• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good secondary character to compliment Falco

JakeLaser

Smash Rookie
Hey all, I have been having issues recently with trying to figure out a good secondary character to use along side with Falco. Of course I will always main Falco, but at times I have a hard time with certain match-ups. I know choosing a counter pick character could depend on what my opponent chooses but I was wondering what your guys opinion is on a good secondary character to use.

I know Falco is a fast faller and easily Gimp-able so I wanted to use some other character who can avoid those things when i cannot succeed with Falco.

I am pretty decent with Marth, DK, Lucario and Link. Let me know if any of those characters are good compliments to Falco!

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
Probably marth because I have Falco to second my marth and my matches work out fine

JakeLaser

Smash Rookie
I use Marth a lot but I feel like Marth is not as good of a character as he can be in this game at least

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
I use Marth a lot but I feel like Marth is not as good of a character as he can be in this game at least
A lot of people do but that's because of the brawl physics making him floaty in pm. You can probably try Lucas, Sheik or Pit. It's not really good to have fox or wolf as secondaries because they are easy to 0 to death.

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I main Falco and peach but if you want your secondary character to be good pick a spacie or a floater

JakeLaser

Smash Rookie
I like Lucario and DK. I do not want to be link or lucas because everyone is playing them. I feel pit is also very had to pick up on a competitive level

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
Yeah on. Competitive level pit is pretty hard. If you don't have time Lucario might be your best bet. I don't know much about DK but I know about Lucario.

T-R3X

Smash Cadet
you probably don't need one for falco - he has the tools to deal with every match up if you know the other characters. in PM I play falcon and fox sometimes. Fox isn't a bad option since he can do really well against a lot of the floatier characters that falco can't really combo into quick kills plus his tech isn't too too different (there are some slight frame differences on jump and other things but if you play them for long enough/warm up then it shouldn't matter.

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
for fox though you would have to be a little more technical to bring out his damage racking combo's

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Falco is a good secondary. Seriously, you are Falco, there is no need for a secondary.

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
What about Lucas?
Lucas is also technical. you'll have to learn some of his advance stuff but if you're willing to that would sound like quite the unique characters to play against

Last edited:

huxy

Smash Rookie
pick a character that the rest of the cast doesn't have a chain grab on.

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
I never said he did but it is not like Falco has hard enough match ups where you are required to switch. Not even close.
Pretty much this. He might not always "crush every character" but falco has plenty of tools in his arsenal of moves to take on the entire roster with few problems. A secondary might help with certain MU's, but falco is capable of dealing with most of the roster, so learning to overcome your bad matchups with falco instead can only help you in the long run.

However, if you still want to find a secondary, I can suggest someone with more speed and better recovery options. Meta Knight is definitely a decent character in both of these respects, has a strong combo/tech follow up game, but can be easy to predict due to his floatiness and low weight.

Shiek would also be a solid pick. Her ground game an combining abilities are solid, with fast footwork and strong juggling capabilities. Her arial game was toned down a bit from melee, but is still quite effective at finishing off opponents as well as edge guarding. However, like meta knight, she isn't a fast faller, and failing to consistently mix up your game and leaving the opponent confused can leave you open for punishment.

That's my two cents.

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
I enjoy playing Mario alongside Falco because for some reason they feel a bit similar to me. Mario relies more on his jab and tilts for starting combos, but he also has a down-b that launches upwards (although more risky) and a reflector that also helps his recovery. He can also wall jump out of up-b which helps him a lot. He has more recovery options In general but he struggles horizontally. Mario isn't bad in PM though, I played mostly Mario at some friendlies yesterday vs 2 guys who played characters like Marth, Lucas, Ness, Charizard, DDD, Lucario, Squirtle, and some others and I was able to do quite well as Mario. I got wrecked by Charizard though x) either I'm not very good or it's a bad matchup or both. He's got decent kill power and an easy wavedash that is also pretty good. Fireballs do well for spacing since they do like 6% and they stun like Falco's lasers. His aerial game is also pretty solid like Falco as well. His down air builds damage like Fox, and his forward air can be a upward launching power kill move at like 120 if you can set up for it (which usually either down throw or jab-jab-down tilt to fair can work) or it can be a meteor smash at it's later frames. Uptilt is a good juggler too. Upsmash is also a powerful killer along with fsmash, both having low lag in general and can be combo'd into. Down smash hits in front and behind with lots of range, it's a good get-off-me type more but with slightly more endlag.

Lol well there's your guide to Mario xD. Not sure if that's what you were looking for, but regardless he's a fun and easy to use character :)

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
Tell us which matchups you have trouble with because that is the easiest way to tell who else you should focus on.

ep1c_marf

Smash Apprentice
hey guys whats up i am a falco player and just wanted to get your input on falcos matchups vs floties especially vs mewtwo i have alot of trouble vs them

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Mewtwo is broken, and hoses Falco specifically really hard because of his ridiculous combo game on fastfallers. Marth has a better chance against m2 than most, as do characters with strong neutral games that can kill off the top quickly, like Lucas. Fox can do it, but he suffers from getting combo'd the same way as Falco.

Blazing Ambition

Smash Journeyman
I mean, if your already playing a fast faller with poor recovery, you may as well double down and play C.Falcon as well. You should be used to getting gimped at this point, and falcon's amazing ground speed is a breath of fresh air after a couple of games spent sluggishly waddling around with falco. C.falcon's aerials are just as good (if not better) than falco's, and you still have a nice down-air to work with.
*p.s.
C.Falcon also has a fun time combining all of the janky project m floaties that have ridiculous, 0-death chain grabs on fast-fallers. Granted, he's vulnerable to said grabs, but that should just keep you alert and on your toes.

Top Bottom