• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Great Little Mac Secondaries (?)

How many other characters do you play outside of Little Mac?

• Solo Maining Mac till the end!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • About five. Maybe more, maybe less.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
Everyone out there always has a secondary. Well, mostly everyone. And these secondaries usually work well together to combat the other's weaknesses to beat a specific matchup that their main struggles against, or simply are played because they like both characters and not because they actually work well together. Usually, in fact, some players enjoy playing some characters that have almost as bad matchups as each other - Usually that gets them screwed over, but that's not what we are talking about here.

I've scrolled through the list of posts and to my knowledge there actually isn't a page where people go ahead and post what they use as secondaries or what they believe is the best secondary. The best I found was a guy asking about a good secondary for Mac. So, in my stupidity brilliance I decided to make this, and hopefully it works to what I hope it will do: get people to actually pick a secondary so they stop being idiots and fighting their worst MUs with the only character they are good with.

please dont kill me for making this pls ty

:4ryu: Ryu
Now, I actually don't have as much experience with Ryu as I do everyone else, but I must say that, at least the way I can play Ryu, matches well with my Little Mac's: Patiently. Opponents always make very subtle mistakes such as missing an autocancel or doing a hard read and failing, and both Mac and Ryu are great at punishing opponents for the simplest mistakes. Ryu, though, doesn't need to play as patiently, as he isn't dead by two FAirs offstage.

Ryu has several things Mac lacks which makes playing as him easier: An actually usable recovery with two moves to assist in this, a projectile that, while not exactly the best in the world, can put pressure on some opponents, especially Shakunetsu Hadouken, and has an air game. He also doesn't have to work exceptionally hard for the kill, as he can Down Tilt into True Shoryuken for the easy KO at around 80%.

He also happens to have a significantly better matchup against characters such as Mario, Sheik, and Zero Suit than Mac does, and in experience goes pretty much even or barely in Sheik's favor, which is nice considering all three of them are pretty much nightmares for Mac; Mario has all of the gimping tools necessary to destroy Little Mac, Sheik is just Sheik and can FAir and Needle you to death easily, and Zero Suit has a great killing option, a hard to get away from tether grab, great recovery, and the most annoying Neutral B that I can think of.

:4link: Link
Ok, maybe this isn't the GREATEST of chemistry, but I enjoy playing Link and Little Mac together. Link has a very good projectile and keepaway game, whereas Mac pressures opponents into staying away from him in order to avoid getting punished. Link also has his pointy hat and the FG players that spam everything, but that's obviously the best part about him, right?

These two work well by forcing entirely different styles of playing against them. Players that enjoy playing a campy Wii Fit can get caught by Link's barrage of Arrows, Boomerangs, and Bombs, or just get comboed by DThrow into UTilt or USmash. Rushdown Captain Falcons and Roys have issues dealing with Mac's amazing punishing game, with USmash and Rising Uppercut OOS being great options, DTilt and UTilt strings for days, and armor to go through anything that fights them.

The only true issue I have found for both of them is Sheik, as Link gets comboed rather heavily and has a hard time getting out his projectiles against Sheik's amazing rushdown and Needles and Mac is, needless to say, pretty much helpless after one grab and a few FAirs.

:4lucina::4marth: Marcina
This one is more of a preference thing and because I used Marth back in Brawl, before I honestly knew where half the characters in the cast were. He was the one character my brothers could never beat since they just played Pikachu and Sonic, using Thunder and Down Air and Counter was the most glorious of moves out there. Dancing Blade was ultra-spammable since they didn't know how on earth to shield, and getting tipper Forward Smashes was fun as all heck.

Of course, then three-four years later I come back to Smash, realize how much of an idiot I was back then, and get the game very quickly during August and begin playing Marth like I would have otherwise. Then Lucina came along and I started preferring her but playing the two together and enjoyed it. Of course, they weren't as good as they had felt back in Brawl, but that's probably because Sakurai nerfed them again and I wasn't very good to begin with back then and everything was great.

But now that I'm here as a Mac main and not as I had first envisioned myself being a Marcina main, I've come to notice that Mac and Marcina actually compliment each other somewhat. All three play a semi-defensive playstyle, especially Marth due to his tippers, while Lucina more accurately represents Mac. You can go offensive or defensive, but your best actual way of doing things is spacing out your opponent with the tools that you have and punishing literally anything you can. Disjoints are nice as well for fighting a few MUs, especially the Pikachu matchup which I sorely dislike. Maybe its just a nostalgia thing.

And that's it for me. Time to go play Robin and wait for Corrin.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
my other secondary/main is :4cloud:. cloud covers macs bad matchups very well, i even made a thread about how cloud meshes well with mac. consider this: nobody wants to approach mac if they can avoid it, and mac loses to defensive styled characters such as :4robinm:,:4pacman:,:4alph: and so on. however, cloud MUST be approached almost at all times, since he has a solid projectile to use, and his limit breaker will be charged for free if he is not approached. he beats out these defensive characters with the fact that they must approach him, and most defensive and projectile based characters have bad approach tools and bad neutrals in general, which cloud can exploit with his big and lingering hitboxes, and has an easier time punishing them.

Rohaun

Smash Rookie
Little Mac is actually my secondary to :4link: I'm a loyal link main. #rideordie

Top Bottom