• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja's popularity

Shog

Smash Ace
Greninja is extremly, extremly popular with Pokemon fans(like me) I didn't spoil Gen 6 for me so than my brother got his Frog evolved I was dumbfounded how awesome it was! It is fast, has a crazy ability...it is an awesome choice for Smash.(Although all Gen 6 starters are godly)

Only Braixen looks feminine to me btw.

Spirst

Yeah, that I knew. GameFreak is trying to push Greninja into being a representation of gen 6 as Lucario was a representation of gen 4, it seems. He's been included in Smash, has a cool design, and has a competitive battling prowess with protean.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
Yeah, that I knew. GameFreak is trying to push Greninja into being a representation of gen 6 as Lucario was a representation of gen 4, it seems. He's been included in Smash, has a cool design, and has a competitive battling prowess with protean.
I just put it up there because I'm seeing a lot of misconception (still) over Greninja's inclusion.

Last edited:

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
tbh I think I would have prefered Zoroark to be playable over Greninja, but I'm still stoked that a newer pokemon got it, and one that fits into smash so well at that. Greninja was the first character I played, and I still love him. He does deserve a bit more hype imo

Frozn~

Smash Apprentice
tbh I think I would have prefered Zoroark to be playable over Greninja, but I'm still stoked that a newer pokemon got it, and one that fits into smash so well at that. Greninja was the first character I played, and I still love him. He does deserve a bit more hype imo
I wouldn't have minded if they were both in the game :grin:
Zoroark would have a very different niche in Smash than Greninja, plus I'd be curious to see Sakurai try to incorporate his Illusion ability.

I love Greninja in smash. He's one of the most versatile characters on the roster, with a good projectile and a large bag of tricks.

peterisyum

Smash Rookie
NNID
peterisyum
3DS FC
4682-8478-7711
I think hes a fantastic character, I love it when the characters movesets really fit with the characters design ( lots of sneaky move and water based attacks, with good speed thrown in there), I think its true that being an older reveal and the newest(by release date of character in their own franchises) have made him less hyped though.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Really? I always got the feeling he was a pretty hype, since he's like the character I see in FG the most if it's not Little Mac imo. But that just might be his viability speaking, since most of the ones I faced are pretty good, and can use him rather well. Don't really know for sure with everyone else.

Spirst

Really? I always got the feeling he was a pretty hype, since he's like the character I see in FG the most if it's not Little Mac imo. But that just might be his viability speaking, since most of the ones I faced are pretty good, and can use him rather well. Don't really know for sure with everyone else.
I still find this so strange considering I've played over 300 FG matches and have seldom come across Greninjas and when I do, they're rarely that competent in the first place.

Poketroopa

Smash Rookie
Sometimes I feel that Greninja being Pokemon's new gen representative for smash led to the other 2 Kalos starters being somewhat lackluster (I think so anyway). Unsure of how much hype he would make, they needed to make him stand out more than the other starters, so they gave him a far cooler design and actually made him a very competitive pokemon. Though he's really popular now, I fear that he wont return in future installments unless he's extremely well received in the long run. So far he looks like a very solid character, so if enough people play him, I feel he might make a return.

Spirst

If Greninja doesn't make a return, I will slit my wrists. That'll be yet another character that I liked getting cut.

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes I feel that Greninja being Pokemon's new gen representative for smash led to the other 2 Kalos starters being somewhat lackluster (I think so anyway). Unsure of how much hype he would make, they needed to make him stand out more than the other starters, so they gave him a far cooler design and actually made him a very competitive pokemon. Though he's really popular now, I fear that he wont return in future installments unless he's extremely well received in the long run. So far he looks like a very solid character, so if enough people play him, I feel he might make a return.
it honestly is upsetting how the other 2 had lackluster designs, as I completely adored the Delphox line until...well, Delphox. It would have been cool if they all could have made it in, but that's is way too many reps, of course. It definitely is sad that they had to single out a starter so much like that. Even if the other two had top notch designs as well, putting one in smash is gonna make that one stand out way more. Charizard is an exception, as he has ALWAYS been super popular.

Frozn~

Smash Apprentice
Ash Ketchum has a Charizard, and Froakie is his first pokemon from the Kalos region. Greninja is definitely a selling point :smirk:

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
When X/Y was leaked, everyone took a look at the starters and saw these dumb fakemons. Turns out that they were in fact not fake and everyone was dissapointed, I mean cmon a tongue scarf, a stupid bowser ripoff, and a fox. When everyone got their hands on the game and people got their ninja frog everything changed. Its stats, its ability, its shiny omg. Its no wonder he got in because of the sudden uproar of greninja lovers. He had to be the most hype pokemon of gen 6 haha.
Greninja isnt as popular mainly due to the "Cry Cry Mewtwo's not in :[" guys who frankly are really starting to annoy me alot more then they should in all honesty.

Top Bottom