• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good secondarys to mewtwo?

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
I like Lucina for any jobs that Mewtwo cant do.

Basically, anything that doesn't respect my purple balls is going to respect my disjoint and counter - although I find that I prefer using Mewtwo against Cloud (generally) and I tend to reach for Lucina against Diddy, Sheik, and Fox (the quickbunnies)

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
I don't know what Marth mains or Diddy mains think of the Marth/Diddy matchup (might be even or slightly in Diddy's favour), but I think Marth handles Cloud pretty well. Marth's aerials are pretty fast, powerful and disjointed, and his ground pokes are good (Cloud's ground pokes are meh). Marth is also fairly fast on the ground and has a great walkspeed to boot.

P.S. Please use the Q and A threads in each forum. It's kind of messy to have a thread for every question asked.

Last edited:

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
I also use Marth/Lucina as my secondary. I didn't know it was so common.

JasonKaroshi

Smash Apprentice
I secondary Villager, and I found out that quite a bit of people do the same. Here it says the most popular dual main for Mewtwo is with Villager (reddit survey, take it with a grain of salt)

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I secondary Villager, and I found out that quite a bit of people do the same. Here it says the most popular dual main for Mewtwo is with Villager (reddit survey, take it with a grain of salt)
"reddit survey"
Please never go there, reddit makes me go fully numb.
I don't know why people like villager as a secondary either, they both lose to cloud. Subjectively speaking even though mewtwo has more wins against cloud than cloud does against mewtwo.

JasonKaroshi

Smash Apprentice
"reddit survey"
Please never go there, reddit makes me go fully numb.
I don't know why people like villager as a secondary either, they both lose to cloud. Subjectively speaking even though mewtwo has more wins against cloud than cloud does against mewtwo.
I did say take it with a grain of salt, and how would simple statistics make you go numb? I don't use Villager to counter pick, I only pick him when I feel extra campy and Shadow Balls just won't do the trick. He's pretty fun.

Last edited:

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
I also use Marth/Lucina as my secondary. I didn't know it was so common.
The playstyle is sorta similar (M2 and Marcina are characters where you have to be fairly precise and deliberate) but the moveset and tools are totally different. Its a way of significantly changing it up without changing your game attitude too much.

When I play Lucy I sometimes forget that I am not The God Who Lurks Beyond The Ledge though...

I never enjoyed playing Villager. I can see all his potential, but I don't like his flavour.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I did say take it with a grain of salt, and how would simple statistics make you go numb? I don't use Villager to counter pick, I only pick him when I feel extra campy and Shadow Balls just won't do the trick. He's pretty fun.
With Reddit, its not statistics. It's BS.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
What? All they did was take a simple survey. Sure, I guess Reddit can be toxic, but not everything is bad.
As someone how works with surveys, I don't trust reddit. They probably have a ton of joke responses, and then it isn't top/high or even mid level players. The average player on SB doesn't go to tourneys. What about reddit? a much more open, less analytic place?

Vixy

Smash Rookie
I just use Corrin because I never really set a secondary and I like the dragon XD that's my detailed reason.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Surprised no one has said Sheik yet. She is a popular, fantastic secondary for Mewtwo players who want to cover Diddy and Cloud.

In my head at least, Rosa should be a good secondary as well.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
Over the weekend I played a decent Cloud, and my Mewtwo was getting juggled, but he ate me even harder when I switched to Lucina.

Then I switched to Duck Hunt Duo (who I used to enjoy playing before I unlocked Mewtwo) and suddenly started winning. Maybe it was his poor MU experience with DHD, but I was outranging his smashes, stuffing his recovery and all kinds of great times were had by me and not by him. Got him super salty and decided to revisit DHD as being a viable secondary.

Not sure if he would be good against Diddy though... Frame data is not favourable.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Marcina is the best suggestion, though it's more that they don't get frustrated vs those chars rather than actually beating them.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
Marcina is the best suggestion, though it's more that they don't get frustrated vs those chars rather than actually beating them.

Yeah... the tools are there, but they aren't quite there; too predictable. The key element when fighting Cloud seems (to me) to be unpredictability. And not approaching from on high.

with Diddy its about stealing the banana and having decent specials at play. I had a great game against (an admittedly average) Diddy over the weekend... with Jigglypuff. Stole the banana, and just used side-B until 60%, banana-throw > rest to finish. It was gold.

TarriestMetal27

Smash Rookie
I have this same issue. I went to try Marth recently and it just didn't work. Then I tried characters like Pikachu and Bayo, but those didn't seem to click well. I'm thinking of trying DHD for Cloud and Mario for Diddy.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I have this same issue. I went to try Marth recently and it just didn't work. Then I tried characters like Pikachu and Bayo, but those didn't seem to click well. I'm thinking of trying DHD for Cloud and Mario for Diddy.
We don't need a secondary for cloud any more, its an even matchup.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
It's even or slightly in clouds favor. Although it is definitely winnable. The main MU to get a secondary for is diddy, as that MU is probably 60/40. Otherwise, if you are having trouble with a MU, I would suggest really thinking it out. Keep in mind what you can punish, how you can punish and what you need to avoid.

Top Bottom