• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got to the Gecko screen, but Wii remote seems to be act dead.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
When in the Gecko screen after going into the stage builder, my Wii remote turns off. Is this supposed to happen? Am I supposed to use a GameCube controller or something? The problem with that is I have a newer Wii without the GameCube controller port. If I need a GameCube controller, don't worry, I can use my friend's Wii until I get my old one fixed or get the US plug that allow use of the controller for the newer Wii/Wii U.

UniversalWolf21

Smash Cadet
NNID
UniversalWolf21
3DS FC
5155-3001-9896
Ok, I'm going to explain it, and hopefully someone can make a sticky so that other people can know that it isnt their fault...

The only way to play Project M on the new Wiis (And the Wii U) is to have one of the older model Wii Remotes. By that, I mean look at the bottom of the Wii Remote, if it says Motion Plus Inside, you're boned. You need a Wii Remote that does not include the motion plus. Once you get to Gecko the remote will turn off, but it will quickly come back on. Luckily I had old model Wii Remotes due to my mother letting her launch-date Wii sit and collect dust, so I simply swapped remotes with the one that I bought for my Wii U.

Try borrowing your friend's old Wii Remote and see if that works for you. :D

KDaddy463

Smash Rookie
The same thing happened to me, but after turning on one of my older remotes and selecting "Launch Game", the game loaded normally but the "Motionplus built in controller" could be turned back on, and I could still use it to play

UniversalWolf21

Smash Cadet
NNID
UniversalWolf21
3DS FC
5155-3001-9896
As a matter of fact, yes, I forgot to mention this fact.

Once you actually get past the Gecko screen, you can use any Wii Remote again, but you will need an old Wii Remote to get past the screen in the first place. Just recommended to keep one of the older models around just to get past said screen.

Thank you for reminding me, KDaddy. ^_^

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
As a matter of fact, yes, I forgot to mention this fact.

Once you actually get past the Gecko screen, you can use any Wii Remote again, but you will need an old Wii Remote to get past the screen in the first place. Just recommended to keep one of the older models around just to get past said screen.

Thank you for reminding me, KDaddy. ^_^
The same thing happened to me, but after turning on one of my older remotes and selecting "Launch Game", the game loaded normally but the "Motionplus built in controller" could be turned back on, and I could still use it to play
Ya, I luckily still had my first wii remote from my old wii. This is just awesome, me and my IRL friends enjoy it so much.

IguessLuigiscool

Smash Rookie
Is there any chance that this will be fixed in the future (allowing me to use a WiiMotionPlus controller), or am I forced to get an older controller?

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I think if you have a Gamecube controller inserted in your wii, then you can press A on your gamecube controller.

UniversalWolf21

Smash Cadet
NNID
UniversalWolf21
3DS FC
5155-3001-9896
If you have an older Wii (the one with the GC ports) you can simply use a GC controller to get past the Gecko screen, as that is what was mainly used for Brawl anyways...

However, if you have the new Wii (usually the black ones) or the Wii U, you will NEED an old Wii Remote that doesn't have the Motion Plus inside of it. Reasons for this is because Nintendo did something to the insides that made it incompatible with Gecko. So whenever Gecko comes up...boom, controller dies and refuses to resync until Gecko is off the screen. Even if you have the adapter that plugs the GC controller into the Wii Remote, unless you have an old Wii Remote you won't get off that screen. Once you're off Gecko you can use whatever controller you like.

Just switch remotes with one of your friends. They won't notice/mind. :3

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
If you have an older Wii (the one with the GC ports) you can simply use a GC controller to get past the Gecko screen, as that is what was mainly used for Brawl anyways...

However, if you have the new Wii (usually the black ones) or the Wii U, you will NEED an old Wii Remote that doesn't have the Motion Plus inside of it. Reasons for this is because Nintendo did something to the insides that made it incompatible with Gecko. So whenever Gecko comes up...boom, controller dies and refuses to resync until Gecko is off the screen. Even if you have the adapter that plugs the GC controller into the Wii Remote, unless you have an old Wii Remote you won't get off that screen. Once you're off Gecko you can use whatever controller you like.

