• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good and Bad stages for Mario?

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I've always played Melee but I've never went to tournaments for it. I've also only went to one Project M tournament so far (last week) but I totally plan to consistently attend them.

However, because of my inexperience with the game, I have a problem counter-picking and banning stages as confidently as I can in Brawl. Can anyone offer any tips? Also, if possible, can anyone list the good and bad stages of the rest of the cast if they're knowledgeable in the area and also explain why(for the sake of broadening my knowledge in counter-picking/banning)?

Thanks in advance!

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I would say they are all good for mario. It just depends on what you want/need in the match up to win. If you are generally unsure what the other character can do, you might want a stage with a wall so you can at least upB wall jump a little easier than you could on a stage like BF or SV, just for the extra survivability. If you want kills fast, Yoshi's(melee) FoD or warioware would be good, those stages also have walls for you. If you need a lot of space or want to cg/tech chase/live 5ever a lot FD, DL or DC would be solid choices. You just have to figure out what you are trying to do, what the opponent's character is good/bad at and pick the stage accordingly.

yellowdee

Smash Apprentice
I personally think from a recovery standpoint that Final Destination and Fountain of Dreams are the best stages for Mario. I don't think you can really go wrong with a big stage, as long as you've got your recovery game down.

I suggest practicing all of the recovery options Mario has, both with and without a walljump. Low recoveries (I mean "kissing-the-blast-zone-low") strongly discourage aerial gimps. I like to try to break even with the Mario Tornado to keep my recovery low. On the offense, Mario's wall jump recovery lets you do crazy gimps offstage and still get back on.

Some walljump-oriented recoveries I find useful to practice are as follows:

Up-B immediately off of walljump (standard)
Air-doge diagonally upward towards stage off walljump
Stale cape Sweetspot off walljump (for stages like Final Destination)

The cool thing here is that each option covers some weaknesses of the other two options. Are opponents waiting Close to, but not directly on the ledge? Stale-cape the recovery. Are they ready to meteor spike you? Cool their jets with an air dodge. Do they think the previous two might happen? A straight-up up-B will take care of that. Mix it up, and you've got a 2/3 shot of making it back if you don't know what your opponent will do.

That said, I think Mario's edge-game advantages might get nullified on small stages such WarioWare. I'd say you're on more even terms with your opponent from a recovery standpoint.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
That said, I think Mario's edge-game advantages might get nullified on small stages such WarioWare. I'd say you're on more even terms with your opponent from a recovery standpoint.
He can edge guard just fine on that stage. He would have a problem edge guarding on big stage like FD, DL, Dracs etc with characters with multiple jumps or strong recovers because they would have more options and more room to survive.

Last edited:

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I always did hate Dreamland now when I think about it. I honestly might ban that stage often. But it might be useful against a character like Ike, Marth, Link or Roy. What do you guys think about that?

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I always did hate Dreamland now when I think about it. I honestly might ban that stage often. But it might be useful against a character like Ike, Marth, Link or Roy. What do you guys think about that?
Fireballs don't travel fast enough to effectively pressure at a distance. If you try running away from an Ike/Roy/Link and fireball spamming, it is easily dealt with / shrugged off / ignored. And Link can zone you out from a distance better, don't give him space to choke you with hitboxes.

Dreamland does nullify a bunch of Marth's platform combo shenanigans but I don't think he'll be too inconvenienced besides that.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Fireballs don't travel fast enough to effectively pressure at a distance. If you try running away from an Ike/Roy/Link and fireball spamming, it is easily dealt with / shrugged off / ignored. And Link can zone you out from a distance better, don't give him space to choke you with hitboxes.

