• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good stages for Fox vs Marth?

Hiku

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
NEO#754
NNID
FreakyFlygon
Hello, most of you probably don't know me (that is because I just joined this forum today) but I am a Fox player in Melee. I have a friend who has been playing Melee for a little longer than I have (I have been played for about a year now) and he mains Marth. Every time I play him, I either choose FD or Battlefield and lose to his Marth badly. What are some stages that would be better for Fox in a Fox versus Marth matchup? I am getting really tired of him 3 or 4 stocking me on Battlefield and FD constantly since those are the stages I would prefer to play on since I train on them a lot.
Thanks,
Hiku

import3dguest

Smash Rookie
Pokemon Stadium is probably one of Fox's best stages because you can trap your opponent in corners with multishines and it makes it hard for Marth to space hits as well. FD is Marth's best stage. If you're trying to avoid favourable stages for Marth, don't pick FD.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Typically people consider dreamland or stadium to be the strongest counterpicks. Really it depends on the style of fox you play and the style of Marth your opponent plays. I like taking dash dance heavy Marth's to Fountain or possibly Yoshi's. Against more swing heavy Marth's I prefer Stadium, Dreamland, or even FD if they can't chain grab, but I avoid Yoshi's.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Def DL/PS. FD Marth is fox's worst matchup in the game (top level). BF/FoD have pretty high ceilings, but you can at least evade Marth somewhat on BF. YS has a super low ceiling but you need to be able to win exchanges and pressure hard, easier said than done depending on the Marth.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Dream land is good for any character vs marth. Marth can't platform poke with fsmash.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Dream land is good for any character vs marth. Marth can't platform poke with fsmash.
That has always been the case. However, marths are starting to finally realize that DL is a neutral game stage, and that Marth has excellent neutral game. You get less free tippers but you still have plenty of options.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
That has always been the case. However, marths are starting to finally realize that DL is a neutral game stage, and that Marth has excellent neutral game. You get less free tippers but you still have plenty of options.
I think the only thing dl has over the other stages that benefits marth is platform placement. They're perfect for movement, especially perfect wavelands.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I think the only thing dl has over the other stages that benefits marth is platform placement. They're perfect for movement, especially perfect wavelands.
Its sheer size really helps a spacing-based character with a great dash dance. Greater distance between the lower plats helps with the spacies cg at center stage, you just have to combo differently once the plats interrupt your juggles. More fair/double fair offstage, more fair into fsmash/dtilt offstage, rising uair + land on plat + fsmash, etc. You just cant utilt into tipper fsmash, juggle with late ff tipper uairs, or techchase with fsmash really.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
Hello, most of you probably don't know me (that is because I just joined this forum today) but I am a Fox player in Melee. I have a friend who has been playing Melee for a little longer than I have (I have been played for about a year now) and he mains Marth. Every time I play him, I either choose FD or Battlefield and lose to his Marth badly. What are some stages that would be better for Fox in a Fox versus Marth matchup? I am getting really tired of him 3 or 4 stocking me on Battlefield and FD constantly since those are the stages I would prefer to play on since I train on them a lot.
Thanks,
Hiku
Good stages vs Marth are Dreamland and bad are FoD, FD, Battlefield.

Top Bottom