• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

grab release question

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
So what are the rules for the grab release? Specifically, what can my opponent do out of it? I mostly want to know because I was going to see if grabbing someone, walking them to the edge, and pummeling them until they break out would just send them to their death because of hitstun, or does percent not effect how quickly one can act out of hitstun. Is there anything snake can do when he's grabbed the opponent and he's walked them up to the edge with snake facing the ledge, the opponent grabbed between snake and the ledge. Are there any easy/ good follow ups to grab release on stage? Also, I sometimes I see people pummeling with snake until their opponent mashes out and shoots into a mine, is there any trick to this/does someone have a tip, or is it just good situational/ mine awareness?

cisyphus

Smash Ace
There's no hitstun on a grab release, they'll always fall a set amount of frames before being able to act (and it's not enough to KO them outright). Grab releases have two angles that they can send at and only depend upon their opponent holding up (which causes them to pop up out of the grab rather than out). The setup with the mine kinda depends on them trying to mash out. As for what you can do at ledge in those situations, down throw can set up a footstool if they don't immediately do a non-jump action, which puts them in a really bad spot overall. There's also tech with the grab walk that will send you offstage with your opponent, allowing you to set up for cheesy forward air KOs. Overall it's not that optimal and you should just setup either a combo with up throw, a techchase with down throw, or an edgeguard with forward throw.

Last edited:

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
Thanks cisyphus, I'll start working on the up down and forward throw options you said are generally better.

Top Bottom