Dreamland does nullify a bunch of Marth's platform combo shenanigans but I don't think he'll be too inconvenienced besides that.
Good point. I've had a few people tell me that I got wrecked by Oro because I counterpicked a small stage like Battlefield vs his Ike (I'm not in denial, I know I got wrecked because I'm just not good LOL (yet) ). But it got me thinking, I wish the match was recorded to see what I did wrong. I couldn't get away from Ike and the platforms weren't helping me either.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Good point. I've had a few people tell me that I got wrecked by Oro because I counterpicked a small stage like Battlefield vs his Ike (I'm not in denial, I know I got wrecked because I'm just not good LOL (yet) ). But it got me thinking, I wish the match was recorded to see what I did wrong. I couldn't get away from Ike and the platforms weren't helping me either.
Allow me to exercise my theorycraft powers. I do have experience in this match-up, but I don't know @Oro?! or you or how you play. Have you tried asking him directly though?

Mario struggles against the disjoints, because having his Fireballs ignored as well as being outranged and out-prioritized wreaks havoc with his gameplan. Stubby Arm Syndrome progresses to the final fatal stages. You essentially want to play this like Ike plays a spacie match-up: Focus on baiting and punishing so you can get in and make the most of it once you do get in. Use Mario's Dthrow chaingrab on Ike at low percents. Convert as much as you can off a single hit.

The issue being Ike has a better Dashdance, platform game and superior mobility than Mario overall, especially factoring in QD. "projectile beats QD" is a gross oversimplification; it all depends on speed and clankability, and Mario's Fireballs don't cut the mustard against an Ike player that isn't mindless. QD to Nair, Fair (more range AND eating the Fireball, surprise!!) as well as QD -> Wavedash (whether to bait or go into shield), as well as simply using opportune moments to QD attack quickly and invade Mario's space all tilt neutral in Ike's favor more than a cursory glance with have you believe. If you are used to playing Mario a certain way, or using Fireball as a crutch, you're going to have it yanked away hard by an Ike that displays awareness - and because of the sort of character he is, one with very hard punishes after all, all the good Ikes do.

Basically, step 1 is realizing that Mario has to play the game differently versus Ike. Zoning out/choking with Fireballs will not work as well, it is more a matter of getting in, sticking to him like glue and invading his space while respecting it. Outside of a jab that doesn't beat aerials and a horrendously punishable if mistimed Counters, Ike has no good way, unlike Marth, to get a character off him quick. Go in, toss him into the air so he can't grab you and follow him best you can, rendering him nearly helpless as his aerial mobility and aerials with slow start-up leave him unable to deal with you well. Course Mario's aerial mobility isn't super hot either, so platforms will actually help you. Provided you use them right. Be aware that his best option to get away in the air is a Side-B that sends him into special fall, so watch out for it or try to bait it out.

tl;dr It's tought for Mario but he can fight it out. Your recovery is also not super reliable as Ike's gigantic fair, especially with QD -> Walljump can cover a lot of your options, and Mario is slow to recover. Be very cautious offstafe, save your DJ, remember Mario has regular walljumps, not just one out of Up-B and mix it up a lot.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
That's for your in depth input. Makes me think about other match ups as well. I'll definitely ask him tomorrow if I play him again at smash101.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
I don't play as or against Mario fairly often, but from my experience he has no glaring strengths or weaknesses on most stages. Anything that has a wall for him to wall jump out of Up B is beneficial to him. I would say though that PS2 could be somewhat good for a counterpick, since there's more than enough room and two platforms to help you deal with fireballs, and his recovery can be pretty limited since he'll have to either come from above or sweetspot from below, and he won't be able to wall jump either.

fmblz

Smash Rookie
I think it definitely matters on your play style. I play very offensively, and that means I prefer smaller stages and usually platforms. Yoshi's Story is probably my favorite and I usually ban Dreamland right away. FD is good as well. I usually only tend to pick stages with a lot of space when I'm nervous against a good Marth/Roy. With their range being great, I either have to go in hard or pull waaaay back and avoid those swords

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
If you're worried about Ike grabbing you as you attempt to approach, I saw one of the pro players (m2k or pikachad) initiate on heavies by running or wavedashing in, then jumping quickly and doing a uair as you go up from the momentum. I tested it a bit and at mid percentages it can be really useful to initiate. Once they're in the air you can dair to tick up damage and then kill with his fair.

Top Bottom