• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ground or Air?

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
Back in melee, I played Ganondorf and Falco, who are both very areal characters IMO. So naturally, thats became my style of play with all characters that I played. But Olimar is a completely different kind of character and Brawl's mechanics make it so that each characters play-style is unique. How good is Olimars' air game compared to his ground game? It's hard for me to tell since everything I know is based off of reading and watching.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to leave the actual comments to those who actually have the game and are already good with Olimar, but I just to pitch in a bit, I'd think the more aerial he is, the more likely he is to be off a ledge. And that's the last thing a P&O player would want. I think sticking to the middle ground as much as possible would be a good idea, but that's just me.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Oceanborn is too good and said what I was going to say, mostly. Olimer's air game isn't bad, don't get me wrong, its certainly functional on all levels of play, but Oli has the most advantage on the ground. He has strong damage, disjointed hitbox, low lag, incredible range, and even if his throws haven't been mastered yet, a grab thats nothing short of incredible. Short hops are not the end of the world, but should be used at range to improve his SideB projectile, or in continuation of combos. Too many people seem to be trying to push SH Aerials to approach and end up not being able to approach well. So use Oli's strengths to his advantage, but be thankful his aerials are not a weakness in any way.

-True

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
Okay, cool. I'm seeing where everyones coming from. Now this brings me to some sorta noobish questions, like "Does being in the air increase knockback by that much?" If the answer to that is NO, then it doesn't really matter weather I'm on the ground or not because crouch canceling has been removed. I see the advantages of being an aerial Olimar because they have good knock back, are quick, and they don't put the Pikmin into harms way. Then again, being on the ground allows for grabs, smashes, and plucking... As for being center-stage: I see the logic in this as "I'm as far away as ledges as possible." But you also have to think of it as "I've reduced the distance between me and my opponent by at least half." Now, what is more dangerous, the opponent, or the ledge?

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
The ledge is more dangerous for Olimer because of his range. Flat out Olimer is a bully. If your hiding from him, he throws vegetables at you until your sick, and when you try to get close to him hes able to hit you or pick you up from further away than you could hit him from. Knockback will be the same if your in the air or not, except with being in the air opponents know you must be falling down, and set up attacks knowing you are mostly unable to change direction. So far to the best of knowledge of everyone here pikmin evolution does not help Olimer in any obvious way, so keeping them safe is not something to be concerned about so long as your seeing the open opportunities to pluck new ones. Anyway the thing to take from all this is:

Olimer is the Lunchroom Bully with long arms... He'll get your lunch money one way or another.

-True

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
just have to come up with my own playing style in a couple weeks.
Quoted for truth, all we know now are the scratches on the surface guys like echo and textbook were able to make in a couple weeks. Its all the fun of a new game, seeing where we end up in 6 months and how wrong we were at first.

-True

Textbook Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Air game and ground game are both amazing. Sadly olis arials dont have much priority, and usually parry animations just happen in mid air if your opponent attacks back. Really though, a good mix of both makes an awesome oli. far reaching f-smash, low percentage kills with u-smash, and a quick high knockback d-smash, as well as decent quick tilts that dont require pikmin. Airial is just as good as you will find most of your kills come from f-airs and d-air spikes.

Fautor Animus

Smash Cadet
In the Air or Ground, the mind games are where it's at. His moves are really versatile, and and he can easily shift from ground to air.

Top Bottom