• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja's Buffed Down Throw Analysis (inc. true combos)

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
So Greninja's Down Throw, previously one of the saddest Dthrows in the game it has to be said, got a 7 frame reduction on its ending lag in patch 1.10. Its damage was reduced from 6% to 5%, which also reduces its knockback slightly. This allows Dthrow to true combo into certain moves, something it categorically could not do before. I thought I'd share a breakdown of my findings so far.

Some disclaimers:
  • Testing was done in training mode, meaning Greninja had no rage and his attacks had no staling or freshness bonus applied.
  • Staling Dthrow does not affect its follow ups (in fact it makes them work for longer) but rage can make certain follow ups impossible.
  • All tests were done on Mario.
  • A bunch of characters with weird physics/weight probably won't get combo'd at all, such as Bowser and Luigi (basically people who don't get combo'd by Uthrow Uair) but I haven't tested extensively.
With that out of the way, we can move on to the point of this thread: my findings.

First off, Dthrow does not true combo or frame trap anything at high % if the opponent DIs away. Annoying, but it is what it is. You can at least do a DI mixup between Dthrow and Fthrow; if they DI away and you Fthrow, they put themselves in a worse position for recovering and can be edgeguarded more easily.

Now, at low %, I could not find any true combos on Mario. However on fast fallers, there is a small percent window where Dthrow can true combo into jab. This gives you a free ~14% from a throw if you use the rapid jab. Not that useful because Uthrow Uair is generally better but it's there.

However what you can do at low % is go for footstool combos such as this one. From what I can tell these are not true combos; the opponent can double jump away, airdodge, or even just drift away. Greninja's frame advantage is not high enough. The combos are cool though, and could catch someone off guard every now and then.

High % is where things get interesting. After jab stops working on fast fallers, Dthrow does not true combo into anything until the knockback reaches the point where full jump Fair can hit the opponent. Before this, you can do stuff like Dthrow Usmash and Dthrow SH Fair, but nothing is guaranteed and jumps do not get trapped.

Buffered Dthrow from Dashgrab
If Dthrow is buffered from a dashgrab, the point where Mario starts getting hit by full hop Fair is 113%. This number is arbitrary because so many factors in a match will prevent it from ever being relevant, such as rage and staling, but I thought I'd share it anyway. So at 113%, training mode does not register Dthrow > FH Fair as a true combo because Mario still has a couple of frames to jump out. However, due to the startup of double jump and airdodging, Mario gets frame trapped into being hit with the Fair if he tries to jump out. There is nothing he can do about it. So even though training mode doesn't register it as a combo, Mario cannot jump out.

At 133% onwards, Dthrow > FH Fair will register as a true combo. This means Mario cannot jump out. When you reach even higher percents, up to about 155%, you should buffer a dash after the Dthrow before doing FH Fair. You can still frame trap jumps this way, but it's harder. You can actually frame trap jumps this way up until about 159% but you need to be insanely precise to do it, dashing for the perfect number of frames and whatnot. From around 160% onwards you will need perfect timing with a double jump to true combo the opponent with Dthrow Fair since they get launched too high, but it IS possible to true combo them if you so wish. The timing is VERY difficult. However, Uthrow starts to kill from about 160% onwards so you don't need to worry about Dthrow stuff after that.

A word about the training mode combo counter, it only works for jumping. It basically tells you at what point an opponent can't jump out of a string of hits. Greninja's Dthrow > Fair will trap jumps when the combo counter tells you, and for several frames before (due to jump startup), but the opponent can airdodge out of the combo. This makes Dthrow > Fair a 50/50 kill combo. If you read an airdodge, simply delay the Fair by a few frames. I am working on some frame traps for airdodges which allow you to throw out Fair to catch jumps, too, but I don't have much to share yet.

Standing Dthrow
In short, you can never get a true combo to register from standing Dthrow besides low % fastfaller jab stuff. However, by buffering a dash before your FH Fair at high %, you can frame trap jumps in the same way I described before. People still won't be able to jump out of the combo, which I think is really useful.

