• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good Stages?

FearTheTree

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6153-4921
I'm trying to find stages that would be good to pick for Ness, I like Yoshi's Story, but what else would be a good stage for a floaty, defensive Ness?

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
When considering Ness on his own(as in, without considering his opponent) Yoshi's story is a double-edged sword that mostly cuts Ness.

On the upside, Ness is pretty slow when it comes to moving upwards, so the compact stage works well for allowing Ness to tech chase on platforms. Also, shyguys(shyguys who fly are actually called "Shy Aways" despite them commonly being called Shy Guys or Fly Guys) flying over the walkable area of the stage block enemy projectiles, are YYG targets, and are PK Fire targets.

On the downside, Shy Aways flying over the non-walkable area of the stage will kill Ness by eating his recovery and save opponents from dying to his bthrow, the cloud platform can also eat his recovery, the sloped-down sides do not work well for Ness' fsmash edgegaurd as Ness cannot angle his fsmash and it does not conform to slopes(like how, for instance, Marth's does).

You should definitely consider Ness' strengths and weaknesses when selecting a stage, but a good deal of stage selection also must consider your opponent's character.

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman
I like FD a good deal as Ness, it's good against characters like Fox, Dream Land 64 is also a decent pick though, keeps you from dying fast and gives you some space to move.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
I really like FD against people who are not Falco or Shiek. I definitely prefer Yoshi's over most other stages even though Simna is right, it hurts. Dream Land kinda sucks against Shiek because the platforms are too high to DI out of the chain grab sooner. My personal favorites are Yoshi's and Battlefield.

As for objectively good stages, FD is good, Yoshi's is good but not great, Fountain of Dreams is pretty good. Honestly, I don't think Dreamland is the greatest even though he can live longer, and Pokemon is a weird one. Transformations make it less good, but the neutral transformation is pretty good.

ιota [UPSB]

Smash Cadet
How do you feel about FoD Simna? Since I main falcon, I have an instinctual hate for fountain, but I feel like it may be an okay pick for Ness simply because it messes up a lot of other characters' stuff, e.g. taking a Falcon to fountain, or something.

Obviously it'd be a bad idea against the few mid-high tier characters that actually like that stage, like maybe falco, but it seems to me that it isn't that bad for Ness, since I figure it's probably worth messing with their combos at the expense of possibly messing with some of his.

Last edited:

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
I personally don't like FoD very much because
my vision is made of ass and its hard for me to see a lot of characters as well on that stage,
but the moving platforms allow for some fun PK Thunder BS.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
Oh, and for the Sheik matchup, I only like Battlefield, Yoshi's, and Fountain of Dreams. Final Destination allows for easy-mode chaingrabs, Dreamland does the same thing because the platforms are too high, and Pokemon doesn't have a top platform, so while you can save yourself from the chaingrab due to low platforms, Sheik's ridiculous hitboxen will just hurt a lot.

Top Bottom