• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got my hands on Brawl for a short time tonight..

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
Olimar is definitely NOT a pick up and play character. I was playing w/ some people who had been playing the game for a couple weeks, and pretty much got *****. I got a single win of the few times I played him. He is not the person you want to have your first matches against actual people with. If you're planning on playing with him, play against someone who is also playing Olimar, or a computer. If you plan on going to the Gamestop tourney and playing him (like I was) I would almost slap you. I know how everyone says Brawl is way different from Melee, and many thought the way I did, "Can't be too different, I'm sure I'll be fine!" Well, your in for quite the surprise. When your using the moves people say are "really fast," the first time you use them, they're really slow. If your a complete noob and going against another noob, If your using Olimar, you're probably going to lose. He's got a steep learning curve and that is going to take some private practice to tackle.

Bottom line: If your a newbie going against a newbie, use anyone besides Olimar. He's got a steep learning curve and your opponent is going to figure out his guy before you scratch the surface with yours. And by that time, you've got one stock and he's only lost maybe one. Don't get me wrong, I love Olimar, he's just tough. I'd give you a bunch of information that I learned, but it's already been said everywhere else.

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm... thanks for saying something. I was going to be Olimar at the Gamestop tourney, but I guess there will be other chances to show him off after practice. I guess I'll just use my secondary (Luigi)...

Anyway, by "slow" you meant like the whistle or the throw... ?

AlbelsPanties

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I was gonna use my old main (peach) to get myself familiar with the changes for Brawl, then switch over to Olimar and main him.

Droogieb

Smash Apprentice
I actually played as olimar my first few matches against my friends who are experienced and I have yet to lose with him. Granted I have been reading alot of forums on which pikmin are best for what, but to be really honest he wasn't as difficult as I thought he would be. I was an IC main in melee so maybe im used to odd characters but you can really make Olimar viable. He is tricky when you start throwing too many pikim and don't order the pikmin.

I guess everyone has their own thoughts

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I did better once I got used to the game. But like I said, these guy's had had it for a couple weeks and are tournament players. I'm not. Plus, they were characters like ZSS and Falco. But that's not excuse.

@ Kabuto - Mostly the throw, the whistle came out faster than I thought it would have but the speed the pikmin fly was a little disappointing except for the Whites. I got used to it eventually and it didn't seem to bad, but when fighting a Falco or Zamus, it just wasn't cutting it.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
I played as Olimar for the first time at the SF Nintendo SSBB Tournament a couple of weeks ago.. yeah, bad idea. But at least I made it to round 2 without prior knowledge of Olimar and the classic controller so it was ok I guess.

Top Bottom