I hope some of you found this breakdown helpful. I will keep adding to this as I find more Dthrow stuff, feel free to share your findings.

Last edited:

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
I find that d throw can combo into up-angled f-tilt for quite a while (until the 30s-40s on most weights, longer on heavies), and can trip leading to further followups. However, I'm not sure if this is optimal when we can get up throw up air and then force them to land for more potential damage.

My biggest problem with down throw is that we're really gonna have to lab when it is more effective to use it or up throw. Staling our up throw has been a double edged sword for us, because we get up airs longer but the throw doesn't KO for a while. Figuring out how to mix the two up and at what % just adds another layer to a very complex character.

Last edited:

Kace Mono

Smash Cadet
You can up to a fairly high percent buffer a dash and then Fsmash on heavier and fast falling characters. I believe it works until about 60% on mario but i dont know if he can jump out of it

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
D-throw f tilt has been really useful for me in that it racks damage and doesn't stale up throw. It also provides enough hit stun to sometimes get a second grab on heavier/fast-falling characters. I think that is our best option because people can act out of d throw almost immediately at low %.

So at low %: Optimal throw is d-throw into f-tilt. If they trip or are the right weight/fall speed get another grab into another f tilt.

Mid %: Up throw to up air.

High %: Either up throw and try for an air dodge read for up air/shadow sneak, or down throw to try to catch a jump with fair or an air dodge with shadow sneak.

HIGH %: Up throw for KO

A string I got on a DK in friendlies: D throw -> f tilt -> D throw -> f tilt trip -> D throw -> u tilt -> u smash = 50%

Last edited:

Coffee™

I need it....
D-throw f tilt has been really useful for me in that it racks damage and doesn't stale up throw. It also provides enough hit stun to sometimes get a second grab on heavier/fast-falling characters. I think that is our best option because people can act out of d throw almost immediately at low %.

So at low %: Optimal throw is d-throw into f-tilt. If they trip or are the right weight/fall speed get another grab into another f tilt
Dthrow to Ftilt isn't optimal. Dtilt and Jab are better options as they come out faster. Generally Ftilt or Dtilt can be shielded or spot dodged at low percents. Jab is the only one I'm not sure on, but its the fastest option out of Dthrow.

You can also Dthrow to double jab to dtilt to regrab as the double jab puts your opponent slightly off the ground so they can't shield.

Last edited:

Cha0tic313

Smash Rookie
As long as it isn't on a platform stage, footstool is the most optimal. Mastering footstool combos at this point will probably be greninja players golden ticket

Space thing

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of platforms, I recently managed to land Dthrow -> Fair kill even though my opponent air dodged it because he landed right on a platform. With the right spacing, it seems like we might be able to use platforms to help with our follow ups with this. This was on Town and City btw.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
My problem with Greninja's footstool combos is they really aren't viable on stages with static platforms, and only sometimes on Animal Crossing stages. We jump too high to pull off a dair reset.

On FD and Duck Hunt though they are definitely useful. I'll hold criticizing them further until Greninja's meta develops more, but right now they seem good but not essential.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Just picked up greninja last night and am glad I found this thread! Nice to know greninja has the near-frame trap fh fair at high percents

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
Practicing d tilt to jab I sometimes don't connect the first jab. Been practicing on Mario in training

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
You can get way better stuff out of d tilt than jab though. D tilt combos into grab at lowish % which is great for starting a big juggle.

Coffee™

I need it....
Practicing d tilt to jab I sometimes don't connect the first jab. Been practicing on Mario in training
You have to Dash Grab and Dthrow immediately. Greninja should slide slightly while you're inputting Jab.

You can get way better stuff out of d tilt than jab though. D tilt combos into grab at lowish % which is great for starting a big juggle.
Dtilt can be avoided but its a good mixup.

Top Bottom