle differences, so it is hard to describe which drops i mean and it may even be hard to tell which configuration the stage is in as well.
It's alright. I already have an idea of what will work on FoD for different platform height changes.

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
Is that with a smash missile or a tilt? I like to implement edge cancel missiles into my movement very occasionally but I have trouble landing them consistently (from wavedash/step off platform) on any stage but YS. It's usually too risky to bother though.

Last edited:

Zelbertoad

Smash Cadet
Care to discuss it? Does anybody know if FoD platforms are at the same height as any others at any points?
The top platform and one side platform(at its highest height) are similar to the heights of the top platform and side platform on YS or BF.

One thing about FoD is to look at which side platform is rising or falling. If one rises the other falls and vice versa.

It might help to pressure opponents to the side platform that has the shorter height to get combos off that platform. Also grab and u throw your opponent if they are away from the short platform and your opponent might DI towards where the short platform is to get away from the ledge.

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the tip. I really like FoD, if only its ceiling weren't so high it would be a great Luigi stage -- especially because everyone else seems to hate it! Luckily that ceiling also works against Fox though.

From a lowered platform you can shield pressure with drop cancelled nairs and bait people with the foot hitbox of the aerial tornado that they don't know about.

Top Bottom