• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good 2v2 partner for Ness?

Smash Cadet
I have a friend who's willing to train with me for doubles. However, he's pretty new to the game and so he hasn't set in stone his main yet. So far he's liking Donkey Kong a lot. Am I overthinking this since there are practical combos for just about every duo? Should I suggest that he mains someone who compliments Ness well? If so, who works well for that?

Aquamentii

Smash Apprentice
I think it's a gimmick but classically people partner Ness with someone with an energy projectile.... since Ness can heal from that projectile using his DownB, PSI Magnet.
If I were to rank some of these characters, based on a combination of the character's synergy and all-around goodness:
Lower
VVV
Robin (nah)
Samus (charge shot is a bit fast and scary to react to, even though it heals a lot.)
Lucas (PK Freeze is slow, SideB doesn't fully activate on PSI magnet and thus doesn't heal much, his PK Thunder is slow. On the plus side, he can heal from you)
Mario (he only has fireball, but it's easy to see coming and heals a fair bit. Plus, Mario has classically been a well rounded character for doubles)
Mewtwo (shadow ball is YUMMY but a little fast/scary, like Samus' charge shot)
Pikachu (thunderjolt / thunder are easy to see coming, which is good for you. If Pikachu's thunder connects with himself though, you can't heal from that! It'll hit you full blast. You have to jump into the lightning as it's coming down.)
Pichu (see Pikachu... his electric moves, while they heal you a lot, also hurt your partner a bit. Maybe not so good.)
Ridley (get off a stream of fireballs and you can heal SO much %. The normal heal cap is irrelevant since he launches 6 separate fireballs.)
Isabelle
Villager
(he can pocket SideB and us it on opponents for big damage, or pocket your upB and toss it back for huge healing, because his pocket makes the move stronger and thus heal for more. The sequence of, Ness uses upB -> villager pockets -> villager throws it back -> Ness heals is fast and easy, because of the huge range on pocket and PSI Magnet. The two also just have great synergy, with Ness scoring easy kills with backthrow and villager repelling enemies with slingshot. By far the best pick, and since I think villager is better than Isabelle, if there's no preference, go with Villager.)
^^^
Higher

Leap of Faith

Smash Cadet
I play with a ness all the time and I think bowser, Rob, Wolf, and surprisingly luigi. I have also had good times with inkling with ness, Characters i main who have a awful time with ness is wario and megaman. Just remember any character that can shoot **** at ness and heal him can work well and also someone who can clean up characters for ness.

Leap of Faith

Smash Cadet
and yes dk would work ok with ness since he can kill for ness but if you change dk to bowser you can kill easy and heal ness

Vincey_Boi

Smash Apprentice
Snake is also a possible character since the fact of the bombs and the projectiles ness will have an easy time floating and with the sticky being glued onto ness since ness is a floaty he can fly off stage to get the kill with the sticky on characters with good recoveries even if it is a suicide. Just watch Esam and MVD they are so fricking good.

Smash Cadet
Good to know, my partner is currently unsure about Bowser, but in singles he recently got destroyed by a good Luigi twice. Maybe he'll want to learn Luigi, thanks!!

domcarminefilix

Smash Rookie
Good to know, my partner is currently unsure about Bowser, but in singles he recently got destroyed by a good Luigi twice. Maybe he'll want to learn Luigi, thanks!!
Just know that if your friend does not like Luigi don't force him to play who he doesn't want to, it will make the game unfun for him and he might just quit. Good Luck!

Earthbound_Crew

Smash Cadet
I play Ness and my partner plays King Dedede. We are having quite a bit of succes with this team-up. Both Ness and King Dedede have moves that trap the opponents in an animation giving the other time to land a powerful hit or to perform cool combo's.

For example, when King Dedede is doing his jab combo and start twirling his hammer, the opponent gets stuck in the animation. As Ness I walk up and hit the opponent with a charching up smash from the other side. This results in trapping the opponent between the jab and my charging up smash for a ton of damage and launching them in the air. This is easy to execute. Every once in a while I see an opening when opponents get stuck in Dedede's jab and I will be able to PK thunder tackle. When King Dedede is facing away from Ness, he can suck up a PK fire/thunder and fire it even further, most opponents don't expect this. The animation of Ness' down throw gives enough time for Dedede to follow up with a dash attack. This works as a kill confirm at high percentages. There are a ton of these little combo's this pair can do.

We did not choose this combo on purpose. But we found that our mains pair up quite nicely and I have been very happy with the results for both online and offline. If your friend is into heavies with good recovery and staying power then I would recommend giving King Dedede a try.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Incineroar and Ness excel for obvious reasons: revenge PKT2 and PK flash

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
It depends on the stage and rule set. Is team attack turned on or off? Is it Final Destination or Battle Field, or another hazards off stage like Pokemon Stadium 2 without the changes for example?

Ness does exceptionally well with a rush down partner like Zero Suit Samus or Fox when it comes to larger stages. Link is also good at covering Ness with Boomerang, and can place the bomb in front of Ness to prevent opponents from wanting to approach so he can do his PK thunder jank without being hindered. Any character with mobility that can defend the slow nature of Ness while he stunts the opponent at a distance is probably the more optimal setup. Don't listen to anyone telling you to heal camp, it's FAR from viable against anyone who is half decent at the game let alone good at it.

Incineroar and Ness excel for obvious reasons: revenge PKT2 and PK flash
It's a low level gimmick that takes far too long to setup and creates more openings for being punished than it creates moments to do punishing with.

Last edited:

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
It's a low level gimmick that takes far too long to setup and creates more openings for being punished than it creates moments to do punishing with.
PK flash is for sure too slow unless it's a 2v1, but PKT2 really doesn't take long to set up. If you get someone off stage, it's not at all difficult to throw one out for easy revenge.

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
PK flash is for sure too slow unless it's a 2v1, but PKT2 really doesn't take long to set up. If you get someone off stage, it's not at all difficult to throw one out for easy revenge.
That's a 2V1 situation tho. Doubles neutral starts as 2V2, and basing a strategy in 2V1 scenarios just results in more losses than there should have been.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
That's a 2V1 situation tho. Doubles neutral starts as 2V2, and basing a strategy in 2V1 scenarios just results in more losses than there should have been.
A fair point, but getting people off stage as Ness is as easy as getting a forward throw (heck, even just an up throw followed by an immediate PKT can often be enough to make an opponent think twice about trying to immediately land on you). I dunno, maybe I'm just really lucky (or my region just really sucks at doubles lol), but I haven't struggled to set up the PKT2 revenge cheese in my doubles sets.

Last edited:
Top Bottom