Just switch remotes with one of your friends. They won't notice/mind. :3
Yea I already solved the problem since I already have the old wii remotes, thanks anyways.

UniversalWolf21

Smash Cadet
NNID
UniversalWolf21
3DS FC
5155-3001-9896
Glad to be of help. ^_^

If possible, could someone make a sticky for those who are going through the same problems we went through? Or maybe even put it in the installation instructions on the download page! Those who originally thought it wouldn't work on their systems might not know. ^_^

Doq

Smash Lord
I am going to confuse the hell out of everybody in this topic, but might I mention that there are two revisions to the Wii Remote Plus, making that THREE different types of remotes, not two. The Wii Remote and the old revision Remote Pluses work with Gecko OS, however the new revision Wii Remote Pluses do not. Basically any Wii Remote made before late 2011, Plus or not, will work with Gecko OS.

UniversalWolf21

Smash Cadet
NNID
UniversalWolf21
3DS FC
5155-3001-9896
Do the old Wii Remote Pluses come in variety of colors? I know the black Wii Remote Pluses more than likely don't work, because the one I purchased doesn't and the 16+ black ones they have at my college (gaming labs are the best) don't work, either. And yes, I went through them all.

Still, I think it would just be better to hunt down an old Wii Remote. Ebay has too many of em, and you will only need one of them in order to play Project M.

Doq

Smash Lord
Do the old Wii Remote Pluses come in variety of colors? I know the black Wii Remote Pluses more than likely don't work, because the one I purchased doesn't and the 16+ black ones they have at my college (gaming labs are the best) don't work, either. And yes, I went through them all.

Still, I think it would just be better to hunt down an old Wii Remote. Ebay has too many of em, and you will only need one of them in order to play Project M.
It doesn't really matter the colour, so long as the Remote itself was made before Nintendo jacked up the Remotes' insides. (before 2011-2012)

Me personally I only have Remote Pluses; one is black, one is white. The black one was made before 2011 and works with Gecko but the white one does not.

Clef Aria

Smash Rookie
I am going to confuse the hell out of everybody in this topic, but might I mention that there are two revisions to the Wii Remote Plus, making that THREE different types of remotes, not two. The Wii Remote and the old revision Remote Pluses work with Gecko OS, however the new revision Wii Remote Pluses do not. Basically any Wii Remote made before late 2011, Plus or not, will work with Gecko OS.
Is there a surefire way to know if a Wii Remote Plus is 'old enough' to work before actually buying it? Do they look any different from the most modern ones?

Salava

Smash Rookie
NNID
Salava
3DS FC
5172-1946-8591

Thanks so much for explaining this. I was racking my brain trying to find the problem. I thought it had something to do with the way WiiU does VC controller association. I recently updated my wii remotes to collectors' and the only one that will work for GeckoOS is some (probably stolen) JP reject I got on a black friday sale 2011. It does have motion plus. Not suited for gameplay though. lol

kezzeur

Smash Rookie
ok i installed homebrew and the wii menu in my wii u and i am trying to load gecko os but none of my wii remotes work. I try to use the old wii remote without motionplus or wtv but when i click on homebrew channel, that remote just stops working while the motion sensor one still does so i am able to click on gecko os in homebrew channel with the motion sensor remote but then i can't control the gecko os screen cuz its a motion sensor remote and the other old remote just stops working when i load homebrew channel, plz help me i dont want to return this wii u but if i cant hack ssbb i will have to

Azure Doctor

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty late on this but I apologize. This thread was helpful since I recently brought one of the new Wii controllers and couldn't navigate Gecko. Thanks for the help!

KenneththeMogeko

Smash Rookie
That goes to me also, I have 2 Wii Remotes that have MotionPlus and i don't have any of the old Wii Remote models.

Jorttle

Smash Rookie
Nope, All you can do is test if it works on the Gecko screen.
Actually, I'm fairly certain you can tell from the controller; if you can see and press the red SYNC button on the back of the controller without taking off the plastic case, it won't work. However, if you can't see the button, it should work.
Note, This is based off what I have found with my controllers, and it is consistent but I'm not 100% certain it applies to all controllers

Top Bottom