• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab/ Combo Set ups?

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
What are typical grab follow ups, and combo starters for ROB? I always kinda see stuff, but I don't know how people generally get their combo game started.

Gringaer

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gringaer
D-throw chaingrabs into itself at low percents and on some characters, I find that you can use U-smash. At higher percents you can usually use D-throw into fair or uair.

Raize

Smash Cadet
What does the falling speed have to be for chain grabs? Can he chaingrab characters like Fox, Sheik, or Puff?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Firstly, important: Uthrow and dthrow are almost interchangeable besides knockback and damage. Uthrow does 10 damage vs dthrows 8, and has very slightly more knockback at 0, with higher scaling making its knockback difference from dthrow more with greater percents. Besides that, they have the same angle (80 degrees, meaning DI behind ROB barely goes backwards at all). Uthrow has a release point further from ROB's center than dthrow, but it also has 2 less frames endlag, which is enough time for ROB to cover that distance, effectively meaning that against DI away they have the same amount of lag. Both are also have weight-immune animations (unlike most throws which slow down if the other character is heavy), meaning they destroy fatty characters especially well. So they're basically the same throw, with uthrow having more KBG.

Fox, Falco, Wolf, and Captain falcon are fast fallers. They can all be chain grabbed starting around 20-40 depending on the character, and going up to like 80-100 depending on which one. Unfortunately, if they DI away, the window is very very tight at all percents. I don't recommend bothering with it if they DI away. Instead I recommend dash attacking for a tech trap after ~25%, and before that, dsmash tech chase. These both work particularly well if they're near the edge. Also, use uthrow before 30%, as it does slightly more damage and knockback giving more time for a follow-up. After 30%, dthrow has plenty of knockback and still allows for the regrab if they DI in.

Roy, Lucas, Diddy, DK, and MK are semi-fast fallers. They can easily be chaingrabbed starting at 0 and going up to about 25%. If they DI away, the chaingrab gets longer- if they don't DI or DI in, you can easily utilt them and start an aerial string, or even just nair. After the chaingrab ends, you can easily get boost upair or running SH fair against DI away, with free easy aerials against any other DI. Since uthrow and dthrow almost have the same knockback at 0, it doesn't matter which you use really, both will work. But after 0, only dthrow if you want the regrab. If you want more knockback for whatever reason then you'd use uthrow.

You can also get a couple regrabs from 0 on average falling fatties. DDD is kinda in between a semi FFer and an average faller, but because he's a fatty, gets CG'd like most of the semi-FFers. Bowser also gets regrabbed once or twice from 0. After that you get aerials. Most of the rest of the average fallers you can get one regrab one from 0. Then you go for aerials.

Floaties and semi-floaties you don't get any regrabs on. Just go straight into aerials. Either boost upair or running SH fair against DI away. From there you go into juggles/carries with positional advantage. Eventually if you don't edgeguard them or carry them off the side or land a random stray kill move, you can just uthrow for a kill from 120 (jiggs) to like 150 depending on which semi floaty you're dealing with (this is for like an average ceiling also).

Last edited:

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
Firstly, important: Uthrow and dthrow are almost interchangeable besides knockback and damage. Uthrow does 10 damage vs dthrows 8, and has very slightly more knockback at 0, with higher scaling making its knockback difference from dthrow more with greater percents. Besides that, they have the same angle. Uthrow has a release point further from ROB's center than dthrow, but it also has 2 less frames endlag, which is enough time for ROB to cover that distance, effectively meaning that against DI away they have the same amount of lag. So they're basically the same throw, with uthrow having more KBG.

Fox, Falco, Wolf, and Captain falcon are fast fallers. They can all be chain grabbed starting around 20-40 depending on the character, and going up to like 80-100 depending on which one. Unfortunately, if they DI away, the window is very very tight at all percents. I don't recommend bothering with it if they DI away. Instead I recommend dash attacking for a tech trap after ~25%, and before that, dsmash tech chase. These both work particularly well if they're near the edge. Also, use uthrow before 30%, as it does slightly more damage and knockback giving more time for a follow-up. After 30%, dthrow has plenty of knockback and still allowed for the regrab if they DI in.

Roy, Lucas, Diddy, DK, and MK are semi-fast fallers. They can easily be chaingrabbed starting at 0 and going up to about 25%. If they DI away, the chaingrab gets longer- if they don't DI or DI in, you can easily utilt them and start an aerial string, or even just nair. After the chaingrab ends, you can easily get boost upair or running SH fair against DI away, with free easy aerials against any other DI. Since uthrow and dthrow almost have the same knockback at 0, it doesn't matter which you use really, both will work. But after 0, only dthrow if you want the regrab. If you want more knockback for whatever reason then you'd use uthrow.

You can also get a couple regrabs from 0 on average falling fatties. DDD is kinda in between a semi FFer and an average faller, but because he's a fatty, gets CG'd like most of the semi-FFers. Bowser also gets regrabbed once or twice from 0. After that you get aerials. Most of the rest of the average fallers you can get one regrab one from 0. Then you go for aerials.

Floaties and semi-floaties you don't get any regrabs on. Just go straight into aerials. Either boost upair or running SH fair against DI away. From their you go into juggles/carries with positional advantage. Eventually if you don't edgeguard them or carry them off the side or land a random stray kill move, you can just uthrow for a kill from 120 (jiggs) to like 150 depending on which semi floaty you're dealing with (this is for like an average ceiling also).
Thank you for the information. What would you recommend for an aerial follow up? I'd imaging upair, but im also kinda shaky on the n-air follow ups because its kinda hard to position.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Thank you for the information. What would you recommend for an aerial follow up? I'd imaging upair, but im also kinda shaky on the n-air follow ups because its kinda hard to position.
Upair or fair basically. I only bother with nair if they're above me, as that lets me position for the early reverse hit rather than the late front hit.

Rubba Prime

Smash Apprentice
How do you all decide between following up Dthrow with upB or a jump? I need to break the habit of always jumping after Dthrow personally

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Up-b is faster and goes farther and increases damage and enables turning around before you can reach the RAR threshold. The only time you want to jump is when you want lower damage as that sigifnicantly decreases knockback for combos. ROB's shortest up-b height is actually slightly lower than his SH, so even needing a SH isn't really a reason to jump. Just break the habit of jumping, and then re-learn it for lower percent combos.

EDIT: Upon additional reflection, jumps offer more flexibility in jump angle, so if you find yourself very frequently landing grabs at low percents, you may end up using jumps more to start those combos since it's easier to use those to react upon dashing forward and then deciding to jump back if necessary. This doesn't really change what I meant when I made this post, but I don't want to miscommunicate that jumps aren't important, because i've noticed some ROBs use up-b exclusively for this even at low percents evens tho they often lose frames doing this since they jump first to give them the prolonged reaction time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom