• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good Way's To Set Up Rest (Combos)?

tru.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
(Threads haven't been created for almost a month now on this topic, so I decided to start a new one.)​
I'm having a difficult time counting on Sing to put the opponent to sleep and punishing with Rest, as it is easily predicted. Every time I find an opportunity to strike with Rest, it usually misses and I get KOed. What are some methods I can use to combo into Rest that are reliable? At what percent is it guaranteed to knock out an opponent? Poor Jigglypuff is tired of getting blasted offstage.

Last edited:

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
There is like 30 topic open on that...

There is no guaranteed rest setups.
OOS rest is your best option, if somebody dash attack, shield-rest guanteed on like 90% of dash attack (depend on spacing)
Roll punish: See opponent roll toward you, rest.
I think there is like a fair to fair rest. I've seen it in a tourney... it didnt seem like he was at rest range at all but it hit (he hit like the feet of sheik...

tru.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
There is like 30 topic open on that...

There is no guaranteed rest setups.
OOS rest is your best option, if somebody dash attack, shield-rest guanteed on like 90% of dash attack (depend on spacing)
Roll punish: See opponent roll toward you, rest.
I think there is like a fair to fair rest. I've seen it in a tourney... it didnt seem like he was at rest range at all but it hit (he hit like the feet of sheik...
I realize there are a lot of topics on this, but they were posted a long time ago, and most people would not have seen a comment on that thread otherwise.

Thank you for the feedback though, I'll definitely try it! :b:

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
If someone's charging a down or forward smash, you could hover above them and drop down to punish the ending lag with a rest.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Up-tilt > Up-Tilt > Rest at 0%

OR

Up-Tilt > Rest at 0% (Works with sheik)

1-Jab > Rest ( or 1-Jab > Dash-Jump-Rest) on DK.

This is literally all I can say for this, but jiggly was not made to do true combos.

Last edited:

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Up-tilt > Up-Tilt > Rest at 0%

OR

Up-Tilt > Rest at 0% (Works with sheik)

1-Jab > Rest ( or 1-Jab > Dash-Jump-Rest) on DK.

This is literally all I can say for this, but jiggly was not made to do true combos.

Speaking of 1-Jab > Rest, are there any other charters it's usable on at certain percents? I've been trying it out at higher percents and it's usually not a true combo, but sometimes it seems to work on floaty characters at high percents

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
Speaking of 1-Jab > Rest, are there any other charters it's usable on at certain percents? I've been trying it out at higher percents and it's usually not a true combo, but sometimes it seems to work on floaty characters at high percents
I made a thread about jab-rest, and for most it doesn't go very high. Although, it can kill around 50% on megaman and villager. You have to be super close tho.

Also, raising Dair to rest can be a combo, you can find the video somewhere in the competitive and metagame thread on the latest page.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
All I know of is jab reset Rest. Even then it's not too reliable and you're better off going with F-Smash.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I want someone to test these by having the opponent get hit and start shielding. Something like Jab -> shorthop Rest seems to take too long to be a true combo. Is it because the opponent is put off the ground and immediate into landing lag?

Mega Man is notorious for trying to sneak in grabs. Perhaps our spotdodge is worth more than normal in that matchup as a result if Jab -> Rest is actually a combo.

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
Jiggs doesn't actually have a jab reset in Smash 4, soooo
She does, it's just not a jab, it's a neutral f-tilt.
I want someone to test these by having the opponent get hit and start shielding. Something like Jab -> shorthop Rest seems to take too long to be a true combo. Is it because the opponent is put off the ground and immediate into landing lag?

Mega Man is notorious for trying to sneak in grabs. Perhaps our spotdodge is worth more than normal in that matchup as a result if Jab -> Rest is actually a combo.
Jab to SH rest works at about 85% and up, which isn't too bad.

Tselel (5805)

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chris_Tselel
I made a thread about jab-rest, and for most it doesn't go very high. Although, it can kill around 50% on megaman and villager. You have to be super close tho.

Also, raising Dair to rest can be a combo, you can find the video somewhere in the competitive and metagame thread on the latest page.
This one?

skillzdatkillz

Smash Rookie
Falling u-air to rest is a true combo from 0~15% on standing characters (works on airborne characters too, I just don't know percentages) and weak f-air to rest isn't a true combo, but against people who like pressing buttons, it works like a charm.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Falling u-air to rest is a true combo from 0~15% on standing characters (works on airborne characters too, I just don't know percentages) and weak f-air to rest isn't a true combo, but against people who like pressing buttons, it works like a charm.
The falling Uair setup is much better than that, actually. It can kill most of the cast between 40-48% (pre-Uair) easy, and it's still a true combo at that point.

Captain Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nacholovr
3DS FC
1848-1848-8415
Although it isn't really a combo, I often do a roll towards my opponent and then rest. Most people I play against don't expect me to roll towards them with Jiggs, probably because she is such a lightweight character. This works especially well on characters who are standing on the ledge or just got up from ledge hanging.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Although it isn't really a combo, I often do a roll towards my opponent and then rest. Most people I play against don't expect me to roll towards them with Jiggs, probably because she is such a lightweight character. This works especially well on characters who are standing on the ledge or just got up from ledge hanging.
It's very, very effective on the ledge. I can attest to this.

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
I like standing at the ledge to bait rests. Most characters need to approach to kill Jiggs. As such, you can spot dodge their approach option and if it was a grab or a dash attack or a pivot grab/Ftilt, you can get the rest usually.

jamzthehedgehog

Smash Cadet
NNID
JamzTheHedgehog
Jiggs has 1 true guaranteed 3 hit combo into rest which is very reliable and kills anywhere on the stage. I've been using it for a while and it's one of my most reliable guaranteed early kill combos... I made a quick video here explaining how it works...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOU2a9F4IX4&feature=youtu.be#

I discovered this in the training room december last year against pit and I've been using it ever since.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I found this legit rest combo a while ago but haven't seen anyone else utilise it yet... So I made a video about it to help other Jiggly players struggling to kill, get the early stock advantage. Tell me what you think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOU2a9F4IX4&feature=youtu.be#

Works on medium weight characters at 40% to around 47% any higher and pound pops the opponent up too high to follow up with sour spot f-air... any lower and it wont guarantee the kill.

Lighter characters must be at around 20% to 30% for this to work and kill

Heavier characters gotta be about 45% till around 58% to secure the kill.... (King Dedede I'm looking at you -__-)

This is common knowledge, and it's almost never used because hitting with the very end of Pound is very unrealistic against a human opponent (who won't just be standing still and will likely not move toward it after he sees you starting Pound). It's very susceptible to stutter-step Smash attacks because of the very precise range you have to be at in order for this to work, which Jigglypuff already has to worry about more than most characters because of her poor ground speed and bad range. Even if you do get that super-late Pound hit, it's a lot iffier on opponents DI-ing away (either on Pound or the F-Air; CPUs in Training Mode won't do that), so you can't really expect this to work against anyone of significant skill without a whole lot of luck on your hands; it basically requires the opponent to run into it at the exact wrong time.

Pound Blitz (Up-B3) allows this to function more seamlessly because the final hit of Pound Blitz gives the same cooldown as when you hit Pound really late in the anmation, no matter what part of Pound Blitz first hits. It also has lower knockback and a higher angle (Pound Blitz sends people at a 90-degree angle; Pound sends at 75 degrees). The F-Air follow-up before Rest is doable at specific percents/against specific characters, but Pound Blitz -> Rest is most certainly safer.

Last edited:

jamzthehedgehog

Smash Cadet
NNID
JamzTheHedgehog
This is common knowledge, and it's almost never used because hitting with the very end of Pound is very unrealistic against a human opponent (who won't just be standing still and will likely not move toward it after he sees you starting Pound). It's very susceptible to stutter-step Smash attacks because of the very precise range you have to be at in order for this to work, which Jigglypuff already has to worry about more than most characters because of her poor ground speed and bad range. Even if you do get that super-late Pound hit, it's a lot iffier on opponents DI-ing away (either on Pound or the F-Air; CPUs in Training Mode won't do that), so you can't really expect this to work against anyone of significant skill without a whole lot of luck on your hands; it basically requires the opponent to run into it at the exact wrong time.

Pound Blitz (Up-B3) allows this to function more seamlessly because the final hit of Pound Blitz gives the same cooldown as when you hit Pound really late in the anmation, no matter what part of Pound Blitz first hits. It also has lower knockback and a higher angle (Pound Blitz sends people at a 90-degree angle; Pound sends at 75 degrees). The F-Air follow-up before Rest is doable at specific percents/against specific characters, but Pound Blitz -> Rest is most certainly safer.
Forgive me for not realising that this was already common knowledge, but just so you know, I wouldn't put effort into making a video like that if this only worked on cpu's who DI towards me and let me hit them for free. That would be silly.

You're right, getting the last frame of pound to hit is pretty impossible in a real match, but as I stated in the video, it's not necessary. The pound is mainly just a set up tool to see if you can catch your opponent with the sour spot f-air in which case the Rest is guaranteed. Surely that's legit? I've used and still use the 2 hit combo version of this combo successfully so many times its uncountable because although DI could affect the direction your opponent flies after the pound, a well placed pound is fast enough and unexpected enough to catch your opponent while he isn't DI-ing (especially if you pound after a tech chase while they're getting up). I have so many replays of me executing this both on the 3ds where I discovered it and on the wii u. I even pulled this combo off on Nairo twice on stream (second time I didn't rest coz I was afraid it wouldn't kill) and many other times both in tournament and in offline friendlies.

Again, I wouldn't waste my time making a video about it, and/or post about it if it hardly worked for me in real matches against good players.

GspotJackson

Smash Rookie
NNID
GspotJackson
Forgive me for not realising that this was already common knowledge, but just so you know, I wouldn't put effort into making a video like that if this only worked on cpu's who DI towards me and let me hit them for free. That would be silly.

You're right, getting the last frame of pound to hit is pretty impossible in a real match, but as I stated in the video, it's not necessary. The pound is mainly just a set up tool to see if you can catch your opponent with the sour spot f-air in which case the Rest is guaranteed. Surely that's legit? I've used and still use the 2 hit combo version of this combo successfully so many times its uncountable because although DI could affect the direction your opponent flies after the pound, a well placed pound is fast enough and unexpected enough to catch your opponent while he isn't DI-ing (especially if you pound after a tech chase while they're getting up). I have so many replays of me executing this both on the 3ds where I discovered it and on the wii u. I even pulled this combo off on Nairo twice on stream (second time I didn't rest coz I was afraid it wouldn't kill) and many other times both in tournament and in offline friendlies.

Again, I wouldn't waste my time making a video about it, and/or post about it if it hardly worked for me in real matches against good players.
I actually found the video to be quite helpful. I've been playing with jigglypuff for awhile now and even without hitting pound, hitting with the sour spot of fair is quite common. Given that it leads right into a true combo for rest immediately makes useful.

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
If you are near the edge of the stage while your opponent is on the ledge, roll back as they recover. If they went for a roll recovery, you get a free rest right then and there. Great rest chase option, it works well.

Top Bottom